TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Mid South - If it were up to you.

Discussion in 'North America' started by Drucifer, Oct 25, 2015.

1. DrDon

DrDon New Member

Thanks for the comments.

I am aware of the various charging networks: Blink, Chargepoint, Plugshare, and others. However, they don't offer any options in my "region", either.

I'm unaware of any politics in AR regarding charging stations. There are several stations around the state, but they are either low amp/low voltage or way out of the way. Tesla does have one, but it is nowhere near a major interstate. The state has already set up several free charging stations ... but they are only in Little Rock or places not near the major interstates, and again, too slow of a charging capability anyway. And, I don't need a charging station in my city (duh). These stations are generally set up for cars like the Volt or Leaf - not a powerhouse like my P85D.

And yes, I am a big boy, well aware of promises and their implications. Nevertheless, part of my purchase was to promote electric vehicles. I also own a 21.2 kWp solar farm, and despite heavy politics from the energy company, we have net metering in AR, and it's great. So, I don't believe charging station installations are a political issue - they are a money issue, as many things are.

What I didn't hear were ideas, suggestions, or connections as to getting charging stations in this region. That's okay, just wanted to see if this thread would produce suggestions.

The sad truth is that this isn't Tesla's priority, as they have told me several times already.

In essence, it seems I will have to do the legwork with 3rd parties to get charging stations built around the state. Maybe Tesla's strategy is just that.

I hope anyone reading this might still have some suggestions. We all know electric vehicles are here to stay and that we are ahead of the curve. Someday there will be very few gas stations and plenty of charging stations. I hope that happens sooner than later.

2. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

Presumably Tesla does plan to connect you -- we know Sulphur Springs, TX is on the coming soon list and it really has little purpose if there aren't further stations enabling travel to Little Rock. Texarkana is nice and all, but I don't see Tesla building just enough Superchargers to get you to the AR border and not beyond.

Supercharger - Sulphur Springs, TX

3. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

This looks like fun, so I'll play along. Here you go! (biased by my own preferences)

Midsouth-plan1.png

4. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Move your #1 icon a little south to Miner, MO, at the intersection of I-55 and I-57...

• Informative x 1
  5. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

Impressive.

Only a couple of notes. Add Slidel, LA and Louisville, KY as open.

My preferences to add in:

I would put in Meridian, MS to connect ATL to Jackson, MS and NOLA.
    I would finish I-40 Little Rock to OKC, to complete I-40 coast to coast.

6. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

I agree all those need to be built, and more. But what are you doing with Birmingham at 7 and Huntsville/Decatur at 12? Priority should be for creating routes and Huntsville is needed to link Nashville to Birmingham. Those two will link many to many. Your #1 someplace between Nashville and St. Louis is also critical. These 3 will make a connection south that requires 6 on I-55.

7. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Bowling Green on the way from Nashville to Louisville is coming soon.

Dire needs for those going St Louis to Florida are Superchargers in Mt Vernon, IL and Paducah, KY.

8. Guy V

Guy V Member

"Dire need" INDEED!

9. DaDr00

DaDr00 Member

Just had this conversation in another thread. As someone that lives in the Mid-South and has a Model 3 on reservation; being able to snag a supercharger on the way out of Memphis would be nice. From looking at the Supercharger map for 2016, I see some dots filling in!
    • Meridian, MS
    • Tupelo, MS
    • Pearl (Jackson), MS (Operational)
    • Grenada, MS
    • Dyersberg, TN or Blytheville, AR, or north Marion, AR (hard to tell)

Attached Files:

10. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

Your 3, 5 and 8 are in permitting

Your 14 is already done and turned on, fully open

it looks like they'll finis I-20 and I-44 before they even start on I-40 again.

11. Jtrader

Jtrader Member

According the the "Coming in 2016" map on the official Tesla site, it looks like the pin is much closer to Elizabethtown than Bowling Green.

12. thx1139

thx1139 Member

#1 Miner, MO has been permitted

• Informative x 1
  13. Guy V

Guy V Member

YAYYYYYYY !!!

14. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Augusta GA is now under construction per supercharge.info, so Columbia, SC now seriously needed to fill in gaps in a number of routes. Great for me.

15. Fourdoor

Fourdoor Member

I am in the market for a pure EV over the next 3 years, my "new home town" (new Job) will be very near Meridian, MS so the supercharger there makes me more likely to lean towards a Model 3 or CPO S60 than I was thinking before. If they finally fill in Birmingham Alabama on my route to Eastern Kentucky (I will be traveling from Meridian, MS area to Richmond, KY area about once a month) that would clinch me on going Tesla of some kind. Currently Supercharger routing would add 300 miles over routing through Birmingham and make an 12 hour trip (including charging) into a 19+ hour trip. I will probably lease a Chevy Bolt to "tide me over" on my pure EV needs until the Supercharger network expands to fill in my rout and keep my Chevy Volt for long range driving.

Later,

Keith

16. swaltner

swaltner Active Member

@Fourdoor, welcome to TMC.

Don't forget CHAdeMO as an option for quick charging. There's a Nissan dealer in Birmingham, AL with a CHAdeMO available 24x7. That would allow for a relatively quick stop on the 293 mile jump between Meridian, MS and Chattanooga, TN. This charging option is listed on plugshare.com. Unfortunately, this seems to a single-vehicle charger and the connector was damaged about a week ago.

Also, by the time you would receive a Tesla Model 3, especially if you aren't already on the wait list, Tesla would likely have a Supercharger in Birmingham.

17. Fourdoor

Fourdoor Member

Yup, the charger in Birmingham is a Chademo / J1772 ... better than J1772 alone like elsewhere. I just found out about this one, PlugShare site is strange sometimes, sometimes list this one under "public stations" for the J1772 plug instead of under "high power station" for the Chademo plug... other times it does list it as "high power station". I really wish it was a Chademo / CCS station, then I would definitely lease a Chevy Bolt until it was time to purchase a Tesla... without a CCS station there it would take about 7 hours of charging on the Bolt to reach the CCS station in Chattanooga Tennessee.

Thanks for the info about the Chademo station in Birmingham :)

Keith

PS: I didn't pre-order because other than it being cool, we simply don't know enough about the 3, its options and prices for those options. If I knew I could get a 3 with a larger battery, dual motors, autopilot, and supercharger enabled for less than a CPO S with the same options I would put in my pre-order now... Yes I know the $1000 is refundable but I have better things to do with it than loan it to a for profit corporation at zero interest.

• Like x 1
  18. John Stuckey

John Stuckey Member

I have used GreenLots too. They have CHAdeMO which is DC and a lot faster than J1772 or HPWCs.

19. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Really needed Columbia and Charleston SpC last weekend. We did a Chapel Hill - Charleston - Charlotte - Chapel Hill itinerary over 4 days including a visit to Spoleto. On the way down, I had to 90% charge at Santee to get to Charleston and back, then 90% charge to get to Charlotte (and drive 60 mph, and the storm was really eating the juice until it thankfully stopped halfway to Mallard Creek)......hope this can be simplified in the future. Columbia should be a priority!!

• Like x 1
  20. BGKY_Owner

BGKY_Owner New Member

Bowling Green KY supercharger pictures -- confirmed w/ Telsa too this weekend (6/4/2016)

Attached Files: