Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid range battery available now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purpose built NN hardware should be cheaper than Nvidia GPUs, per chip. It will take a while to pay off the initial R&D, tapeout, etc costs, but likely within a few years they will make back that investment, and saving money from then on.

They might use the remainder of AP2.5 hardware until it runs out, but they won't keep building AP2.5 boards because the per unit cost is going to be cheaper with the NN boards and the more of them they ship the faster the per unit savings will pay off the initial costs.

It’s probably moved beyond just a new GPU at this time.

Until AP3 shows up, all cars sold will have $X cost for AP2.5 standard hw. Doesn't matter if you purchase FSD or not.

Except, it does.

Because every one that pre-bought FSD is a car they are now financially obligated to upgrade to HW3 once it's available at a cost of both the actual upgraded HW and the labor to swap the parts, and getting $0.00 extra for doing so.

By taking FSD off the menu while still shipping 2.5 HW they avoid taking on any more such financial obligations entirely.

Once HW3 is shipping from the factory they can put it back on the menu if they wish without such costs- and simply include a higher price for adding it post-delivery that covers AP2/2.5 cars needing upgrades.

I have a AWD but I can tell you that if I had a RWD LR I'd consider myself having made out like a bandit. :)
This is how I feel, more so because I also have metallic silver paint.
I think there are at most 7,000 metallic silver Model 3s in existence, and even fewer RWD LRs among those of course.
That all helps me feel better about having the black interior that I'd prefer not to have.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
It also likely means quite lower profit margins since they are slashing price by $5,000 and 16 kw of battery probably only saves them $2,000 at production.
Yeah this is what hammered the stock Friday, and is clear evidence that current US demand for the RWD LR has all but been satisfied (as @Troy 's spreadsheet has been indicating for over a month would be the case). Tesla needed to pull a different demand lever to find homes for the Q4 production of Model 3, with demand for AWD & P nearly satisfied as well.

What I'm eager to see is how Tesla handles Q1 offerings: I believe they will have to begin (left hand drive) EU deliveries despite the long transit time and higher transit cost, given that the US demand bubble will have been all but satisfied by then other than the SR demand which Tesla can't afford to focus on wholly for profit reasons. When EU orders begin, presumably RWD LR will re-appear...no sense in Tesla forcing everyone in the EU into the MR or into the AWDLR...if I were Tesla I wouldn't offer any MRs to the EU initially...see how many EU customers can be 'forced' into the highest sticker price models first, just as been the case in the US/CN. And with Tesla lately saying 4-6 months until SR, who knows whether that is factual or just a subtle marketing move to nudge US SR line-waiters to go ahead and pull the trigger now on the MR. I personally expect to see US/CN SR orders open up in Q1 at a trickle, and only if ordered with $5kPUP. We won't see a metal roofed Model 3 (aka, a $35k Model 3) until 2H19 at earliest in my opinion. And even then, I believe that only early deposit-holders will ever have a shot at a $35k Model 3. There is zero reason for Tesla to ever offer one to someone who didn't place a deposit shortly after the reveal. Inflation since then mandates a higher price on the base SR, ASAP (assuming it will sell given market conditions from any true competitors which may come along by late 2019 or 2020).

Good times. It's a really interesting chess match of sorts, between Tesla and its customer base.

Regardless, 334 is EPA for RWD LR, 260 is EPA for MR.
Correct. Now maybe it’s worth the $4k saving for some. But add some performance tires that 260 mile range already becomes 230 miles EPA range, so real world 200 mile range. Not to mention cold etc.. I think people should take these things into consideration before ordering!

My personal experience: I would not recommend the car for those who won’t stick to the aero wheels with the caps on.

Once factoring performance wheels it’s 300 miles vs 230 mile EPA range! It’s a big gap!

