Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Midwest Supercharger Christmas Wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are some routes or city locations in the Midwest you think Tesla NEEDS to cover or add more chargers in the Midwest in 2019?

I met one of the Tesla managers recently and they said I could send them owner Supercharger suggestions if I solicited them. No promises it will change anything, but I'll forward them along!

Personally, putting a Supercharger in Emporia, KS would make some of the travel along I-35 easier. This was planned (permits were filed) a long time ago, but was nixed as the host site (restaurant) went through ownership changes (national franchise to independent) and then closed.

Having the Olathe, KS site completed would further make travel along I-35 more convenient. Currently, you're diverting around Kansas City while traveling along I-35.

I don't travel this stretch often, but the gap along I-40 from Oklahoma City, OK to Little Rock, AR is on the long side. There are 3 tentative sites on the Find Us page. Any of these would greatly help for travelers along I-40.

After these and completing out I-94 in North Dakota, I think you start getting into moving off the Interstates and onto US highways to enable more direct travel by avoiding roundabout travel as well as to open up areas of the country that are just not near an Interstate.

Having a stop between Springfield, MO and Miner, MO would allow easy travel along that route for people that don't want to drive 100 miles out of their way to I-70 or I-40 for East/West travel through Missouri. Currently, you need almost a 100% charge to make the 241 mile jump between these sites, especially in cool weather.

Stops along US-54 in and US-400 in KS, CO, OK, TX would open up those alternate routes. Traveling from Wichita, KS to Tucumcari, NM is 6h59m along US-54 and 7h37m along I-35/I-40 according to Google Maps. One or two stops along that route would open up the whole area to travel. Travel along US-54 lets you see the largest hand dug well. You don't see those when traveling along the Interstate.

Maybe the way to accomplish this is to look at locations that make jumping between I-80, I-70, I-40 possible without having to travel East/West to somewhere there is an existing Interstate. Double up those functions of putting extra locations on East/West US highways that are located along N/S highways that jump between these major interstates. A location like Liberal, KS would be nice for that since it's at the intersection of US-54 and US-83. That would make travel between the existing Colby, KS and Shamrock, TX Superchargers since it splits the leg into 173 and 146 mile legs. This also splits Wichita, KS to Tucumcari, NM into 212 and 209 mile legs. With the lower average speed on US highways, this would be doable with the larger batteries, but would require some care.

Frankly, Tesla should be looking at all
the navigation requests entered into the in-car navigation system and flagging any route where their Trip Planner redirects the trip more than X miles to find a Supercharger along the route. This will have a little bit of garbage data because some people pre-plan on a web site and then just manually enter the supercharger stops into the nav as they go, but it should be good start for answering this question. Tesla has the big data and should be using it instead of asking for our self-centered answers (the person from Wisconsin says sites are needed in Wisconsin, and I say sites are needed in Kansas and the areas close to me). :)

I'm not personally that familiar with the region and what highways get more traffic or what specific roads would be best but what I suggest is, Go to the map on supercharge.info, set the "Range" distance slider to 75 mi. Go to the map options, choose "All Range Circles On". Then look for holes. With those settings a hole will mean greater than 150 miles distance between 2 superchargers which is getting towards the "chancy" end for travel in winter with bad conditions for all but the longest range Teslas. Ones in this region that I see are:
  • Just north of Evansville, IN preferably at the intersection of I-64 and I-69; where Tesla's map already has a "coming soon" pin at Elberfeld, IN
  • Sioux City, IA
  • Watertown, SD or somewhere else suitable on I-29 between Sioux Falls, SD and Fargo, ND.
  • Somthing in the Quincy, IL / Hannibal, MO area, and/or maybe north of there around Keokuk, IA depending on route utility
  • SE Kansas area, maybe Freedonia or Iola, KS.
These aren't suggestions about the obvious gaping regions that don't have coverage like Northern Nebraska or SW Kansas between I-70 and I-40 or for whole routes like across the UP between Duluth and Sault Ste Marie. Those are areas that will really need multiple superchargers to be built, the above are more where a single site might really help.

