Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid-Range Real World Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone provide what their typical real-world range is in the Mid-Range model? I know a good round about number for the SR+ is between 200 and 220 on a full charge, but I can’t seem to find anything on the Mid-Range model.

I keep going back and forth between a used Mid-Range with EAP and a new SR+ and just can’t decide.

Thanks!

Reactions: E Dizzle
Speaking as a 2018 LR RWD owner, I'd say get all the range you can afford. You can add software options later on if you run into some extra money. You can't change (upgrade) the battery. If 200-220 miles full range is acceptable to you, realize that you are more likely to get 170-190 miles in actual use since you're not going to run down the battery to 0%. That's best case in the summer; winter range will decrease somewhat.

It kinda depends on how much battery degredation the Mid range car would have, like most used model 3s (used EVs really). The difference is the Mid range car will come with the premium sound system, likely fog lights, frunk baggage hooks, and homelink.

It has the "premium" interior option so everything the LR / RWD and AWD cars had at the time, was in the mid range. It was really a good deal while it lasted.

As another point of reference I purchased my LeMR in 2018 and show about 246 at 100% and daily get 220 consistently at 90%. I feel my degradation is a little high normal. I am very happy with my LeMR and it was in a sweet spot as far as price and features, it also saw quite a bit of increase in 0-60 more than other models with updates!

My late 2018 MidRange now shows 252 miles near full charge. When it was new I think I once saw 262. I charge it on 120 volts at home and at Superchargers on trips.

How much real range you get depends on temp but mostly on how you drive. If you drive 65-70 MPH on good highways you can generally get the theoretical.

The "range is king" argument runs into this: All Long Range models come with two motors, which aren't generally important, they use more power and cost significantly more. They're probably better in snow/ice, haven't tried that. A dual motor M3 apparently cannot actually run on the other if one motor sub-system fails. A single motor Model 3 is a plenty fast and powerful car IMHO, unless you're a racer or a speeder.

The Midrange (Premium) interior is nicer than the new SR+. With EAP it's basically got FSD as of Summer 2020. How are the tires?

Last edited:
Speaking as a 2018 LR RWD owner, I'd say get all the range you can afford. You can add software options later on if you run into some extra money. You can't change (upgrade) the battery. If 200-220 miles full range is acceptable to you, realize that you are more likely to get 170-190 miles in actual use since you're not going to run down the battery to 0%. That's best case in the summer; winter range will decrease somewhat.

Totally 100% agree. If you drive 100 miles or less a day, then the SR, SR+ or MR are fine but like me I drive up to160 miles a day and I think the LR is "enough". Wind and temperature are big factors. No one drives from 100% to 0% so let's say the good range is 80%-20%. So that's 60% of the battery, 60% of 240 miles is 144 miles. Now lose 25% from that for winter driving, now you're down to 108 miles. Now add wind, or snow covered roads and that becomes less than 100 miles.

Ach! If we only had that heated steering wheel for cold weather :D

With my MR I just did a ~250 mile trip with some big hills and dales, a lot of freeway at 75-85 MPH, and beat the MR rated by quite a bit. Of course you don't drive it down to 0. Started out with 90%. Stopped to charge once so I wouldn't get home on under 10%. After a while you realize the best way is to periodically stop at Superchargers for say 10-15 minutes, grab a coffee, hit the can, but not waste time charging to more than say 60%.

So it's not just the cost: I dunno if uninterrupted driving for a full LR charge is good for your bladder :p

Last edited:
Reactions: pipestem
Love my MR and confirm mileage comments above. Been on several long trips no problem with range between stops. Definitely make the short stops. 32 amp (8KW) restriction is for AC charging, I get 120 KW from super chargers around here.

• Helpful
Reactions: E Dizzle
I’ve got a first quarter 2019 build lemur, 12 k miles so far, show 254 at 100% charge. I routinely get 210 freeway miles @70 mph or so on 100% Down to 10% charge. Much better driving slower of course. 99% charged at home on 120v 15 amp. Summer sees a typical commute of 10 miles rt @ 190-210 wh/ m on the 30 mile average screen.

I got a nice deal on the car in the end of quarter rush, the premium interior and range made it a no brainer compared to the Sr I was waiting for. Sw updates make it a better car than it was a year ago.

I have a 2019 MR and my mileage is comparable to what the others are reporting. I don't even think about range unless I'm going on a road trip. Then, in all honestly, the lack of range becomes a hassle.

One thing I will add though, the premium stereo is quite good. I love just cruising and listening to some tunes. Even though I live in a warm climate, my wife appreciates the seat heaters too. Those bells and whistles definitely make the MR more appealing. I'm quite happy with my purchase.

Reactions: pipestem
Status
Not open for further replies.