Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid-range changes in range or battery degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@eethan, you may be right, but I didn't respond to that survey since it wasn't for MR. But of course we basically have the LR pack.

Maybe we should do a survey just for the MR users. Probably not statistically accurate with only a half dozen responses ;)

I have a late 2018 model 3 mid range with 22,482 miles on it. I unplugged it today to leave for work and I flipped the display to show miles and not range and i saw well under 220 , i believe it was 212. I charge it to 90% every night. I moved it back to energy on the display. I am going to track it over the new week or so to get the SOC on my battery after charging to 90%. I had a ticket with Tesla opened a few months ago on the battery and tesla support recommend i take the charge down to 10% and back to full over 4-5 days. I have to say looking at 212-214 @ 90% today is a far cry away from the 264 i originally purchased. Doug

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
The battery range is being limited by software, mine included. That's why we're all getting around 250 miles at 100% charge.

Tesla added the software limitation to ensure battery longevity, so that they don't have to replace too many batteries under warranty.

The LR, AWD, P models are seeing much less degradation - only ~10 miles total according to this survey:

Battery degradation on Model 3 - only with long range battery pack

I would assume the SR+ degradation would also be small, since the battery pack was specifically designed for that car.

At the end of the day, we are getting nearly the same range as a SR+, which itself has 250 miles range brand new.

If the midrange battery degradation gets worse, or the SW limitation needs to increase, then our car's range may even fall below that of the SR+ !
Why the MR and not the others?

I have a late 2018 model 3 mid range with 22,482 miles on it. I unplugged it today to leave for work and I flipped the display to show miles and not range and i saw well under 220 , i believe it was 212. I charge it to 90% every night. I moved it back to energy on the display. I am going to track it over the new week or so to get the SOC on my battery after charging to 90%. I had a ticket with Tesla opened a few months ago on the battery and tesla support recommend i take the charge down to 10% and back to full over 4-5 days. I have to say looking at 212-214 @ 90% today is a far cry away from the 264 i originally purchased. Doug

Same here 2018 december built MR, down to 201 at 90%mine only has 3400 miles on it. service ticket said this was around what other MR cars were getting. thats all fine and dandy but i didnt pay extra to get less range than current cheaper offerings.

for the MR record, I have a December 2018 MR, usually charged to 90% from around 60-70%, have now switched to 80% a couple of weeks ago (get 197miles), have driven 9000+miles, short daily commute (~30miles total), most charges are at home, a few long trips when I use superchargers and also 100% (a total of 4 times now), Below teslafi report (I am on 2019.36.2.1, the high bump coincides with updates)

upload_2019-11-23_10-34-37.png

I have Mod 3 Mid Range (December 2018) with 20K mile as of today. My range dropped dramatically within two months from 264 to 236 now. Tesla keeps telling me I'm within the range but loosing 11% in the first year is a lot in my opinion. I charge daily at work with L2 charger to 81% and never go below 30% of charge. I charged to 100% maybe 4 to 5 times for the entire year and occasionally used Superchargers. I don't speed or accelerate. Drive normally. (for those who want to see how much you will get without actually charging to 100% use your phone up and slide the battery limit to 100%. the maximum charge will show on the left side of the battery display)

My wife's 2015 Models S 85D still shows 262 miles when fully charged. She always use the Supercharges.

I'm suspecting that Tesla by eliminating Mid Range model used their software to keep only Standard and Long Range, unfortunate, downgrading Mid Range customers. Pretty similar thing happened with my Autopilot which I added for $2000 two months after I purchased my vehicle. The invoice for the Autopilot upgrade used to show in my account. Now it is gone and Autopilot appears as a standard option.

Perhaps I'm incorrect but can someone give me a better explanation?

I have Mod 3 Mid Range (December 2018) with 20K mile as of today. My range dropped dramatically within two months from 264 to 236 now. Tesla keeps telling me I'm within the range but loosing 11% in the first year is a lot in my opinion. I charge daily at work with L2 charger to 81% and never go below 30% of charge. I charged to 100% maybe 4 to 5 times for the entire year and occasionally used Superchargers. I don't speed or accelerate. Drive normally. (for those who want to see how much you will get without actually charging to 100% use your phone up and slide the battery limit to 100%. the maximum charge will show on the left side of the battery display)

My wife's 2015 Models S 85D still shows 262 miles when fully charged. She always use the Supercharges.

I'm suspecting that Tesla by eliminating Mid Range model used their software to keep only Standard and Long Range, unfortunate, downgrading Mid Range customers. Pretty similar thing happened with my Autopilot which I added for $2000 two months after I purchased my vehicle. The invoice for the Autopilot upgrade used to show in my account. Now it is gone and Autopilot appears as a standard option.

Perhaps I'm incorrect but can someone give me a better explanation?
Your charging habits are most likely contributing to cell imbalance since you rarely ever charge to 90%. It has been stated many times on this forum that the BMS doesn’t balance cells until you are at 90% or above. Now that the weather is warmer, set your charging level to 90% and leave it that way for a month or two to allow the BMS to do its job. You may see a lot of this range loss come back.

