Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Middle row seats trigger front seats to move

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else have the issue of anytime they move the middle row seats, the corresponding front seat moves? On either the driver side or the passenger side, when I slightly adjust the location of the middle row seat it moves the front row seat in front if it. This has become especially annoying when driving and someone sitting int he middle row adjusts the seat location and it moves my seat. The weird part, how much the front row seat moves is correlated with the number of button presses to move the middle row seat and not the how much you move it. Also it doesn't matter if I use the MCU to move the seat or one of the two buttons on the seats to move them. The same outcome to the front row. My X is 1 month old and it has been happening since day 1. Service center told me it's a "firmware" issue but if it was, many people would be having this problem.

Reactions: Alnak
Anyone else have the issue of anytime they move the middle row seats, the corresponding front seat moves? On either the driver side or the passenger side, when I slightly adjust the location of the middle row seat it moves the front row seat in front if it. This has become especially annoying when driving and someone sitting int he middle row adjusts the seat location and it moves my seat. The weird part, how much the front row seat moves is correlated with the number of button presses to move the middle row seat and not the how much you move it. Also it doesn't matter if I use the MCU to move the seat or one of the two buttons on the seats to move them. The same outcome to the front row. My X is 1 month old and it has been happening since day 1. Service center told me it's a "firmware" issue but if it was, many people would be having this problem.
I don't think the first two replies read your entire post. Surely a passenger shouldn't be able to cause the driver seat to move while the vehicle is in motion. IIRC, the front seats should only move whenever the middle seats were moving into the "entry position" (for access to the third row). This definitely sounds like a firmware issue. Regarding the suggestion that a lot of people would be experiencing this: The 5 seat configuration doesn't have a mobile second row and never has. The 7 seat configuration doesn't have electric seats with buttons to move them (except for if they are from the first half of 2017 or earlier). As such, the behavior you're describing is limited to the 6 seat configuration. I doubt very many people have the 6 seat configuration and frequently have passengers adjusting the second row seats during the drive.

Reactions: Alnak and Bigriver
I think the front seats are supposed to move when the middle seats move....

I would think how much and when the front seat moves would be a function of where the middle row seat is not a function of move seat button presses. Pressing the button three times to move it an inch should not move the front seat 3x more than pressing it once to move it an inch. At the moment, it's a function of button presses and doesn't appear to be dependent on where the middle row seat is (or where the front seat is).

I don't think the first two replies read your entire post. Surely a passenger shouldn't be able to cause the driver seat to move while the vehicle is in motion. IIRC, the front seats should only move whenever the middle seats were moving into the "entry position" (for access to the third row). This definitely sounds like a firmware issue. Regarding the suggestion that a lot of people would be experiencing this: The 5 seat configuration doesn't have a mobile second row and never has. The 7 seat configuration doesn't have electric seats with buttons to move them (except for if they are from the first half of 2017 or earlier). As such, the behavior you're describing is limited to the 6 seat configuration. I doubt very many people have the 6 seat configuration and frequently have passengers adjusting the second row seats during the drive.
Exactly. Passenger shouldn't be able to move my seat by moving theirs when car is moving. And also, if the front seat is moved and the door is closed, the front seat should return to it's original position if possible.

Do you know which control is being used? Is it the upper module, or the lower one? I've only noticed the front seat move accordingly in my 7-seat 2016 model when the upper module is pressed. The lower one will slightly adjust forward and slightly recline the seat forward/back.

Reactions: bhorn
Do you know which control is being used? Is it the upper module, or the lower one? I've only noticed the front seat move accordingly in my 7-seat 2016 model when the upper module is pressed. The lower one will slightly adjust forward and slightly recline the seat forward/back.
That is a good question. AFAIK, the buttons on top (and then arguably, the ones on the screen as well) are only meant for entry/exit. If they are the only ones triggering it while the buttons under the seats don't, maybe they are supposed to be disabled when you are driving and aren't being disabled due to a bug. It is also feasible that they are meant for "limo comfort" (passenger legroom control) but triggering exit movement due to a bug or design flaw (the difference in this case being that design flaw would mean it has worked this way since 2016 while bug would mean that an update introduced the behavior).

That is a good question. AFAIK, the buttons on top (and then arguably, the ones on the screen as well) are only meant for entry/exit. If they are the only ones triggering it while the buttons under the seats don't, maybe they are supposed to be disabled when you are driving and aren't being disabled due to a bug. It is also feasible that they are meant for "limo comfort" (passenger legroom control) but triggering exit movement due to a bug or design flaw (the difference in this case being that design flaw would mean it has worked this way since 2016 while bug would mean that an update introduced the behavior).
I'll have to test this out later for sure, I hardly ever even open the FWD, let alone move the seat.

My X 6 seater 2019 does allow moving of the middle row using the top back buttons on the middle seats and yes it will make the driver seat move also. This has always been the case since I got it new over a year ago and I even went from the V2 hardware to v3 and no changes there. I did learn we sometimes have to calibrate those seats if the alert about them not being locked does not go away when driving and they are back all the way (answer was on this website somewhere and the techs didn't even know).

I wish we could leave those seats all the way forward (or even remove them) when not using them but if you try and drive they always complain to me that they need to be back. Unsure what size people can fit in the very back with those seats all the way back (no one in my family).

