Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MIG model Y. When will we see it in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So with model y deliveries from Berlin starting in a few weeks

When do we think we will start seeing these gracing our shores? Got an order in due in May but wondering to push it back for the Berlin made ones with the structural pack and 4680s...

Is it worth waiting or will I be waiting until 2023...

I think the question is - does the excitement of being a beta tester for new battery tech and a new production facility outweigh the potential cons? I doubt anyone here will be able to say how long before they start rolling out. They've changed the delivery goal for European MYP's twice now.

Plus, Tech FOMO is never ending, and Tesla are more tech company than automotive company in terms of their MO in my opinion. The cycles of change are much more frequent, and closer together. As soon as some land, the structural pack and 4680 battery will be old news, and people will be waiting for something else that's new.

Personally If I needed a replacement car I wouldn't push the order back. But others may feel differently.

Reactions: VX Foxy and Js1977
Are Berlin going to produce left hand drive? For which markets? (I have no knowledge of this, it may have already been announced that Berlin will make LHD for UK market)

If Australia and Japan are the other main left hand drive markets maybe China makes sense for all left hand drive cars?

History has shown the best quality to be during initial production or after a sustained period of stability, it's when they later ramp up production that quality drops.

Obviously this is relative to Tesla's baseline level of quality, so I'm not saying pre-ramp-up builds have no issues but just they tend to have fewer.

While I certainly can't profess to being an expert on vehicle manufacturing, when I went on the (excellent) tour around Mini's Oxford Plant they build LHD and RHD on the same production line, in fact they built electric and petrol, all the different sizes. all on one assembly like spitting out a new car every minute or so.

This sounds entirely sensible for a high volume manufacturing plant to keep the lines at peak efficiency. Surely Tesla will delivery cars to the UK from Germany, their Environmental report specifically called out the new factory reducing the amount of co2 from shipping cars.

I expect we will continue to get our cars from China for the foreseeable. All other RHD cars for markets like Japan, Hong Kong etc will be built there.

I doubt the logistics costs will actually be that much smaller given getting cars from Berlin to here will be on trucks rather than a few big boats. There is the tariff but I expect production costs will be lower in China.

Reactions: Wattsisname
The latest predictions are that by Q4 this year all European MY’s will be made in Germany. Tesla don’t get paid until they deliver the car so it costs them a lot of ship cars across from China so i think we will get MIG cars.
But as we are RHD I reckon we will be last.
If you push your order back there is a risk of a price increase.
The early 4680’s won’t be that much better than the 2170’s so I don’t think it’s worth waiting.
There is a wealth of information here: https://twitter.com/troyteslike?s=21

UK YP’s are coming from Berlin. Although delivery has moved to ‘late ‘22’, it’s not clear if this is all P orders. I did speak to a live chat person last week who advised those who ordered P’s for ‘mid ‘22’ will still get them then. But I’m not convinced.

UK YP’s are coming from Berlin. Although delivery has moved to ‘late ‘22’, it’s not clear if this is all P orders. I did speak to a live chat person last week who advised those who ordered P’s for ‘mid ‘22’ will still get them then. But I’m not convinced.
That's what they said to me in the Tesla Showroom. Berlin will furnish the European orders first and then start making the Performance models for the UK. (The guy said end of '22)

History has shown the best quality to be during initial production or after a sustained period of stability, it's when they later ramp up production that quality drops.

Obviously this is relative to Tesla's baseline level of quality, so I'm not saying pre-ramp-up builds have no issues but just they tend to have fewer.

I beg to differ. Read "Power Play" as evidence - very initial cars (first 1-2 months) will have many problems. The sweet spot is the first year from around the second quarter, prior to ramp, but after they've stopped building most cars by hand (which they will be doing!)

I beg to differ. Read "Power Play" as evidence - very initial cars (first 1-2 months) will have many problems. The sweet spot is the first year from around the second quarter, prior to ramp, but after they've stopped building most cars by hand (which they will be doing!)

That is based upon Fremont, the first factory.

The very first MIC builds were a noticeable step up from the first year second quarter in Fremont.

There is nothing confirmed as to UK MYPs coming from Berlin, in fact over on the MYP waiting room thread quite the opposite was confirmed by Tesla

After ordering an MYP on launch day this is the latest update I got yesterday

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email. The website and latest update we have had is late 2022, we have no indication of when Berlin built models will start coming to the UK. At this time it will continue to be Shanghai built. Please keep checking your account on a regular basis and the SMS journey will begin when we start the check-out and delivery time line.

I can’t see how Berlin made will be of any higher quality than China. They are pretty much spot on. Can’t be better?

Depends if you include reliability and quality of parts as well as fit and finish.

I'd say quality of parts and reliability can be improved still. I'm not sure where the reliability issues come from, is there damage during assembly (e.g. over torque, ESD issues), or just low quality parts in the supply chain.

Does indeed seem MIC has done well on fit and finish.

I'd like to see reliability improve, far too many service appointments still.

Is it worth waiting or will I be waiting until 2023...
I wouldn't bother waiting if you want to be driving one now. Our MIC MY easily has the best build quality of the 3 Teslas we've owned. Range is a non-issue for us and so the battery spec doesn't matter. I don't even know what the 4680 cells bring to the party? Another thing to consider is that there is every chance you could buy a MIC MY right now and trade-it in against a MIG MY next year for minimal net cost. If they run into supply issues, you might even make money on it.

There is nothing confirmed as to UK MYPs coming from Berlin, in fact over on the MYP waiting room thread quite the opposite was confirmed by Tesla
There have been a few people with contacts in Tesla that have mentioned UK MYP will come from Berlin. A service desk agent or SA wouldn't likely have that kind of information, and if they did they wouldn't be allowed to say it to the public.

I don't even know what the 4680 cells bring to the party?

FWIW my thought is that they have higher energy density, so a battery with the same kWh capacity would weight less, and consequently car would have more range. Maybe rapid-charge faster ... maybe early-adopters will have a range of unforeseen problems ... but if viewing Tesla-history that's will all be plus ça change of course

Reactions: Peteski
FWIW my thought is that they have higher energy density, so a battery with the same kWh capacity would weight less, and consequently car would have more range. Maybe rapid-charge faster ... maybe early-adopters will have a range of unforeseen problems ... but if viewing Tesla-history that's will all be plus ça change of course

Yes, if Tesla chooses to fill the space with a pack the same size if would be a bigger capacity ... (what if it's 90 or 100kWh in a LR Model 3 ... over 400 miles WLTP!!) Alternatively they could just optimise efficiency and use a smaller lighter pack with the same capacity as now and gain a little extra range that way.

Reactions: WannabeOwner