Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Might switch to Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it’s been said already a couple times, but I really look at the shift for why Tesla is still the “best” is the superchargers. They’re almost everywhere (at least everywhere enough for long distance interstate travel) and they’re pretty “standard” experience. You know most are ~150kW (but might be slower is busy) and some new ones are 250kW. More dense urban cores or parking garages are 72kW but dedicated. That’s it. It’s fairly easy to plan and you basically know what the location is before getting there.

The other fast charger networks are a mishmash. You might find some 150kW or even 350kW EA chargers... but you might also run across a lot of 50kW max. You might have a broken charger that’s broken for weeks or even longer if it’s not in a heavy traffic area. You might need three different networks to activate and pay for them and the real time status might not be updating.

Superchargers might experience problems every now and then, but in my experience FAR less than these other 3rd parties. Maybe in a busy city the other guys are just as reliable, but what about in the middle of Nebraska at a Walmart? Tesla seems to stay on top of even their remote superchargers (for the most part). Is long distance or leisure travel (to maybe more remote or less EV populous areas) something you might do? What about not being able to use Tesla destination chargers?

Otherwise I think the car probably is “good enough” and would be fun!
I've been thinking for a while now that the first legacy automaker who partners with Tesla for the charging network is going to have the best chance of surviving the transition successfully.

I've been thinking for a while now that the first legacy automaker who partners with Tesla for the charging network is going to have the best chance of surviving the transition successfully.
I think it would be really smart for Tesla NOT to do that, unless they have extremely deep pockets and can deploy like 500 new locations within like 12 months or something. Tesla has no reason to share their ace. We’re within a generation or so of efficiency and range not really being an issue. Will people really care that the range is 300 miles while the other guy is at 400 miles when you can charge 100+ miles in ten minutes or something?

Price and charging quality (both a uniform experience across the network and number of locations) will be the big factors. I don’t see Tesla pushing to hit the $25k market anytime soon, so charging is really their key point...

I think it would be really smart for Tesla NOT to do that, unless they have extremely deep pockets and can deploy like 500 new locations within like 12 months or something. Tesla has no reason to share their ace. We’re within a generation or so of efficiency and range not really being an issue. Will people really care that the range is 300 miles while the other guy is at 400 miles when you can charge 100+ miles in ten minutes or something?

Price and charging quality (both a uniform experience across the network and number of locations) will be the big factors. I don’t see Tesla pushing to hit the $25k market anytime soon, so charging is really their key point...

...accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

That’s the point of have another manufacturer in on the Supercharger network, so there is more money to deploy more stations.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
That’s the point of have another manufacturer in on the Supercharger network, so there is more money to deploy more stations.

Ya, but it would have to be an agreement that resulted in a massive increase at a fast rate. Five years ago it might have made sense to have a partner to help build it out, but now the foot print is so good that Tesla doesn’t really *need* a partner. Their expansion can probably just continue in house to meet the Tesla demand AND they don’t share the absolute best charging network...

Ya, but it would have to be an agreement that resulted in a massive increase at a fast rate. Five years ago it might have made sense to have a partner to help build it out, but now the foot print is so good that Tesla doesn’t really *need* a partner. Their expansion can probably just continue in house to meet the Tesla demand AND they don’t share the absolute best charging network...
Sure, they don't need help but more chargers is always better.

Hi All. I'm a huge Tesla fan, and also a huge Porsche fan. I currently have a Dual Motor LR which I really like. I love the car for all the same reasons you guys do, but have always been a bit disappointed with the build quality and quality of materials. This may be in part because I've been used to Porsches in the past. I still have a 1982 911 SC. When I first got the Model 3 it had to have a few things corrected (seat foam missing a piece, panel gaps) and now it will have to go in for a dash pad replacement due to bubbling in a few spots. Now that the Taycan is out I'm seriously thinking about getting the 4S. I realize that it carries a 50 - 55K premium over my Model 3, but the thought of having another electric option that is a real drivers car but also includes typical Porsche quality and driving characteristics might be worth it to me. Anyone else have this thought, or am I alone on this one?

If you're in a position to afford the Taycan and you love Porsche as an ownership experience, by all means jump on it. I haven't driven one yet but I would expect nothing less than impressive.

The people clamoring on about range don't understand that the Taycan is first and foremost a lifestyle accessory befitting to Porsche. None of the owners will care at all about the range or the W/Mi figures. What matters is the steering, handling, power delivery, and that intangible "Porsche-ness" that it exudes.

Best of luck @997at

Reactions: gowthamn and Solor
I personally have negative feelings toward the Taycan for a couple of reasons.

This is a car that doesn't know what it wants to be. Porsche keep referring to it as a "sports car", but it's a 5000+ pound 4-door sedan. They could have built a BEV sports car, but they chose to do this instead. Yes, Porsche have a great legacy — in sports cars — and I'm sure whenever they get around to producing an electric sports car, it'll be great. This just isn't it.

And as for efficiency… You have to walk before you can run. You have to nail down the basics first. In electric cars, efficiency is one of the basics, and it matters in ways that it never mattered before with gas cars, and Porsche flubbed it.

Forget about the Model S. From where I sit, the Taycan doesn't win over the BMW i8. The i8 is a sort of goofy through-the-road hybrid and not exactly a pure sports car in its own right, but in this comparison I'd take it. It looks amazing, weighs 1,500 pounds less, and you can go on road trips with it.