Honestly, I haven't noticed a difference between the two buttons. Both seem to do the exact same thing to the seat. I'll test it out tomorrow to be sure.

The top entry controls will always move both seats and should not be used while driving. The passenger should use the bottom controls for seat adjustment. The bottom controls do not move the front seats. When using the entry controls while parked for entry, you have to have them return the full back position in order for them to lock. Then you use the bottom controls to move them forward. They key is to never use the entry controls while driving.

I wish we could leave those seats all the way forward (or even remove them) when not using them but if you try and drive they always complain to me that they need to be back. Unsure what size people can fit in the very back with those seats all the way back (no one in my family).

Yes! This! I leave the driver middle seat all the forward and that message is so annoying. Especially when I try to back up out of the drive way every morning. By default the car has three car seats so generally I prefer that seat all the way forward so that my older kids can get into the back row and my toddler is easily placed on the passenger side. Clicking of the "not locked" nag is very frustrating.

Hard to tell my 3 year old who sits in the back row that. Additionally, even when used appropriately, there's an annoying flaw.
I don't disagree with you. My grandkids do the same thing when in the 3rd row. It should be more intuitive or Tesla should disengage the entry controls while in drive or reverse.
The front seat never goes back to the right location after the back seat is returned.
That is strange, I never had that issue. But, I have seen where if you don't allow the entry control seats to completely move to the back position after entry or exit, or if you do use the entry controls in a non entry situation, the sequence of events get disrupted and the front seat do not return. Procedurally, you have to follow the proper sequence for the entry to work. Only use the entry controls for entry or exit only. Ensure the seats, using the entry control, move to the full back position after entry controls are utilized. Never use the entry controls for minor seat adjustments. The seat controls are used for that purpose. I am only representing this as a procedural point of view only. I don't like or support the concept. If you follow the procedure, the front seats will behave properly and return to initial position.

Reactions: mxnym
Agree. I’m seeing it happen on my 2023 MX while parked (not an issue) but while driving. I’m reading the manual and it does not describe this issue, just mentions the seats move accordingly to avoid collision of middle and front seats, nothing thought about while driving. My wife freaked out because she is short and has the driver seat all the way up and forward (she’s 4’9”, best wife ever) and the young ones started to adjust seat while driving and her seat started to move back and down. Had to quickly tell them to stop and click her profile to return to her profiled position. Any ideas? I’m stump with the manual.

I don't disagree with you. My grandkids do the same thing when in the 3rd row. It should be more intuitive or Tesla should disengage the entry controls while in drive or reverse.

That is strange, I never had that issue. But, I have seen where if you don't allow the entry control seats to completely move to the back position after entry or exit, or if you do use the entry controls in a non entry situation, the sequence of events get disrupted and the front seat do not return. Procedurally, you have to follow the proper sequence for the entry to work. Only use the entry controls for entry or exit only. Ensure the seats, using the entry control, move to the full back position after entry controls are utilized. Never use the entry controls for minor seat adjustments. The seat controls are used for that purpose. I am only representing this as a procedural point of view only. I don't like or support the concept. If you follow the procedure, the front seats will behave properly and return to initial position.
Agree but the problem is reading the manual indicates you can use both the top buttons (easy entry button) and the “L” button (the one on bottom side of monopost seat). If looking thru it it would be page.

Attachments

• F88BC460-B819-40AC-B31B-D5454646FEB4.jpeg
    F88BC460-B819-40AC-B31B-D5454646FEB4.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 1,028
Agree. I’m seeing it happen on my 2023 MX while parked (not an issue) but while driving. I’m reading the manual and it does not describe this issue, just mentions the seats move accordingly to avoid collision of middle and front seats, nothing thought about while driving. My wife freaked out because she is short and has the driver seat all the way up and forward (she’s 4’9”, best wife ever) and the young ones started to adjust seat while driving and her seat started to move back and down. Had to quickly tell them to stop and click her profile to return to her profiled position. Any ideas? I’m stump with the manual.

Attachments

• CF773B00-D7C8-4EEE-9129-F196D00C975D.jpeg
    CF773B00-D7C8-4EEE-9129-F196D00C975D.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 85
  • A0C31DB9-F256-4C0A-A597-F7965FD4EA89.jpeg
    A0C31DB9-F256-4C0A-A597-F7965FD4EA89.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 59
  • E187206B-F3FB-43A6-BDB3-488EB0631C41.jpeg
    E187206B-F3FB-43A6-BDB3-488EB0631C41.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 54
The top entry controls will always move both seats and should not be used while driving. The passenger should use the bottom controls for seat adjustment. The bottom controls do not move the front seats. When using the entry controls while parked for entry, you have to have them return the full back position in order for them to lock. Then you use the bottom controls to move them forward. They key is to never use the entry controls while driving.
Here is the manual though indicating using top and bottom buttons to adjust. I see your point. Problem has occurred while passenger on third row want to mess around with the kid in the middle row too. Kids will be kids I suppose, but they should definitely not adjust driver seat while driving. I guess I’m missing something here or not reading right, not sure.

Attachments

• 989A49E8-C780-4487-ACD4-B54DE2DCDBBE.jpeg
    989A49E8-C780-4487-ACD4-B54DE2DCDBBE.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 221
It’s a known issue and still not fixed. Most folks don’t notice it. And those that do, don’t want to setup an appointment with the service center.