Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mileage Check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just passed 10,000 miles on my Model S (we don't drive much around home, but have taken it on a couple of road trips to California). I think the best way to summarize my impressions is this: if it was to be wrecked or stolen, I would not consider any other car - I would get another Model S.

Just about to pass 40,000 miles on my Roadster. While less practical, it is even more fun to drive.

In my Sport Utility Sedan I have -

over 11000 mi
2 auto crosses
more than 10 > 300 mile 1 day trips
2 drag nights
bought lots of crap from the hardware store
had a very comfortable nigh sleeping in it
and our dogs like it MUCH more than the Rav4 I owned before, they are way less stressed and actually stay laying down for most of the trip through the 101 hills to the Bay Area

Still love Joules!

Wouldn't consider another car/ carmaker. Nothing comparable exists in my world.
Giving test rides whenever someone seems interested (have made many interesting new friends/acquaintances)
or at least show off the car

It is just amazing. I still just want to go and drive all of the time.
...would love to be a Tesla test driver and see how fast I could get 1000000miles on an S or anything they want to build for that matter

Only had ours 5 weeks, go 2400 miles already, my wife has taken it over, need to order another. No problems could not think of owning any other car at this time. Love it

I love these stories. Imagine how good it will be when they have another two years or so of software development and refinement.

I'm up to 8,500 miles.

Will pass 12,000 miles this week (in under 7 months). It's a pretty early car (1267), but has been very reliable. Several minor issues they'll address at my 12k mile service in a couple of weeks, but nothing major or affecting the performance or reliability. Could not be happier.

2,700 miles since May 7. I had a Genesis Coupe that I loved, and couldn't bring myself to sell... But I haven't been able to pass up driving the S yet to take the Genesis to work. Looks like I will be having to cut the cord since it does no good sitting idle in the garage. I always get very attached to my cars, but I think they'll have to bury me in my Tesla years from now.

4+ months and 6000+ miles, and I'm still loving it. :-D Still love the acceleration and find it a comfortable, quiet drive. I felt it worked great for DC-Boston and back, as well as DC-Raleigh and back--i.e., a good road trip car.

Just passed 10,000 miles on my Model S (we don't drive much around home, but have taken it on a couple of road trips to California). I think the best way to summarize my impressions is this: if it was to be wrecked or stolen, I would not consider any other car - I would get another Model S.

Just about to pass 40,000 miles on my Roadster. While less practical, it is even more fun to drive.
Since you provided the (somewhat dark, hrm) hypothetical, here's another one:

If something "took away" your Roadster (wrecked, stolen, alien abduction, ...) would you replace it with another Roadster, a second Model S, or something else?

If something "took away" your Roadster (wrecked, stolen, alien abduction, ...) would you replace it with another Roadster, a second Model S, or something else?

Why?! What are you planning?

That's actually hard to say. Of course I would love nothing more than to replace it with a Roadster and that could happen; but I went way outside my nature buying the first one and not sure I'd do it again given there are far cheaper EV choices now. We have a Model S and little need to drive, so I would likely replace it with a less expensive EV. I don't think I'd replace it with a second S (though I would consider it); we don't need two cars that big. I hope nothing bad happens until Gen 3 is available; replacing the Roadster with a base model Gen3 would be perfect. Unless the insurance check is so big I feel compelled to get a decked-out Gen3; that would be over-perfect.

But yeah, to the OP's point, we owners are pretty happy with our Teslas. They are not perfect, but their good points way outshine the bad.

Last edited:
Just turned over 11,600 miles since January (though it was out of commission for almost a month), and loving it. This is my 2nd EV experience (though the previous one was a MINI E test vehicle), and i agree with the others that i can't imagine myself buying another ICE car. We have a minivan that's great for hauling our kids around, but they'll be in college in another 4 years and by then i'm sure my wife will want the Gen III, assuming the SuperCharger build-out goes according to plan.

One of the best things about the Model S is that it is more of an electronic appliance that can be upgraded relatively easily via software. And with the battery swapping announcement, and expected improvements in battery tech, i can't see why I won't have my Model S in another decade or for even longer - and that it very likely will be an even better car then than it is now (400 mile pack, improved user interface, etc.). I have kept ICE cars for long periods (7-8 years), but it's usually the small inconveniences that crop up (like phantom maintenance lights, broken knobs, etc.) in addition to the increasing maintenance costs that make me want to give them up. But with a Model S I just have this feeling that i've got a long, long time ahead driving it, and that it won't ever really 'grow old' in the same way a frozen ICE car experience does. It'll be interesting to see if that pans out!

8 months and 12.5k miles. After a month I realized I might have trouble sharing, and secretly put down a deposit for a second for my wife. By December the kids called me out for not sharing ;). My wife agreed to get the second Tesla to beat the price increase. Basically we LOVE the cars! Drive them everywhere. I daydream that model X can handle our boat and let us retire our last ICE SUV. I used to love renting cars and trying new models. Now I can't wait to get home to my REAL car, and I don't mind if I have to use my wife's.

Funny things is that our community has a gazillion Model S and EV. Our mayor observed recently that our tiny Northern CA town would be the sixth largest state in terms of EV registrations. That said people driving down the street just stop in the middle of the road to look at our two S. One by one our neighbors are being won over :)