Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid Range waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a “Delivery Appointment Confirmation” email for my 12/24 appt in San Diego. Still no VIN on my account but I’m starting to believe that this might really happen.

And this morning, lo and behold, there is a VIN! 48 hours before pick up.

It’s great to hear that Elon is committing to match the tax credit difference if they can’t deliver. If he’d shared that information with us a few weeks ago this experience would have been a lot less stressful. It makes me wonder if he wanted to make sure they would make the majority of deliveries before committing to cover the credit for the ones they missed.

It makes me wonder if he wanted to make sure they would make the majority of deliveries before committing to cover the credit for the ones they missed.

That would make a lot of sense.

My VIN showed up a couple days ago and I am scheduled for a 12/26 home delivery, which jives with the "you get a VIN about 5-7 days before delivery" generalization here. All this time between ordering on Oct 20 and now has given me lots of time to second-guess myself and flip-flop back and forth considering a switch to 19" wheels, a switch to AWD, or just going full-on mid-life crisis and getting the Performance version. I've managed to hold it together and stay the course here, but just barely. Idle mind is a devil's workshop I guess.

It seems the east cost has settled down recently here, I suspect the vast majority on the east coast have received their cars? Seems like it's mostly California people like myself nervously waiting.

My VIN showed up a couple days ago and I am scheduled for a 12/26 home delivery, which jives with the "you get a VIN about 5-7 days before delivery" generalization here. All this time between ordering on Oct 20 and now has given me lots of time to second-guess myself and flip-flop back and forth considering a switch to 19" wheels, a switch to AWD, or just going full-on mid-life crisis and getting the Performance version. I've managed to hold it together and stay the course here, but just barely. Idle mind is a devil's workshop I guess.

Too true! I hit the “Add Enhanced Autopilot” button the other night after swearing I would never ever. That’s my version of “full-on mid-life crisis.” ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Funny
Reactions: SMAlset
Wow, Elon just replied to me twice on twitter about the mid-range situation:

Question: "How about fulfilling the outstanding orders for mid-range RWD? Many of us are really concerned about the lack of updates and proximity to EOY."

Elon: "It will be tight, but Tesla production should have all mid-range Model 3 orders delivered by year end"

Question: "Thank you for replying sir. What will happen if someone’s pre-December order doesn’t make it in time?"

Elon: "If Tesla committed delivery & customer made good faith efforts to receive before year end, Tesla will cover the tax credit difference"

I think that might be the first time he's publicly talked about covering the tax credit difference for us (in worst case scenario)!

Exactly what I thought they would do and will have to for a few orders. Nice to see it in writing though.

OP here. Got my white interior MR after some initial pain during delivery. Not a fun delivery experience at all. I won't go into detail since Tesla made it right. But it's done.

Since OP has his car, mods, you can close the thread now.
Yes, but others haven't yet, so shouldn't the "Mid-Range Waiting Room" remain open for them? ;)

Despite the replies from Elon which made me feel warm/fuzzy and much more confident....I chickened out and went to the Tesla store today. Switched my mid-range order to a matching AWD car that they had in inventory. Now I have a VIN and hopefully delivery date will move up. My original 12/29 date was just too close to my travel plans for comfort :|

That is awesome. I asked the same question to a rep on the toll-free number a few days ago and the rep stated that there is no compensation if the delivery date misses end-of-year for a confirmed delivery appt. Hopefully this info flows to the call center and delivery centers. Hopefully they will be able to deliver by end-of-year or discount the purchase price by the tax credit difference.

For clarification, the $7500 Fed tax credit deductible is not equivalent to a price reduction of $7500. Anyone who is thinking this way will be disappointed. Consult your tax professional.

Order MR on 11/30 online, no reservation, use referral, Blue No EAP,18”,Black interior
I am in Orange County with 1 M3L already.

Dec 7, got text from Tesla saying:
Update on your delivery timing: We expect your Model 3 to be ready between 12/17-12/23. A Tesla rep will reach out when it is time to schedule your appointment.

Call and text few time to let Tesla know we are leaving on Dec 23 night through out rest of year, and thinking leaving payment check and a power attorney for someone to sign paper on behalf of us as plan B, chat with a person on the phone today and the schedule delivery date was changed to Dec 30 on our Tesla account, I am thinking well we’ll plan B it is.

Tonight, get supprising text as following:

Good Evening, Your Model 3 is scheduled to arrive to your home between the hours of 10am and 12pm, so you should have plenty of time before you leave for your trip! Someone from the local center will contact you before they leave to let you know they are on their way, and their estimated arrival time. Your Model 3 is excited to meet you!

All I want say is to tell everybody that Tesla indeed want to fulfill everyone’s wish before end of year, and this crunching randomly makes a lot folks nerves as hell. Hand on tight and do your best to work with Tesla even they are not really up to your standard, if you want EV to replace ICE in the planet as much as possible for a better world, this is small price you pay as not being treated like royal family member.

Wish you all best, btw I am not associated with Tesla, but I am a royal EV user.

20181222_135738.jpg
20181222_165156.jpg
Picked mine up today. As for the sentiment that everybody is sharing that the day you pick it up makes up for all the months of hardship...I wholeheartedly agree. Haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face all freaking day. The SLC delivery crew was hands down phenomenal and made the experience awesome. There was zero rush while I went through the car with a fine toothed comb looking for flaws. The only flaw I saw in my car was a small bit of what looked like glue in an inconspicuous area of the headliner. 100000% satisfied with the car and the SLC delivery team. Even did a little photo shoot with my brother and his S.

One thing I've noticed after having the car for a day is that the doors require a more force or technique to close properly. Very often when me or my family closes the door, the car display shows that a door is open. And we need to give it another try with some more force. Was wondering if anyone else has noticed this on their Tesla.

Reactions: Gulfbear and Babs89
One thing I've noticed after having the car for a day is that the doors require a more force or technique to close properly. Very often when me or my family closes the door, the car display shows that a door is open. And we need to give it another try with some more force. Was wondering if anyone else has noticed this on their Tesla.

Yup, the doors are sturdy and require more force to close properly than some other cars or our Model X which will "suck" the doors closed after a little push.

....It seems the east cost has settled down recently here, I suspect the vast majority on the east coast have received their cars? Seems like it's mostly California people like myself nervously waiting.

Up here in the bay area and Friday I saw a carrier with 3s turning off 101 and heading towards 5. Today my husband further up the peninsula saw a carrier loaded with Model 3s on 101 headed south. They're coming! Quite impressed by the number of trailers we've seen loaded with Model 3s in the past month. A few S or Xs on occasion but a lot of Model 3s.

Last edited:

This...it almost feels like I gotta slam the doors. My brother had the same feeling when he first bought his S, too. Now he is used to it.