Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid range battery available now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I just went back and looked at my MV sheet and saw that, so is it really worth saving $4000 to gt 260 vs 310? considering even the 310 is never real world!!! All software limited. Does this mean the SR battery will be the battery? Did they just discontinue the LR car RWD altogether? Does this do anything to the value?
My current guess is that they removed 960 cells from the 4,416 in the LR pack to go from 80.5 kWh to 63 kWh and if we used the EPA rated 334 miles of the LR pack then this new MR pack would be approx 260 so quite a difference for 4k, not worth it to me but for some...?

Last edited:
Yeah I just went back and looked at my MV sheet and saw that, so is it really worth saving $4000 to gt 260 vs 310? considering even the 310 is never real world!!! All software limited. Does this mean the SR battery will be the battery? Did they just discontinue the LR car RWD altogether? Does this do anything to the value?

LR RWD actually does pretty good job of getting around it's EPA range, because it's EPA range is actually 334 miles. Tesla voluntarily reduced it to match the AWD EPA range (310) so that the more expensive models wouldn't seem like they were shorter range.

For now we don't know whether 260 is really the true EPA range of the MR, or if it is also sandbagged. I don't see any reason to sandbag it though. I doubt they ever introduce a MR AWD, but maybe they plan to, in which case continuing to sandbag will be necessary to avoid people asking why the MR AWD is shorter range than MR RWD, but the LR AWD and LR RWD are the "same" ...

There's that, too. I doubt there's even half that many Obsidian Metal Blacks in total across all Model 3 varieties. There were only 3 paint batches of them run. IIRC early Aug, early Sept, and then the final cut-off some time late Sept. But metallic silver is relatively rare, too. Could be quite some time before those two colours get reintroduced, they'll have to be really confident in their paint shop before they try.
Oh was it a quality issue that ended metallic silver? Mine had no issues. I just thought it was a demand issue. @Troy's sheet shows about 7% take rate (prior to it ending a month or so ago).

Also why did the timing go from within 4 weeks on RWD to now 6-10 weeks?
That change happened earlier in the week than the MR announcement. I took at is just a byproduct of manufacturing mix declining for RWD vs AWD/P, consistent with Tesla's volume announcement from early October where for some reason they took GREAT PAINS to say that nearly all current production is AWD.
I viewed "within four weeks" as meaning "we have tons of pre-built inventory scattered across the US" and "6-10 weeks" meaning "we've sold off nearly all the inventory so will likely have to actually build your RWD LR if you order one now."

Reactions: suttonlr
Oh was it a quality issue that ended metallic silver? Mine had no issues. I just thought it was a demand issue. @Troy's sheet shows about 7% take rate (prior to it ending a month or so ago).
Not a quality issue specific with silver (or OBM) per se, although metallic paints tend to be a little finicky in their own way. Pretty clear they chose the 2 least-ordered colours to cut from the colour list to KISS, so it was easier to deal with the paint shops issues and make the paint shop less of a bottleneck.

Reactions: suwaneedad
LR RWD actually does pretty good job of getting around it's EPA range, because it's EPA range is actually 334 miles. Tesla voluntarily reduced it to match the AWD EPA range (310) so that the more expensive models wouldn't seem like they were shorter range.

For now we don't know whether 260 is really the true EPA range of the MR, or if it is also sandbagged. I don't see any reason to sandbag it though. I doubt they ever introduce a MR AWD, but maybe they plan to, in which case continuing to sandbag will be necessary to avoid people asking why the MR AWD is shorter range than MR RWD, but the LR AWD and LR RWD are the "same" ...

To me, its probably not being sandbagged, since it actually states that its the EPA est. The 310mi range doesn't show the EPA est. next to it.

FWIW, small sample size so far but @Troy's sheet shows 8 MR orders, two of which were downgrades from LR RWD orders. 7of8 were from reservation holders (pulling people off the SR bench). Just 1of8 is ordering the cheapest MR offered (black/aeros/no EAP), indicating the real average selling price will continue to be higher than the theoretical low, even for those who'd largely been on the SR bench. Looks to me like Tesla is successfully transferring federal tax credit money into its pocket with this MR move, indirectly via the customer ordering high margin upgrades such as the 19s or the paint or the EAP. Great move by Tesla.

Reactions: Gavyne
My current guess is that they removed 960 cells from the 4,416 in the LR pack to go from 80.5 kWh to 63 kWh and if we used the EPA rated 334 miles of the LR pack then this new MR pack would be approx 260 so quite a difference for 4k, not worth it to me but for some...?

I have AWD, I would pay $4k more for 50 more miles of range (i.e. 360 EPA). I need the Tesla model 3 XL. I can drive my work route now with warm weather without charging (240 miles with 75MPH roads) starting at 100% and going to 8-10%. When winter comes I will have to start inserting a charge, no supercharger during the route, so I will be stuck with a 14-50 charging plug I put in at one of my businesses for this. If they put in the "future" supercharger that they have on map (of course it says 2018, but I bet it does not make it since they do not have a permit reported for it), it would be great.

No way would I consider mid range - even with a supercharger on the route.

What if it's just a software limited and the battery is the same as the long range. Wouldn't surprise me if they did that. If they didn't say that the battery was different it would piss off all buyers that already purchased.

Except it's repeatedly and explicitly been confirmed that's not the case, including the obvious evidence of the cars having significantly different weights.

Reactions: MXWing
What if it's just a software limited and the battery is the same as the long range. Wouldn't surprise me if they did that. If they didn't say that the battery was different it would piss off all buyers that already purchased.

Tesla said it’s different. And if they lied they will get caught really fast when the first Mid Range car is delivered. Just go weigh it.

Huh? What delivery and other problems? Dude it’s fine now.

Writes the guy in SoCal.

Ask the people elsewhere who're still dealing with quality lotteries, canceled deliveries and documentation problems.

Some people get to check out the car at a delivery center and take it so a service center to get stuff fixed.
I get home delivery and live 200 miles from a service center.

Good luck missing the tax credit. Trump will can it all and $0 in 2019! Then you’ll regret it.

As much as the MR should be quite a good deal compared to an SR if you can get it by the end of the year, I have an even better deal available: keep driving my current vehicle for as long as it works, and see whether Tesla can really deliver on the key promise that is the reason why I'm interested in the company.

Reactions: cwerdna