Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid range battery available now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm concerned about getting delivery by 12/31. My neighbor ordered the MR online Saturday and within minutes got a delivery date on the order page of 12/18. I ordered Sunday and still have no date on my order page as of Sunday night. Tesla has had my $1000 deposit since day 1 in 2016 whereas my neighbor never made a deposit so I would hope to get some priority. For those that ordered the MR have you gotten a delivery date?

I'm concerned about getting delivery by 12/31. My neighbor ordered the MR online Saturday and within minutes got a delivery date on the order page of 12/18. I ordered Sunday and still have no date on my order page as of Sunday night. Tesla has had my $1000 deposit since day 1 in 2016 whereas my neighbor never made a deposit so I would hope to get some priority. For those that ordered the MR have you gotten a delivery date?

He got an instant delivery date for a MR order?!?

Anyone else with an MR order have a date or VIN yet?

I called service to have my pickup location changed from Indy to Fremont to "guarantee" my Friday morning MR order (switched from 10/15 LR order) is delivered by the end of the year and we will use the opportunity to (and justify the extra sales tax by) visiting friends and family on the road trip back to IN. They told me the OA would be able to handle that change, but so far radio silence. Would it be worth calling the Indy service center rather than main 888 number to find out my status?

He got an instant delivery date for a MR order?!?

Anyone else with an MR order have a date or VIN yet?

I called service to have my pickup location changed from Indy to Fremont to "guarantee" my Friday morning MR order (switched from 10/15 LR order) is delivered by the end of the year and we will use the opportunity to (and justify the extra sales tax by) visiting friends and family on the road trip back to IN. They told me the OA would be able to handle that change, but so far radio silence. Would it be worth calling the Indy service center rather than main 888 number to find out my status?

They had to “manually” change my configuration Monday when I decided to go with the MR and my account still shows the old configuration. I think they queue up these changes and it is just taking a while to work through them.

if the LR is now permanently behind the AWD paywall then they lost a customer in me.

I´m not paying for a 2nd DU that I absolutely have no use for but absolutely need the LR battery if I don`t wan`t to be the snail on the right lane here in germany......

Your complaint makes no sense. LR AWD will allow you to drive faster on the Autobahn. Considering that LR AWD costs only $4k more than LR RWD used to be, great price for faster acceleration, higher top speed, and access to white interiors option.

Your complaint makes no sense. LR AWD will allow you to drive faster on the Autobahn. Considering that LR AWD costs only $4k more than LR RWD used to be, great price for faster acceleration, higher top speed, and access to white interiors option.
Sorry, that`s nonsense rwd is already plenty fast and the top speed is more than enough. All i want is the battery power to actually drive longer periods of time at higher speeds.
The 2nd DU is absolutely unnecessary and just like PUP I won`t pay a single cent for that.

Reactions: GWord and Dana1
Sorry, that`s nonsense rwd is already plenty fast and the top speed is more than enough. All i want is the battery power to actually drive longer periods of time at higher speeds.
The 2nd DU is absolutely unnecessary and just like PUP I won`t pay a single cent for that.

Cool, have fun finding another EV that travels 300mi, with a top speed suitable for Autobahn, and at the price range of around $53k.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I don`t care if it`s an ICE or an EV, so I got plenty to choose from, don`t worry. I was drawn to Tesla because of the AP- FSD promise mainly...but the state of that is pretty much a big "wait"-flag either, so....

I have a hunch that the LR RWD will return. I think Tesla came out with the MR model to convince anyone waiting for SR to jump up to MR to take advantage of the full US rebate. Tesla makes extra money over the SR while it only cost the buyer an extra $1250 (assuming they wanted PUP) vs waiting for SR in 2019.

Once Tesla will have the SR available, they will drop the MR and likely reintroduce LR RWD (just in time for non-North America sales).

Reactions: GregRF and Stirfelt

I ordered on 10/21 and haven’t seen anything but I’ll look back through the paperwork. I ordered mine using a family member’s tesla.com email so hopefully will get delivery before the end of the year.

