Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid-Range Battery Warranty: 100,000 or 120,000 miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed a discrepancy between what I see in My Tesla account and what is written in the "NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY" pdf (https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf):

1. Website says: Battery and Drive Unit: 8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first.
2. The PDF says:
  • Model 3 with Standard or Mid-Range Battery - 8 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity* over the warranty period.
What will be the correct number of miles the Mid-Range battery is warranted for?

Where are you seeing 120,000 on the website? You mean your vehicle details page? I see 100,000 here:

Vehicle Warranty
  • Model 3 with Standard or Mid-Range Battery - 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
  • Model 3 with Long-Range Battery - 8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

Yep, just checked and we have the same discrepancy as well for our mid-range . My guess is the official warranty document (the PDF) is correct.

The document is dated Feb-1. The thing is that, and I’m not sure 100% on this, I have a memory of the PDF not having the reference to Mid-Range having just 100k miles.

Maybe someone have a copy of an older PDF (pre-Feb-1)?

The document is dated Feb-1. The thing is that, and I’m not sure 100% on this, I have a memory of the PDF not having the reference to Mid-Range having just 100k miles.

Maybe someone have a copy of an older PDF (pre-Feb-1)?

Correct!

There was no mid-range battery warranty published before except for what appeared on your account page.

Tesla then published mid-range battery warranty on both the web and PDF which reduce what you see on your account.

My interpretation is: For those who bought Mid-Range prior to the public revision, you are grandfathered with whatever you see on your own account.

Correct!

There was no mid-range battery warranty published before except for what appeared on your account page.

Tesla then published mid-range battery warranty on both the web and PDF which reduce what you see on your account.

My interpretation is: For those who bought Mid-Range prior to the public revision, you are grandfathered with whatever you see on your own account.
Hope so.

Reactions: SergeyUser
Correct!

Are people who bought their MR cars after February 1 seeing 120K or 100K on their Vehicle Details page?

I'd like to think that I'm grandfathered, but I'm not leaving it to chance. I printed my Vehicle Details page that shows 120K to a PDF file for posterity's sake... just in case they decide to later say "oops, we used the LR specs as basis for creating the MR specs and forgot to change that number on your vehicle details page". Every once in a while, I will recheck that page and, if it still shows 120K, I'll save a new PDF with the new timestamp. My feeling is that the longer this goes unchanged, the better case I will have to assert that 120K miles is the intended warranty range for my car's battery and drive unit and I will have the documentation to show that it wasn't just an oversight for the first few months after introducing the MR. Of course, they could simply counter that they provide a "View" link on that warranty line and the onus is on me to read the actual limited warranty document there, which clearly shows 100K.

Last edited:
When Mid Range was on sale on October 2018, the website and pdf file did not publically mention Mid Range. Only Long Range and Standard Range.

jc7OtEo.jpg

However, privately on owner's account page, Mid Range got 120,000 mile warranty.

Not until the end of 2018 that both public website and pdf file inserted Mid Range with the reduced 100,000 mile warranty.

h18xiT6.jpg

My guess is those who did not beat the deadline by not getting delivery before the public web posting and pdf would miss the boat.

How to find out if you miss the boat or made it? Just look at your account's page!

When Mid Range was on sale on October 2018, the website and pdf file did not publically mention Mid Range. Only Long Range and Standard Range.

See this post where someone mentions on Oct 18 that the MR warranty was less.
Mid range battery available now?

I'm pretty sure the reduced warranty was on the order page the day MR was introduced. I remember it because I actually ordered an MR on Oct 19th (which I later changed to LR) knowing that the warranty was reduced for MR.

...I'm pretty sure the reduced warranty was on the order page the day MR was introduced...

I have no doubt that there was a reduced MR warranty somewhere prior to 12/30/2018 but specifically, for the public warranty page and PDF, MR battery/drive unit warranty was absent and it was only inserted as of 12/30/2018.

It's a background to shine the light on the confusion and not to challenge whether who's right or wrong.

In summary, what counts is what is on your account page.

Document your account page (take a picture of it) if you want to keep those spec the same.

Tesla has the right to change specs, prices, terms and conditions at any time without your knowledge.

However, usually, once you paid for it, Tesla needs to notify you why it degrades what you paid for.

And if you don't have proof of what you paid for because your current account page has changed, then it's just a very hard case to crack.

I also made a screenshot of my account page, just in case. I'm not sure it will help, however.

It is not rare in Tesla that a product is produced with confusion on what final decisions would be.

When Model S and X were first produced, there were no prices for pre-paid Maintenance Service Plans and Extended Service Agreement until months later.

The same is happening with no announcement for pre-paid Maintenance Service Plans and Extended Service Agreement since 7/28/2017 or more than 1 and a half years later.

The proper way for Telsa to do prior to producing the Mid-Range is to post its warranty terms on public warranty website and pdf as it did on 12/30/2018 or 2 and a half months later. It's true that it was posted somewhere or verbally mentioned by someone but not on a usual acceptable legal location of warranty web page and pdf.

I speculate that the numbers of grandfathered owners for that 2 and a half month period might be very small compared to future millions so I think Tesla will own up to its mistake and honor the grandfathered owners.