Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid South - If it were up to you.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the comments.

I am aware of the various charging networks: Blink, Chargepoint, Plugshare, and others. However, they don't offer any options in my "region", either.

I'm unaware of any politics in AR regarding charging stations. There are several stations around the state, but they are either low amp/low voltage or way out of the way. Tesla does have one, but it is nowhere near a major interstate. The state has already set up several free charging stations ... but they are only in Little Rock or places not near the major interstates, and again, too slow of a charging capability anyway. And, I don't need a charging station in my city (duh). These stations are generally set up for cars like the Volt or Leaf - not a powerhouse like my P85D.

And yes, I am a big boy, well aware of promises and their implications. Nevertheless, part of my purchase was to promote electric vehicles. I also own a 21.2 kWp solar farm, and despite heavy politics from the energy company, we have net metering in AR, and it's great. So, I don't believe charging station installations are a political issue - they are a money issue, as many things are.

What I didn't hear were ideas, suggestions, or connections as to getting charging stations in this region. That's okay, just wanted to see if this thread would produce suggestions.

The sad truth is that this isn't Tesla's priority, as they have told me several times already.

In essence, it seems I will have to do the legwork with 3rd parties to get charging stations built around the state. Maybe Tesla's strategy is just that.

I hope anyone reading this might still have some suggestions. We all know electric vehicles are here to stay and that we are ahead of the curve. Someday there will be very few gas stations and plenty of charging stations. I hope that happens sooner than later.

As a frustrated owner living in Little Rock, AR, does anyone have any suggestions how to get Tesla to place chargers so I can actually take a trip out of the state? I was told in 2014 that chargers would be placed along I-30 first, the I-40, so I trusted them and bought a P85D. Obviously this has not happened! Any emails to Tesla fall on deaf ears; all I keep getting told is there are no plans in the works for my region. Of course, to get warranty work I now have to pay the ranger fee which is $1000. Yes, you read that right. I can't get to a Service Center; I'm stuck. How would you go about either getting Tesla's attention to do something they promised or find 3rd party entities who would set up charging stations to charge at least as fast as my supercharger at home? I'm an early adopter and I'm feeling duped. Anyone with contacts? Information? Suggestions? Even other charging "companies" have not set anything up in these major interstate routes. I know there are few owners of Teslas in AR than most states, but that doesn't make us 'lesser citizens".
Presumably Tesla does plan to connect you -- we know Sulphur Springs, TX is on the coming soon list and it really has little purpose if there aren't further stations enabling travel to Little Rock. Texarkana is nice and all, but I don't see Tesla building just enough Superchargers to get you to the AR border and not beyond.

Supercharger - Sulphur Springs, TX

This looks like fun, so I'll play along. Here you go! (biased by my own preferences)

Midsouth-plan1.png

I agree all those need to be built, and more. But what are you doing with Birmingham at 7 and Huntsville/Decatur at 12? Priority should be for creating routes and Huntsville is needed to link Nashville to Birmingham. Those two will link many to many. Your #1 someplace between Nashville and St. Louis is also critical. These 3 will make a connection south that requires 6 on I-55.

Just had this conversation in another thread. As someone that lives in the Mid-South and has a Model 3 on reservation; being able to snag a supercharger on the way out of Memphis would be nice. From looking at the Supercharger map for 2016, I see some dots filling in!
  • Meridian, MS
  • Tupelo, MS
  • Pearl (Jackson), MS (Operational)
  • Grenada, MS
  • Dyersberg, TN or Blytheville, AR, or north Marion, AR (hard to tell)

Attachments

• 2016Supercharger.PNG
    2016Supercharger.PNG
    451 KB · Views: 48
I'm indifferent as to Bowling Green or Elizabethtown. 190 miles from Franklin, TN to Louisville is doable but not desirable.