It turned out to be a good decision for us too because the Tesla is our primary, general purpose car. Our other car is a much more limited LEAF that performs the easy chores of a secondary car.
This is our household as well.
We are seeing 310*80% as real-world range on 80mph roadtrips.
This will obviously fall some during the winter (amount TBD), even in the South.
Combine the above with the fact that we really don't want to be running the battery too often in the 0-20% range nor in the 80-100% range, and for my household's use case the SR has never been in play, and the MR would not be in play either.
That said, I get the fact that the SR will be perfect for many people.
I do think there are plenty of first-time EV buyers who are thinking they will enjoy 220mi of real-world range from their SR and are going to get a rude awakening by the time they do 220*80%=175, minus buffer for 0-20%, minus winter temp impacts (or rainy weather impacts for that matter), and superchargers aren't perfectly placed and charge more slowly once above ~70% SOC, and the SR will not be a practical road trip car for anyone but the most patient of EV loyalists.

Use cases matter. A lot.

I mean yes and no. I was trying to convince my dad to buy the LR. He really needed the range. Now there won’t be a car with 334 miles of range any longer. He’s in Europe
I believe it is a safe bet that RWD LR will be offered to EU, once EU orders open or maybe after they first try to sell P's and AWDLRs to the EU first. I can't think of a reason why Tesla would not sell RWD LRs to the EU.

Wonder if the "off menu" includes ordering the white interior with LR RWD?
Man, now you're getting greedy!
But hey, awesome question...good luck to folks looking to pursue what would truly be a unicorn Model 3.
My bet is that very few if any RWD LRs are still going to be manufactured; the 'call to order a RWD LR' I suspect is a canvassing of existing inventory to match a car with a buyer's wallet.

Folks, say goodbye to the LR-RWD vehicle as we know it. I doubt it will ever come back in the same form. Tesla kept the same battery pack on the RWD/AWD/P vehicles for simplicity of manufacturing. At the same time they undersold the LR range so they could keep the EPA numbers across the range.

Now with the MR vehicle, Tesla will be manufacturing two variants of the "LR" battery. In order to further save $ they will probably do the same when they bring LR-AWD back by reducing cells to give the car a "true" EPA rated range of 310.

Tesla has opened Pandora's box with the MR vehicle and reducing cell counts.

• Disagree
Reactions: suwaneedad
This is our household as well.
We are seeing 310*80% as real-world range on 80mph roadtrips.
This will obviously fall some during the winter (amount TBD), even in the South.
Combine the above with the fact that we really don't want to be running the battery too often in the 0-20% range nor in the 80-100% range, and for my household's use case the SR has never been in play, and the MR would not be in play either.
That said, I get the fact that the SR will be perfect for many people.
I do think there are plenty of first-time EV buyers who are thinking they will enjoy 220mi of real-world range from their SR and are going to get a rude awakening by the time they do 220*80%=175, minus buffer for 0-20%, minus winter temp impacts (or rainy weather impacts for that matter), and superchargers aren't perfectly placed and charge more slowly once above ~70% SOC, and the SR will not be a practical road trip car for anyone but the most patient of EV loyalists.

Use cases matter. A lot.
Regarding the 80%: which tires/wheels do you have?

This is how I feel, more so because I also have metallic silver paint.
I think there are at most 7,000 metallic silver Model 3s in existence, and even fewer RWD LRs among those of course.
That all helps me feel better about having the black interior that I'd prefer not to have.
There's that, too. I doubt there's even half that many Obsidian Metal Blacks in total across all Model 3 varieties. There were only 3 paint batches of them run. IIRC early Aug, early Sept, and then the final cut-off some time late Sept. But metallic silver is relatively rare, too. Could be quite some time before those two colours get reintroduced, they'll have to be really confident in their paint shop before they try.

PUP is included (mandatory on the MR just like the LR) or 45k vs. 49k
Yeah I just went back and looked at my MV sheet and saw that, so is it really worth saving $4000 to gt 260 vs 310? considering even the 310 is never real world!!! All software limited. Does this mean the SR battery will be the battery? Did they just discontinue the LR car RWD altogether? Does this do anything to the value?