Reactions: RedishArctic
Quincy IL / Hannibal MO is a pretty obvious location for one especially since its right on the 4 lane Chicago / Kansas City route. As is Sioux City which still claims target opening in 2018.
The other seemingly obvious missing locations in Western IL / Iowa are:
  • Peoria IL, or somewhere between Peoria and the Quad Cities like Galesburg. Both have convenient Hy-Vee locations right off of I-74. Right now there's no fast charging available on I-74 until you get to Bloomington. Which is a problem if you're only going to Peoria.
  • Altoona IA, it still says 'target opening in 2018' but its said it was going to open every year since I originally placed my reservation. Getting up to Ames from the east is currently a pain.
  • On that same note, Ames Iowa would be a great location allowing both easier travel up I-35, and allow driving west on 30 instead of 80 from Cedar Rapids / Iowa City.
  • Waterloo IA, which would allow driving up the 380 diagonal, or driving west from the Dubuque SC on 20 saving the trip all the way to West Des Moines or a longer stop at Iowa City.
  • A location further west on 20 like Fort Dodge or Early to make getting to Okoboji from the south easier and allow you to bypass the detour up to Dows if you're driving on 20.
  • Macomb IL which is on the same new 4 lane Chicago / Kansas City route as Quincy.
  • DeKalb IL or somewhere else on 88 between Aurora and the Quad Cities
Beyond that it would be awfully nice to see the Iowa City SC at the Hy-Vee supplemented by an Urban SC at the Coralville Mall, since that's the much more obvious place to stop when driving on I-80.
Also a partnership with MLBs Midwest League to install at the very least Destination Chargers at all their ballparks would be amazing.

Reactions: ratsbew and mociaf9
the planned Chilicothe ohio location. . . . this would be a big plus for me . . would save me an hour headed to see my daughter in north carolina.
also something on the US 31 corridor between Carmel and Mishawaka in Indiana maybe Peru or even Kokomo.

outside of the midwest i think Statesville NC should be revisited. The site was permitted but then never built. it would fill a hole on I77/

Northern Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan. Huge charging desert.
I would love to be able to travel to Houghton, and right now it is technically possible using the public L2 in Florence and in Houghton, but it would be a headache filled trip.
I would love superchargers but I really am skeptical if the traffic volume could justify it.
I don't want them to waste resources that could have supported a more popular route.

Reactions: outdoors
I would love to be able to travel to Houghton, and right now it is technically possible using the public L2 in Florence and in Houghton, but it would be a headache filled trip.
I would love superchargers but I really am skeptical if the traffic volume could justify it.
I don't want them to waste resources that could have supported a more popular route.
Yeah I have a trip planned to Houghton this summer... gonna be fun... :)

Even a single- or double-stall SuC would help a great deal. I'd much rather see a station up there than the planned one in Lake Geneva, WI next year. Despite the fact that I go to Lake Geneva every year (and drive past often as well), the other SuC's in the area are so close (plus there are destination chargers) I wonder why they are even bothering...

2-4 Urban SuC's would be nice but I'd settle for destination chargers on the highways split by current ones. Tourist/weekend drive places. I know a couple of these do have destination chargers already that get regular use.

Storm Lake, IA
Decorah, IA
Waterloo, IA
New Glarus, WI
Prairie Du Chien, Wi
Galena, IL
Dekalb, IL (Oasis)
Quincy, IL
Kalamazoo, MI

Reactions: RedishArctic
What are some routes or city locations in the Midwest you think Tesla NEEDS to cover or add more chargers in the Midwest in 2019?

I met one of the Tesla managers recently and they said I could send them owner Supercharger suggestions if I solicited them. No promises it will change anything, but I'll forward them along!
WE NEED A SUPERCHARGER LOCATION ON ARKANSAS 1-40 AT FT.SMITH, CLARKSVILLE, OR RUSSELLVILLE. TESLA OWNERS HAVE TO GO TO OKLAHOMA CITY VIA TULSA - HUNDREDS OF MILES OUT OF THE WAY. LIKEWISE EASTBOUND 1-40 DRIVERS MUST DETOUR TO LR CHARGERS BEFORE MEMPHIS LOCATIONS OFF I-240. PLEASE ADVISE IF I'M VIOLATING POSTING PROTOCOL - NOT SURE HOW THESE SITES WORK. THANKS

WE NEED A SUPERCHARGER LOCATION ON ARKANSAS 1-40 AT FT.SMITH, CLARKSVILLE, OR RUSSELLVILLE. TESLA OWNERS HAVE TO GO TO OKLAHOMA CITY VIA TULSA - HUNDREDS OF MILES OUT OF THE WAY. LIKEWISE EASTBOUND 1-40 DRIVERS MUST DETOUR TO LR CHARGERS BEFORE MEMPHIS LOCATIONS OFF I-240. PLEASE ADVISE IF I'M VIOLATING POSTING PROTOCOL - NOT SURE HOW THESE SITES WORK. THANKS

Reactions: SucreTease

Arkansas isn't covered under this subforum.

Thanks.

The only thing off putting about that is its a hotel and the information says its for guests only. It's probably too late for me to book something. I might look into if they're willing to allow a couple of hours of charging for a price, but I think that it should be possible to make the trip just using Dows and a normal plug at my destination.