Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid Range waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't have to do it ahead of time. You can do it at the last moment. Keep in mind that CarMax's quotes are only valid for a very short time, like a week or so. So it makes sense to get a quote from them a week before the delivery date to be safe.

Thanks. I sold another vehicle to carmax earlier this year and I feel like they gave me 7 days for the quote. But I'll double check before I go. But Nov 24th delivery and 7 days I should be good anytime this week.

No. VIN's are assigned randomly. Cars eligible for the rebate have nothing to do with VIN numbers. All vehicles delivered before 11:59 PM on 12/31/18 are eligible.
Thanks for the clarification.

When you say eligible .. are you implying that even if we get is by EOY, there is no guarantee? Or it is pretty much guaranteed if your taxes are more that $7500?

How much was your Prius? I think when cars get over a certain amount like ~10k, it gets hard to do private party sale due to the fear of scams. I'm trying to unload a car which carmax offered 26k and there are no bites on the various sites including CL.

It was $9500, that said I sold a BMW 335 a year and a half ago for ~29k private party. I can understand how people get concerned about doing large transactions themselves but it's really not that risky or difficult if you go by a few guidelines.
  • Scammers almost always want to do the transaction remotely. Don't even reply to anyone talking about shipping the car. Entertain face to face offers only, no exceptions.
  • Accept only bank cashiers checks, or cash (as much cash as your comfortable with, I personally wouldn't do cash for cars over 10k)
  • Perform the transaction outside YOUR bank during business hours. If their paying with cashier check. Have your bank verify the authenticity of the check prior to signing off the title.
As for where I list, i usually list on CL and autotrader.. I've noticed cheaper cars sell well/easily on CL whereas my prius and 335 sold on autotrader. That said, I bought a "used" BMW M2 on CL (private party) so buyers can be everywhere and anywhere.

I understand that for some people the difference between a trade In offer and a private party sale might be insignificant, but I think everyone should check, getting several thousand dollars more for your car could be difference between LR/MR or EAP/No-EAP etc.

Reactions: Selva_IL
Correct. In any case, the 200,000 quota for a manufacturer for the $7,500 rebate is for ALL models (so all US Ss, Xs and 3s sold till June 2018 contributed to Tesla hitting the threshold).

Clarification, 200,000 does not count after post Jun 31, 2018. Jul 1 till Dec 31, Tesla can sell as many cars as they want (or can produce) which also benefits buyers. There will be a huge push to build as many Model 3's, S and X's till end of the year and get as many out as physically possible. Total amount of cars that will qualify will probably be close to 300,000.

Also, for all that live in high income-property tax states, don't forget there is a $10K cap on itemized deductions... I for one will take a big hit living in California with taxes this year (IMO a REPUBLICAN middle finger to blue states). This was my sole motivation to put in the order for MR instead of waiting for Standard.

Reactions: Selva_IL and RedT
It was $9500, that said I sold a BMW 335 a year and a half ago for ~29k private party. I can understand how people get concerned about doing large transactions themselves but it's really not that risky or difficult if you go by a few guidelines.
  • Scammers almost always want to do the transaction remotely. Don't even reply to anyone talking about shipping the car. Entertain face to face offers only, no exceptions.
  • Accept only bank cashiers checks, or cash (as much cash as your comfortable with, I personally wouldn't do cash for cars over 10k)
  • Perform the transaction outside YOUR bank during business hours. If their paying with cashier check. Have your bank verify the authenticity of the check prior to signing off the title.
As for where I list, i usually list on CL and autotrader.. I've noticed cheaper cars sell well/easily on CL whereas my prius and 335 sold on autotrader. That said, I bought a "used" BMW M2 on CL (private party) so buyers can be everywhere and anywhere.

I understand that for some people the difference between a trade In offer and a private party sale might be insignificant, but I think everyone should check, getting several thousand dollars more for your car could be difference between LR/MR or EAP/No-EAP etc.

Good points for sure. I sold a rav4 for 12.5k cash on CL 5 months ago in 4 days and was completely shocked. It was probably the exception and not the norm. Had at least 7 inquiries which were mostly scams other than the unicorn buyer.

Ordered 10/20
No reservation
Non owner
  • Mid Range Rear-Wheel Drive
  • Deep Blue Metallic Paint
  • 18’’ Aero Wheels
  • All Black Premium Interior
  • Enhanced
Been following this room for 2 weeks waiting impatiently.
Drove up north on the 5 and passed 10 trucks carrying 8 Model 3's each, going south on the 5. All different colors (Red, White, Blue, Black and Silver) but mostly Red and Blue M3's. Who know's if there were more trucks but I counted at least 80 cars going to lucky owners soon. Not sure if they were going to SoCal. Hoping 1 of them was ours but no email or text. Fingers crossed. Took 2 pictures but not the best since I was driving. Was the best part of the 6 hour drive seeing all the trucks. We wanted to take a tour of the factory since we're about 30 mins away from Fremont, but guess you need to make reservations 3 to 4 weeks in advance.

Screenshot_20181118-220949_Video Player.jpg 20181117_132244_capture.jpg

Attachments

• 20181117_132244_capture.jpg
    20181117_132244_capture.jpg
    680.5 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: sidmini
Also following along and also waiting impatiently for my M3. Yesterday the wife says ‘a blue car would be nice. I’ve never had a blue car’. WTH! Was able to edit design but now the two weeks of waiting starts over. Maybe my black car wasn’t on any of those transport trucks. Maybe.

Not true, I logged into the iOS app and I only just ordered my car last Friday, 10/26. Granted I can only watch tutorial videos and access my loot box... I did however modify my order on 10/29 to change from 19” to 18” wheels. After I did that, the “edit” option disappeared.
That is interesting because I originally placed my order on Oct. 19th and then upgraded my wheels on Oct 27th. After I did that my order date changed to the 27th. But I still have access to the "Edit Design" option today. Not sure how to take that.

Day 1 Reservation Holder

Ordered 10/19
  • Mid Range Rear-Wheel Drive
  • Midnight Silver Metallic Paint
  • 18’’ Aero Wheels
  • Black and White Premium Interior
  • Enhanced Autopilot

Access to Tesla App
Edit button gone for a long time
Status says: We are drafting up your contract and will contact you when you can make your final payment

Order and prepare for delivery circles are checked. Following this thread also freaked out that trade and Tesla financing weren’t checking the circles, so I switched to cash and no trade.

Can pick up in Fremont, but that wasn’t an option, it required home delivery.

Also, still irritated by this email from Tesla on 10/31 that indicated less than 4 weeks if can pick up in Fremont.

Attachments

• 729214E6-5096-4A6F-B03F-DA1DD921DC0C.jpeg
    729214E6-5096-4A6F-B03F-DA1DD921DC0C.jpeg
    330.5 KB · Views: 57