Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid-range changes in range or battery degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 Mid-range was built in December 2018 and when it came out it had an advertised range of 260 and through software updates got a small bump to to 265....

My normal use is between 50 to 100 miles every day and I would do home charging every night to 80% at its max 32 amps because Tesla says a happy Tesla is one that is plugged in. Never used a supercharger because I was trying to stave off 1st year battery degradation.

A few weeks ago I did a road trip and charged at home to 100% ... problem is 100% only equated to 250 miles of range. After the trip I read online about discharging low 10% then charging back up high to 90% to reset the BMS.

Okay cool, I did that 3 times yet when I compare the miles and percent battery the overall range is still limited to 250.

Are other mid range owners seeing this also?

Has Tesla been reducing range with software updates? I’m on 2019.20.4.4.

Am I seeing battery degradation?

Should I take it into Tesla?

I’m not happy that I’m only 10 miles above a SR+ because I certainly didn’t pay SR+ prices.

Not sure if this helps you.... but I also have Mid Range dec 2018 build and right now it's showing 153 mi on the range display at 58% state-of-charge. If I do the math to check what 100% would be, i get 153/0.58 = 263.8 mi.

However, I have never charged it to 100%, so I don't know if it would actually display 264 if I did that. My daily usage is about 50 mi and I charge every night to 80%

You shouldn’t take it to Tesla because it’s not a warranty issue unless battery capacity goes below 70% per the warranty and you’re at 94%. I have an MR also and have the Stats app. With the Stats app I can see capacity as high as 265 miles when I first started using the app as well as now at 9,700 miles. I’ve gone on two long trips when I charged to 100% the first time, it showed 258 miles and I was disappointed. When I charged to 100% again I got 263 miles and was happy.

In short, don’t worry and be happy

Attached is my battery graph from the Stats app. It is trending down but I have a recent point that is showing 265 so I’m good with that.

Attachments

• 456C352A-29B8-4AC4-8198-7282C9200F7A.jpeg
    456C352A-29B8-4AC4-8198-7282C9200F7A.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
I have a LR dual motor and my car has become software limited to 295 miles at 100% since 16.2 dropped. Literally just before that software update, I got 304-307 miles at 100% (both at actual charges and extrapolated from 80% and 90%).

This change is based on a software algorithm and not necessarily due to degradation. I suspect this is what you are seeing on your mid range. I would not worry about the drop in miles unless it continues to decline precipitously. You may find your range at 100% actually increases with future software updates, depending on how the BMS software is tweaked.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Hi, My mid-range was built In November, and I drive about 50 miles a day (am close to 12,000 miles). About two months ago there was a software update and right away at the next charge the display on my mileage driving range dropped about 3%. Prior to that I was regularly getting exactly 264 miles per charge.

I use supercharging station two times a week and charge to 85%. One thing I noticed during charge that if battery is charged at 50% the equivalent of the mileage range is closer to the 264 miles range. When it reaches 80% that’s when the mileage range starts dropping drastically almost getting 1% = 1.5 miles instead of 1% = 2.64 miles. I suspect that software update put some protective measures when charging the battery. I haven’t done 100% charging yet, but I plan to do it at home tonight or tomorrow. I suspect I’m going to get 150 miles of range if not less. Thanks

Charged it to 100% tonight at my level 2 charger at home and got 254 miles. 10 mile loss at almost 12,000 miles driven. Not sure if it’s battery degradation or some kind of software tweak. I suspect it is software since, based on the reports on this forum, this happened to many at the same time when that software update happened. From what I read I also expect most of battery degradation to happen during the first year. Hope we hear something from Tesla!

My L3MUR was also manufactured in December 2018. An 80% charge is giving me 210 miles of range indicated. If I recall, the L3MUR was rated at 264 miles X .8 = 211 miles, so I'm missing 1 mile. No big deal. People have always said that the Li-ion battery will lose a few % capacity in the first year, and then level off. I don't know if that's still true with all the new chemistry tweaks.