Birmingham and Huntsville/Decatur are other major voids. Looking at the supercharger.info map it would appear a front is forming in the west from Texas to Missouri coming east to flesh out Arkansas and Mississippi. That is progress but I am dismayed that only two sites in the USA are under active construction.

According the the "Coming in 2016" map on the official Tesla site, it looks like the pin is much closer to Elizabethtown than Bowling Green.

I am in the market for a pure EV over the next 3 years, my "new home town" (new Job) will be very near Meridian, MS so the supercharger there makes me more likely to lean towards a Model 3 or CPO S60 than I was thinking before. If they finally fill in Birmingham Alabama on my route to Eastern Kentucky (I will be traveling from Meridian, MS area to Richmond, KY area about once a month) that would clinch me on going Tesla of some kind. Currently Supercharger routing would add 300 miles over routing through Birmingham and make an 12 hour trip (including charging) into a 19+ hour trip. I will probably lease a Chevy Bolt to "tide me over" on my pure EV needs until the Supercharger network expands to fill in my rout and keep my Chevy Volt for long range driving.

Later,

Keith

@Fourdoor, welcome to TMC.

Don't forget CHAdeMO as an option for quick charging. There's a Nissan dealer in Birmingham, AL with a CHAdeMO available 24x7. That would allow for a relatively quick stop on the 293 mile jump between Meridian, MS and Chattanooga, TN. This charging option is listed on plugshare.com. Unfortunately, this seems to a single-vehicle charger and the connector was damaged about a week ago.

Also, by the time you would receive a Tesla Model 3, especially if you aren't already on the wait list, Tesla would likely have a Supercharger in Birmingham.

Yup, the charger in Birmingham is a Chademo / J1772 ... better than J1772 alone like elsewhere. I just found out about this one, PlugShare site is strange sometimes, sometimes list this one under "public stations" for the J1772 plug instead of under "high power station" for the Chademo plug... other times it does list it as "high power station". I really wish it was a Chademo / CCS station, then I would definitely lease a Chevy Bolt until it was time to purchase a Tesla... without a CCS station there it would take about 7 hours of charging on the Bolt to reach the CCS station in Chattanooga Tennessee.

Thanks for the info about the Chademo station in Birmingham :)

Keith

PS: I didn't pre-order because other than it being cool, we simply don't know enough about the 3, its options and prices for those options. If I knew I could get a 3 with a larger battery, dual motors, autopilot, and supercharger enabled for less than a CPO S with the same options I would put in my pre-order now... Yes I know the $1000 is refundable but I have better things to do with it than loan it to a for profit corporation at zero interest.

Reactions: dhrivnak
This is a hindsight situation for you at this point, but never buy tech with the hollow promises of what might be developed in the future.

I think your only options are RV parks (or other friendly owners?). Here's a resource that would likely be a Godsend for you to avoid that ranger fee: PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge your car!

- - - Updated - - -

Same for TX and points west (NM).

I have used GreenLots too. They have CHAdeMO which is DC and a lot faster than J1772 or HPWCs.

Really needed Columbia and Charleston SpC last weekend. We did a Chapel Hill - Charleston - Charlotte - Chapel Hill itinerary over 4 days including a visit to Spoleto. On the way down, I had to 90% charge at Santee to get to Charleston and back, then 90% charge to get to Charlotte (and drive 60 mph, and the storm was really eating the juice until it thankfully stopped halfway to Mallard Creek)......hope this can be simplified in the future. Columbia should be a priority!!

Reactions: Drucifer
Bowling Green KY supercharger pictures -- confirmed w/ Telsa too this weekend (6/4/2016)

Attachments

• 2016-06-05 14.17.25.jpg
    2016-06-05 14.17.25.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 2016-06-05 14.17.22.jpg
    2016-06-05 14.17.22.jpg
    503.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 2016-06-05 14.17.16.jpg
    2016-06-05 14.17.16.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 2016-06-05 14.17.14.jpg
    2016-06-05 14.17.14.jpg