Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Middle row seats in 6-seater vs. 7-seater: How far forward can they go?

Which seat configuration in the Model X offers the most flexibility and utility?

• 5 seats

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • 6 seats

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • 7 seats

Votes: 37 68.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've just ordered a Tesla 7-seater. I love the idea of the flexibility of this vehicle. However, I'm hoping that the manual middle-row seats in the 7-seater will be able to slide a little more forward than the automatic middle-row seats in the 6-seater.

We could only see a 6-seater for our test drive, and the space in the third row was quite limited. I really do hope the manual seats can be moved a little further ahead than the automatic seats that we saw in the 6-seater, and I kind of figure that manual operation of the seats should, in theory, offer that ability. Can anyone tell me if my theory is correct?

We've just ordered a Tesla 7-seater. I love the idea of the flexibility of this vehicle. However, I'm hoping that the manual middle-row seats in the 7-seater will be able to slide a little more forward than the automatic middle-row seats in the 6-seater.

We could only see a 6-seater for our test drive, and the space in the third row was quite limited. I really do hope the manual seats can be moved a little further ahead than the automatic seats that we saw in the 6-seater, and I kind of figure that manual operation of the seats should, in theory, offer that ability. Can anyone tell me if my theory is correct?
We recently got the 6 seater. Everyone loves the openness and ease of accessing the 3rd row. Interestingly, since the middle row seats only move up toward the front row seats and do not recline, we went to pick up a large piece of artwork that would not fit in the back of the X but would in our S. The 6 seater definitely limits that kind of functionality but it is great for transporting people.

utility? probably 7 seats. fits the most people and folds flat so you have the most cargo room.

for aesthestics, probably the 6 seater. feels more open to the back row and more spacious overall. but you lose that cargo space. and it is 3K more.

i have the 7 and the bench seat goes fairly far forward to allow access to the 3rd row pretty easily.

Reactions: ArtLightstone
I tried to compare 6 seater and 7 seater and decided to go with 6 seater after I checked both at the showroom. Because of the different design and shape of 2nd row, 3rd row in 7 seater has less space and it’s more tight than 6 seater. For example, if I fully move 2nd row backward, 3rd row in 7 seater doesn’t have enough legroom even for kids.

I have some photos, you can compare. The seat which has move button on the side is 6 seater.

Attachments

• D423B18E-9E86-4BB1-9D4A-3F803247E13A.jpeg
    D423B18E-9E86-4BB1-9D4A-3F803247E13A.jpeg
    268.1 KB · Views: 1,030
  • AF8E3834-5F4E-489D-9464-3456FC376D20.jpeg
    AF8E3834-5F4E-489D-9464-3456FC376D20.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 785
I tried to compare 6 seater and 7 seater and decided to go with 6 seater after I checked both at the showroom. Because of the different design and shape of 2nd row, 3rd row in 7 seater has less space and it’s more tight than 6 seater. For example, if I fully move 2nd row backward, 3rd row in 7 seater doesn’t have enough legroom even for kids.

I have some photos, you can compare. The seat which has move button on the side is 6 seater.

Thanks for the input. However, what I'm really interested in is what happens to the back row when the middle row is moved all the way forward.

The main reason why I'm curious is because I noted that the middle row in the 6-seater has only a few places where it can actually lock into place that will allow the car to drive. For example, if the middle row is moved all the way forward, the car will raise an alarm if it detects that anyone is in a middle row seat. The middle row seat then has to get moved backward into one of the limited locking positions that will allow the car to drive, and those limited positions may (I don't know) offer less leg room in the back row than the 7-seater, only because I suspect (again, I don't know) that the manual 7-seater will offer more options for places that it can lock in when compared to the electronic middle-row seats in the 6-seater.

You see what I'm getting at? It's not just about where the seats can physically move: it's about where the seats will actually let you drive when passengers are sitting in them.

You see what I'm getting at? It's not just about where the seats can physically move: it's about where the seats will actually let you drive when passengers are sitting in them.

You can still be able to drive when you move 2nd row seats all the way forward, it will actually move the 1st seat a little forward as well if you try to move 2nd row move forward at the same time. It doesn’t restrict driving at all.

You can still be able to drive when you move 2nd row seats all the way forward, it will actually move the 1st seat a little forward as well if you try to move 2nd row move forward at the same time. It doesn’t restrict driving at all.

Really? Doesn't a warning alarm go off telling you to move the seat into one of the designated locking points? If so, are you ignoring the alarm by moving the seat even more forward? Might the middle row seat not be safe to sit in if one ignores the alarm? (Sorry about all the questions, and thanks so much for your input.)