Reactions: intenost
Just to clarify something here, 5% degradation after first year and 15k miles is pretty good overall. That should put your car at about 70% @ 10 years and 150k miles (degradation is usually not a straight line). For an electric car, that's as expected.

Did they stop making mid-range model3 after December 2018? That's when mine was built also. I've never charged it to 100% but mine calculates to 257-262 regularly. I've had it 3mo, 5,513mi, 227Wh/mi

I don't have my L2 charger yet so I've been trickle charging First 2mo to "90%" which was rarely achieved because it took over a week to counter my driving (I do a 240mi round trip 1or2x a month and charge at parents house). Now setting at 80%. When I get my L2 next month I'm planning to charge every other day.

I'm curious as to your guys's Wh/mi? Maybe hard-driving could yield a lower Max SoC?

Did they stop making mid-range model3 after December 2018? That's when mine was built also. I've never charged it to 100% but mine calculates to 257-262 regularly. I've had it 3mo, 5,513mi, 227Wh/mi

I don't have my L2 charger yet so I've been trickle charging First 2mo to "90%" which was rarely achieved because it took over a week to counter my driving (I do a 240mi round trip 1or2x a month and charge at parents house). Now setting at 80%. When I get my L2 next month I'm planning to charge every other day.

I'm curious as to your guys's Wh/mi? Maybe hard-driving could yield a lower Max SoC?

Mine was built in early March, took possession at the end of the month. No degradation yet, 4 k miles, lifetime wh/mi at 212, mostly charging to 70-80% daily at 120v 12 amps to deal with daily commute, occaisional supercharges for longer trips, some local leve 2 charging when I can cop some free electrons.

Charged it to 100% tonight at my level 2 charger at home and got 254 miles. 10 mile loss at almost 12,000 miles driven. Not sure if it’s battery degradation or some kind of software tweak. I suspect it is software since, based on the reports on this forum, this happened to many at the same time when that software update happened. From what I read I also expect most of battery degradation to happen during the first year. Hope we hear something from Tesla!
i see the same issue too? after a software update, it started showing less range.

My Model 3 Mid-range was built in December 2018 and when it came out it had an advertised range of 260 and through software updates got a small bump to to 265....

My normal use is between 50 to 100 miles every day and I would do home charging every night to 80% at its max 32 amps because Tesla says a happy Tesla is one that is plugged in. Never used a supercharger because I was trying to stave off 1st year battery degradation.

A few weeks ago I did a road trip and charged at home to 100% ... problem is 100% only equated to 250 miles of range. After the trip I read online about discharging low 10% then charging back up high to 90% to reset the BMS.

Okay cool, I did that 3 times yet when I compare the miles and percent battery the overall range is still limited to 250.

Are other mid range owners seeing this also?

Has Tesla been reducing range with software updates? I’m on 2019.20.4.4.

Am I seeing battery degradation?

Should I take it into Tesla?

I’m not happy that I’m only 10 miles above a SR+ because I certainly didn’t pay SR+ prices.
About a zillion threads on this. If accuracy is important to you use battery percentage, not miles.

Degradation is measured at so many more points than just charging to 100% and seeing what the rated milage is. Look into the first few years of Leaf ownership, when Nissan spent a ton of time trying to educate owners. One mistake they made was making the 'miles remaining' gauge estimation based off of miles/kw....it basically became known as the GOM (guess-O-meter)...Best advice I can give is to develop good charging habits, and to drive the car. The car is immensely smart, and getting smarter each day. If there is a problem, it will let you know.

Reactions: Dana1
add me to the list of "250" range for 100%. currently getting 200m range at 80%. started after getting an update while car was in service center last month (sorry dont know what version it was, has been updated since i believe, but currently is 2019.28.2). wouldnt care if it was a few miles but this is 15miles overnight, and seems to be a software/firmware issue.

Reactions: hcw0818