Your charging habits are most likely contributing to cell imbalance since you rarely ever charge to 90%. It has been stated many times on this forum that the BMS doesn’t balance cells until you are at 90% or above. Now that the weather is warmer, set your charging level to 90% and leave it that way for a month or two to allow the BMS to do its job. You may see a lot of this range loss come back.

Thank you for the info. I will definitely do that and post my results.

Thank you for the info. I will definitely do that and post my results.
No problem. It's also recommended to let the battery get down to about 20% before charging, for balancing purposes. A lot of charging in the middle percentages makes it hard for the BMS to determine actual state of charge (SOC). Its theorized that Tesla is being conservative when there is uncertainty in BMS SOC values causing the display to show lower max range than it really is. This way it lessens the risk of having a shutdown prior to hitting "0" miles on the display. The car shuts down when the cell module with the lowest voltage hits the minimum allowed voltage. If you have a large imbalance, then you are artificially reducing your range because some cells/modules never get charged to their full potential since charging stops when any module hits 4.2 volts, regardless of the state of the other modules. This is why balancing is important.

It's all BMS and I believe it's all lifetime wh/mi dependent... which is really dependent on seasons and driving behavior.

I have a late 2018 M3 MR as well, 22,276 miles as of this morning. I charge to 60-70% daily, depending on need. This morning I was at 71% with 182 miles of range... equates to 255 miles or so. My last 100% charge was 2 weeks ago, 256 miles. Numbers are dead on for me.

One observation, this last summer I was about 12K miles and my lifetime average wh/mi was 232 and range was 260 (60.32 KWH battery capacity). Winter use up'ed my wh/mi to 235 and my range is now 256 or 60.16 KWH battery capacity. I am estimating about 3% degradation, which I have no issues with. I really think display range will suffer with a lot of heater use and aggressive acceleration.

It's all BMS and I believe it's all lifetime wh/mi dependent... which is really dependent on seasons and driving behavior.
The charge you see when you end up charging the car or in the app slider is NOT lifetime nor anything else consumptionwise dependent. It is a flat constant that Tesla uses depending on your model and battery pack that only changes if Tesla changes it via Firmware update (like they did on the RWD Models to "add" 15 miles - they just adjustet that constant lower)
You can actually see the value in your energy graph -the straight line.

This should actually be a common information by now since Tesla has been using this method since almost the beginning. Not sure why people still don't know this.

The charge you see when you end up charging the car or in the app slider is NOT lifetime nor anything else consumptionwise dependent.

NOPE. When you first get your car, you can set the trip meter to track lifetime consumption. Someone posted this back in 2018 and I set my car when I picked it up.

Google Image Result for https://i.redd.it/a8ykdq3pmht21.jpg

If you take your odometer reading and total KWH use, it calculates wh/mi exactly. Lifetime wh/mi is totally dependent on driving habits, weather condition and car configuration.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Yeah and mine is at 350Wh/m and I still get 306 miles on an AWD shown at 100%. How does that math add up "exactly"? I guess I have the new 100kWh pack...
What you are describing is called GoM - every EV uses it EXCEPT Tesla...

I am not even going to argue with you, this is like arguing with flat earthers - think whatever you want...

NOPE. When you first get your car, you can set the trip meter to track lifetime consumption. Someone posted this back in 2018 and I set my car when I picked it up.

If you take your odometer reading and total KWH use, it calculates wh/mi exactly. Lifetime wh/mi is totally dependent on driving habits, weather condition and car configuration.
This is incorrect for my M3MR at least

Yeah sorry, @TJKR. This is incorrect. It's a constant. In your energy graph, that horizontal line labeled "rated" is the same on every car that's the same model and it never changes. Tesla takes the nominal pack remaining (which you can read with a CANBUS scanner) and multiplies by that number to get what it displays on the range. There are many many many examples of this if you don't have the tool to read the pack remaining yourself.

No problem. It's also recommended to let the battery get down to about 20% before charging, for balancing purposes. A lot of charging in the middle percentages makes it hard for the BMS to determine actual state of charge (SOC). Its theorized that Tesla is being conservative when there is uncertainty in BMS SOC values causing the display to show lower max range than it really is. This way it lessens the risk of having a shutdown prior to hitting "0" miles on the display. The car shuts down when the cell module with the lowest voltage hits the minimum allowed voltage. If you have a large imbalance, then you are artificially reducing your range because some cells/modules never get charged to their full potential since charging stops when any module hits 4.2 volts, regardless of the state of the other modules. This is why balancing is important.

As promised I'm posting my findings after 2 months of charging from 20% - 90%. I now see 253 miles on the full charge. It is still going so I will continue this process for the next month or so. Not sure if charging to 90% is healthy for the battery. I was told to do that only if I have to and 80% is the best way to go. I did drain the battery to 5% perhaps once or twice but my miles are definitely coming back comparing to 240 miles before. I hope in a month I will see something closer to 260 miles. Additionally my lifetime Wh/Mil usage is 240.