I could even argue that the Taycan doesn't score a clear win over my 2010 Tesla Roadster. If you want incredibly sharp (and fun!) sports car handling, the Roadster's got it, and even running on it's original battery (now over nine years old) mine still charges up to over 200 miles EPA range — that coming from a battery pack with half the rated capacity of the Taycan's. Yes, it's only 50 KWh.

I don't know where the next great electric sports car will come from. Tesla seem to be going a different direction with the new Roadster, which should be amazing but is not the car I would have ordered. Porsche I'm sure will eventually do a real BEV sports car, but when? Maybe Lotus will take a crack at it, once they work this Evija hypercar nonsense out of their system.

• Disagree
Reactions: gowthamn
To the OP - my Porsche dealer tells me about half of their waiting list are people who owned EVs, most of them Tesla - so you are not the only one considering it. The downsides of Taycan are obviously price, charging infrastructure and range. Advantage is really a very good looking car with beautiful interior and that drives very well - have not heard a negative review yet.

I have a very early Taycan reservation, and since the launch I have been back-and-forth if I should transform this to an order. I would prefer Tesla in terms of price, range and superchargers, but I am just tired of waiting for an upgrade in interior quality. I do not track the car, so I could not care less about the coming plaid drivetrain - for my personal use, the existing model S is already too fast. Besides, I get easily bored with cars, and buying something that in the interior looks 98% similar to the car we got in 2014 is not appealing at all. I would rather see Tesla put some effort into making the interior more in line with what you can expect from a 100k car, but that does not seem to be on the radar screen.

I loved all Tesla's we had (3 of them), but I am ready for a comfortable, rich-appointed interior. If the Taycan looks and feels as good in person as I can see from the video reviews I will lease one - so we are going to be a completely EV household (replacing my Merc, my wife is holding on to the model 3).

Reactions: wreighven
To the OP - my Porsche dealer tells me about half of their waiting list are people who owned EVs, most of them Tesla - so you are not the only one considering it. The downsides of Taycan are obviously price, charging infrastructure and range. Advantage is really a very good looking car with beautiful interior and that drives very well - have not heard a negative review yet.

I have a very early Taycan reservation, and since the launch I have been back-and-forth if I should transform this to an order. I would prefer Tesla in terms of price, range and superchargers, but I am just tired of waiting for an upgrade in interior quality. I do not track the car, so I could not care less about the coming plaid drivetrain - for my personal use, the existing model S is already too fast. Besides, I get easily bored with cars, and buying something that in the interior looks 98% similar to the car we got in 2014 is not appealing at all. I would rather see Tesla put some effort into making the interior more in line with what you can expect from a 100k car, but that does not seem to be on the radar screen.

I loved all Tesla's we had (3 of them), but I am ready for a comfortable, rich-appointed interior. If the Taycan looks and feels as good in person as I can see from the video reviews I will lease one - so we are going to be a completely EV household (replacing my Merc, my wife is holding on to the model 3).
I sat in a car with a 'nice' interior recently after being really excited to have a second car that had that, and I was immediately a little let down, it wasn't as rewarding as I thought it'd be. I do agree I want Tesla to do something new - somewhere 'up' to go but I'm really not sure what that is at this point.

If you're in a position to afford the Taycan and you love Porsche as an ownership experience, by all means jump on it. I haven't driven one yet but I would expect nothing less than impressive.

The people clamoring on about range don't understand that the Taycan is first and foremost a lifestyle accessory befitting to Porsche. None of the owners will care at all about the range or the W/Mi figures. What matters is the steering, handling, power delivery, and that intangible "Porsche-ness" that it exudes.

Best of luck @997at

This guy gets it! Its odd seeing post about Porsche and complaining about its lack if “utility”. Not to sound offensive but if your last car before your 3, S, or X was a Civic or similar you simply are not the demographic for the Taycan. It is meant as most Porsche are - very sporty status symbol. If you want utility get a Honda or something.

I sat in a car with a 'nice' interior recently after being really excited to have a second car that had that, and I was immediately a little let down, it wasn't as rewarding as I thought it'd be. I do agree I want Tesla to do something new - somewhere 'up' to go but I'm really not sure what that is at this point.

I think I understand what you say - but was that because of the change to ICE or because of the clunkier user interface, or perhaps both? We have now a model 3 with white interior (very elegant, zen-like) and a 2019 Merc E-coupe. My wife and I both prefer the model 3 for the fun of driving, but both appreciate the comfort and elegance of the Merc interior. It the Mercedes E-coupe had the model 3 drive train, I would not imagine getting another car for quite some time; I would miss the better Tesla user interface, but the comfort of the seats, quality of materials, lovely ambient lights at night would make up for it. Conversely, if Tesla would start making some cars with Mercedes-like interior comfort I would not mind paying the huge premium that may command - much like I am going to pay the huge price hike for the Taycan.

Reactions: ICUDoc
I put a deposit on a Taycan but canceled to order a Model 3 Performance. I currently have a 2016 Porsche Cayenne and a 2017 Porsche Cayman, so I am a Porsche fan too. The technology on both Porsches' are a bit lacking. The cars often sets off alarms while sitting in traffic as if I am about to hit someone. Both have had major mechanical work within the first 5,000 miles (no major work since). But, I still get technical glitches often enough to make me walk away from the Taycan. I would rather have a cheaper car with a solid resale value and a documented history than a "first of its kind" from Porsche. People complain about how easily paint chips on Tesla but I can assure you that Porsche has the same problems. I have had to paint the hood of my Cayman twice in 3 years due to chips. The only difference is the cost to maintain the car. Once the Taycan is out and the issues are corrected, I may get one. :)