Last edited:
Interesting....fluke? I'm a pre-reveal day holder as well and ordered on the night of the 18th when the change happened and I haven't heard from them yet either....

Also, is the charger in the MR 40 or 48 amp - which I think was the other SR/LR difference if I recall.
Neither.
It hasn't been confirmed, but the standard battery is a different architecture and that's not done yet and won't be until February. Remember that the charger is built into the pack itself (iirc), so if they are using the same pack with fewer cells, it should be the exact same 48 A charger.
And, the above re: the OBC turned out to be wrong.

Onboard Charger finally got updated recently (thanks to another thread here on TMC) to indicate the 3 SR and MR have 32 amp OBCs.

• Informative
Reactions: ggies07
Onboard Charger finally got updated recently (thanks to another thread here on TMC) to indicate the 3 SR and MR have 32 amp OBCs.
I've owned my Model 3 LR since June. Number of times L2 charging has exceeded 32 Amps: Zero
I really do appreciate owning the higher rated OBC but opportunities to take advantage of it seem few. That darn Supercharger network steals the show.

I've owned my Model 3 LR since June. Number of times L2 charging has exceeded 32 Amps: Zero
I really do appreciate owning the higher rated OBC but opportunities to take advantage of it seem few.
FWIW, 2 folks in my group at work have LR RWD 3's (therefore 48 amp OBC). Actually, we have a ton of Teslas (over 100 Teslas in our internal registry but not all of them show up every day, let alone charge every day) of all makes (except only 1 Roadster) at my work. We have a couple HPWCs on 100 amp circuits (80 amp max output).

One guy keeps "forgetting"/forgetting to bring his J1772 adapter so he can't use our Chargepoint L2 stations (30 amp max) and he complains that it's too slow. He says he puts on about 80 miles/day but at least he can charge at home.

Another guy lives over 50 miles from work (almost all highway) and until under a week ago, he couldn't charge at home except at 120 volts. He hated using Chargepoint L2 for the speed reasons. Charging at 48 amps was 60% faster than 30 amps. If he gets in too late (which he kinda has to as his commute is horrible), he may not be able to get to a ChargePoint handle until the afternoon. And, he'd have to juggle/get lucky trying to get an open Tesla HPWC handle as they get filled quickly and aren't networked. We have no way of remotely checking when a HPWC connected vehicle is done or whether the Tesla charging spaces are occupied.

(We also have other problems w/sharing the WCs such as the stupid Tesla connector remaining locked to the car after charging is done w/no option for the driver to alter this behavior. They need to be monitoring internal communications channels and unlocking remotely (which also apparently times out and relocks). Also, we haven't found the trick to open the charging door on an X w/o the key or w/o pinging the driver. It's easy on an S and easy on the 3, if you know the trick.

And, we have also mystery cars who aren't in our registry :( + the plethora of new Teslas w/no plates yet.)

Of the Teslas at my work, their max OBC amperage run the whole gamut from 40 amps to 80 amps, and soon 32 amps.

I will agree that if charging over J1772 in public or work, very few are over 30 or 32 amps.

When MRs and SRs show up, I think we'll need signage to tell those drivers to use our ChargePoint stations instead, leaving the WCs open for higher amperage OBC cars. At 208 volts, the speed difference between 30 and 32 amps is negligible.

Last edited:
Back to the over 50 mile each way commute couldn't really charge at home guy (w/LR 3) ... if he is able to charge at 30 amps at 208 volts (our supply voltage at work) on ChargePoint L2, after 4 hours, almost 25 kWh would've come out of the "wall". If he uses our Tesla WCs, he'd have sucked down almost 40 kWh.

Admittedly, I have been away from my computer, and I honestly do not know ......

I've read this entire thread and there is a lot of speculating and opinions expressed.
What do we actually know about the MR?

Last week, not that much. This week, after we apparently got access to the electronic parts catalog, quite a bit: 62 kWh pack - and a different rear drive motor that's shared with the SR version:

https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/47412

Not sure how meaningful the title is, but IGBT instead of MOSFET. FWIW, the induction front motor is also called IGBT in the title - not sure if that's relevant.