Legroom for me in the 3rd row acceptable. I'm 5 feet 10. might be unacceptable for a long roadtrip but for shot hops or small children, its fine. If adults dont wanna ride in the back tell them to drive themselves. id rather have the folding second row. View attachment 319794View attachment 319795

I hear you tpham, it's hard to pass up the flexibility of the folding middle row seats. I imagine all kinds of useful configurations, like folding one middle-row seat and both back row seats down, and having lots of room for skis and ski gear; or even leaving one back seat up if I need to separate the kids (who often fight in the car). I also just imagine the rare occasion where having just one more seat available might make the difference between using one car or using two cars. If we can get everyone in one EV, then we might effectively take two ICE cars off the road from time to time. Also, I wonder if the back seat in the 7-seat Model X is as claustrophobic as some suggest if the other back seat is empty. If it's not, then you have six very useful seats (just like in the six-seater), but you have the extra flexibility and carrying capacity just in case you need it.

Maybe I'm just rationalizing. Let me know what you think.

Reactions: xyeahtony
Really? Doesn't a warning alarm go off telling you to move the seat into one of the designated locking points? If so, are you ignoring the alarm by moving the seat even more forward? Might the middle row seat not be safe to sit in if one ignores the alarm? (Sorry about all the questions, and thanks so much for your input.)

Are you talking about some folding kind status of the 2nd row basically when it's at the position for people to hop in/out to the 3rd row? If so, I haven't tried it yet. I can try and let you know. I was talking about when person sits on the 2nd row and move all the way to the front. In that case, MX will move the front first row seat a little forward automatically to help the 2nd row to move forward.

For 6 seater and 7 seater, I was also one hesitated a lot what to order even after I made an order. If you need cargo space more, if you really consider some possible occasion to take 1 more person, 7 seater is good. Just in case, the reason I chose 6 seater was the occasion is probably once a year and rest of time, I wanted to see convenience of the 2nd row moving by buttons, and my another car is a mini van, so in case of limited space, I can just use the other car.

While you can still drive, it’s unsafe because the 2nd row seat is not locked / latched in place. You also have a warning on the screen that stays.

I had a monopost 7 seats before and now bench 7 seats. I believe the bench can move more forward than monopost. The issue with monopost moving forward, as discussed above, is that it throws the unlatched warning if you move beyond the latching point.

Last edited:
Are you talking about some folding kind status of the 2nd row basically when it's at the position for people to hop in/out to the 3rd row? If so, I haven't tried it yet. I can try and let you know. I was talking about when person sits on the 2nd row and move all the way to the front. In that case, MX will move the front first row seat a little forward automatically to help the 2nd row to move forward.

For 6 seater and 7 seater, I was also one hesitated a lot what to order even after I made an order. If you need cargo space more, if you really consider some possible occasion to take 1 more person, 7 seater is good. Just in case, the reason I chose 6 seater was the occasion is probably once a year and rest of time, I wanted to see convenience of the 2nd row moving by buttons, and my another car is a mini van, so in case of limited space, I can just use the other car.

You know what, JunH, if I had a mini-van I probably would have made the exact same decision as you. In our case, however, the Model X will be our only big vehicle, so it has to be able to anything I might ask of it.

I do love the look of the 6-seat interior - it's beautiful, but I feel I have to go for flexibility and utility here. It's still a tough decision.

While you can still drive, it’s unsafe because the 2nd row seat is not locked / latched in place. You also have a warning on the screen that stays.

I had a monopost 7 seats before and now bench 7 seats. I believe the bench can move more forward than monopost. The issue with monopost moving forward, as discussed above, is that it throws the unlatched warning if you move beyond the latching point.

That's what I figured, but it's hard to say for sure without having two different Model Xs side by side. I might take a drive with the family to the new Tesla store in Etobicoke today to look at a new 7-seater with the fold-down bench seating in the middle row. Apparently they have one there.

utility? probably 7 seats. fits the most people and folds flat so you have the most cargo room.

for aesthestics, probably the 6 seater. feels more open to the back row and more spacious overall. but you lose that cargo space. and it is 3K more.

i have the 7 and the bench seat goes fairly far forward to allow access to the 3rd row pretty easily.
How would the bench work if a car seat is installed in the middle? Can you access the rear the same?

We have an S and a 6 seater X. When we need to carry anything we use the S. The X does not hold nearly as much with the weird shaped area to try and put things with the middle seats scooted forward. Unless by versatility you mean carrying more people, I think the fold flat ability of the 5 seat configuration gives it the most flexibility to carry “stuff”.

Reactions: gglockner
How would the bench work if a car seat is installed in the middle? Can you access the rear the same?

Hey Gen3, I'll take a look into this question if I go see the 7-seater today. My guess is that it would impact entry on the left side (as the left side of the bench is attached to the middle seat), but the right side of the car would be unaffected.