TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Midnight Silver... Family Fail

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by xcat, Apr 14, 2018.

1. xcat

xcat Member

Had set my eyes on the midnight silver color. Have not seen one yet in the wild. Last night wife and son claim to have seen it and in the sunlight claim the color looked more baby bluish and forbid me from getting that option.

Thoughts?

2. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

I've never seen baby blue in it. But it does look very different in different lighting.

3. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

WTF baby blue? I you sure they weren't looking at a silver metallic and how it reflects the sky? I've had a midnight silver metallic S for a year and it has never under any circumstance looked baby blue.

Picking up some blue hues on a particularly brilliant day? Sure. But straight up looking light blue? Never.

• Like x 2
  4. outie

outie Active Member

No way midnight silver is remotely close to baby blue. It’s a very dark color.

• Like x 1
  5. maximumblue

maximumblue Member

If it was baby blue i would buy it
    !

6. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

But baby blue is definitely not maximum blue...

• Funny x 1
  7. The Lorax

The Lorax Member

If I had to choose between Midnight Silver Metalic and your family, I’d choose Midight Silver Metalic. Just sayin. :)

• Funny x 8
  8. Sprandt23

Sprandt23 Member

In the right light, I've seen my Midnight Silver Metalic S look almost dark navy blue (see my pic @ left - sunset in the Petrified Forest in AZ)....but never light blue. Sometimes I do see a hint of purple though too.

• Informative x 1
  9. Subhuman

Subhuman Member

Sounds to me like they saw a Model S that was the old Dolphin grey.

10. outdoors

outdoors Always roaming

Baby blue?:confused:

20180413_154713.jpg
    Even in sun 20180405_170815.jpg

• Like x 3
  11. eCharcoal

eCharcoal Member

• Informative x 1
  12. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

I was very happy with the steel grey (renamed midnight silver - not to be confused with the original Tesla dolphin grey, which I preferred most of all). The steel grey (now midnight silver) does indeed have flecks of blue in that metallic although I've not heard it referred to as baby blue.

Midnight silver remains my favorite now-available colour, with kudos to the green and titanium/champagne colour that was short-lived. I never understood the need for 2 blacks and 2 whites, and always thought the cargo van white cars looked like panda bears given all of the black and silver trim and taillight red that comes with.

So why did I end up with the pearlescent white for the second chariot? It's actually an interesting color when clean and shiny and in direct light - as well as at night - go figure. Plus the blues just aren't the right shades for me - the original Tesla blue nor the more medium current variant.

Maybe someday... Wasn't the new paint shack supposed to support 16 colours? Heh.