Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Might be contentious, but I think I prefer the coils to air...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I think this may be a contentious opinion for a couple of reasons, not least that I'm a Tesla owner who appears to be getting happier with their car as time passes, but that originally I was irked that I missed out on air suspension by a few weeks (when I ordered, it was coils only on the 75 or 75D and air only on the 90D and (P)100D) as it was an option I'd have ticked the box for immediately.

Having had the car for three months and in that period had a couple of service loaners with air suspension and having ridden in a friend's 90D with air springs, I'm actually rather glad I missed out as all of those cars felt disproportionately "floaty" to me, not least when one side is loaded up (for example going round a long, sweeping bend at speed) and the unloaded side hits a bump or a drain cover etc. rather upsetting the balance of the whole vehcile, and given the weight of it, that's a lot of energy to upset!

The air-suspension-equipped vehicles always felt very unsettled by events like that with the unloaded side oscillating up and down for a good second or two after the impulse, whereas the coils barely notice. The air springs are amazing on a flat road, but IMO the coils win when doing anything other than motorway cruising or urban pothole mitigation :-D

Yes, the ability to lift the nose out of the snow we've had in Blighty over the past week or so would've been welcome, but still not sure it beats the sure-footed feeling...

I had a similar impression with an air-ride 100D loaner that I had for a day. I prefer the ride of my coils, although the air suspension was definitely smoother on highway expansion joints. Chris Harris also didn't like the air suspension in his recent review, although who knows what he would say about the coils. At least you're not alone in your opinion!

...opinion...

I used to own coil ICE all my life until I got air suspension for my Tesla and I love it!

I also try out coil Tesla for a day or two while mine was in Service Center and the difference is not that noticeable if I don't pay attention.

If I do pay attention, I hate the coil suspension because I could hear louder tire noise and I can feel every road crack/bump...

What I now need is Magnetorheological suspension system.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I've both owned and driven other vehicles with air suspension and none of them seemed to be as flummoxed by mid-corner impulses as Tesla's. Not saying I don't like air (I mentioned I would've ticked the box immediately had it been available) - I just don't like the Tesla implementation of it in the S.

As for ferrofluid-type adaptive dampers, I'm kinda surprised the S doesn't have them as an option, considering its positioning as a sports-sedan...

Reactions: pilotSteve
Coils are always the same. When under 50 MPH (my setting to lower) Nicki might not have gone into low ride mode and gets "floaty" in hard cornering. Once down and ready she is as solid or more solid then coils.

Did you get the air cars down to low ride height before comparing?

Probably 'standard' as given the amount of detritus on the roads around me low seemed a little too low and didn't want to trash the loaners :-D

That having been said, its response still surprised me - IMO you shouldn't have to have the car set to maximum attack just to survive a drain cover mid corner with some decorum...

Give Tesla some credit; they designed in enough ground clearance.
Unlike the Panamera the Model S does not bottom out all the time. Our roads here are horrible here but Nicki on low never bottoms out. She probably would if I tried parking lots, curbs, railroad tracks, etc. But any road that is not under construction is smooth enough.

If the coils were an option I'd pay extra for them over the air suspension. Maybe it was the very cold temps last night, but our 100D loaner ride was pretty bad. Very jittery and in my view completely inferior to the coils.

The air suspension is also more complex and prone to failure (all brands, not just Tesla).

Reactions: FlatSix911
If the coils were an option I'd pay extra for them over the air suspension. Maybe it was the very cold temps last night, but our 100D loaner ride was pretty bad. Very jittery and in my view completely inferior to the coils.

The air suspension is also more complex and prone to failure (all brands, not just Tesla).

What cars are you comparing, I don't doubt that coils can ride better than air, just asking.

Agreed the air suspension is complex, heavier and more failure prone. I took the variable suspension off my motorcycle and saved 12 lbs while getting a better ride (the automatic settings were not well chosen for my weight).

But in many places setting ride height is mandatory to avoid damage.

I agree with The Duke: the ride height is probably the most important advantage to the air suspension for many people. Fortunately not an issue for me so I probably discount its importance.

My car is a May 2017 delivery S75D with coils. I'm currently in a 2017 S100D loaner, and also had a P85D loaner recently, both with air suspension. I prefer the ride and handling of the coil suspension based on those drives.

When I had a loaner with coils, I found that on the highway I started getting motion sickness symptoms because the ride was too floaty to me compared with my 2012 Sig Models S with air suspension. I did not notice the issue with the coils in regular suburban driving, but once out on the highway my motion sickness feeling would come back.

Hello,

I think this may be a contentious opinion for a couple of reasons, not least that I'm a Tesla owner who appears to be getting happier with their car as time passes, but that originally I was irked that I missed out on air suspension by a few weeks (when I ordered, it was coils only on the 75 or 75D and air only on the 90D and (P)100D) as it was an option I'd have ticked the box for immediately.

Having had the car for three months and in that period had a couple of service loaners with air suspension and having ridden in a friend's 90D with air springs, I'm actually rather glad I missed out as all of those cars felt disproportionately "floaty" to me, not least when one side is loaded up (for example going round a long, sweeping bend at speed) and the unloaded side hits a bump or a drain cover etc. rather upsetting the balance of the whole vehcile, and given the weight of it, that's a lot of energy to upset!

The air-suspension-equipped vehicles always felt very unsettled by events like that with the unloaded side oscillating up and down for a good second or two after the impulse, whereas the coils barely notice. The air springs are amazing on a flat road, but IMO the coils win when doing anything other than motorway cruising or urban pothole mitigation :-D

Yes, the ability to lift the nose out of the snow we've had in Blighty over the past week or so would've been welcome, but still not sure it beats the sure-footed feeling...
Agreed.

I picked the coils mainly because I was warned that the air struts tend to cause trouble sometimes and are expensive to replace. Comparing the ride I honestly don't feel one or the other is better or worse. I drove both versions plenty.

I agree that sometimes you bottom out your car with the coils. I lost track how many times I did in drive ways or ramps or speed bumps. To be fair, though, many times you don't know before you bottom out so it's not like you can raise the suspension ahead of time.

Maybe I'm getting old, but sometimes I feel the Model S is pretty stiff. Sometimes I wish I could have a softer, smoother ride. Most of the time I drive relaxed and wish I had a more comfortable suspension.

I’ve changed out many coil over struts in my life. They’re good for 60-80k miles. The struts wear out (Bilstein, KYB, whatever..) you never really notice until you get into a car with a fresh suspension. Matching and tuning springs with the right struts depends on what you’re trying to accomplish: track, highway, load range, etc. Frankly, I can’t tell the difference between one or the other if the dampening is the same. I like the ability to change ride height depending on gps location—keeps my front end from scraping high angle driveways.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
We've got one car with coils and one with air. I perfer the air, but honestly there isn't a ton of difference. The coil has some reverbs that you don't feel in the air suspension. Certainly don't feel like the air is 'floaty' or anything.

Had HR coil overs on a couple of Audi 's and I am really glad to have the air suspension. Love the smooth ride on the highway. didn't realize how rough the coil overs were till i drove this air suspension. Also the adjustability is obviously a huge bonus for my high curbed driveway.