Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mileage on MSLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I normally track using percentage. I'm currently getting 32 miles at 12%. This driving at avg speed of 70mph, no AC. I took it to be checked and they stated it's within specs. I remember they left a paper stating they changed the charging pack. Is this thr normal range? I figured I'd at least be getting about 370 on a full charge but it's more like 310.

Any thoughts or insights is greatly appreciated.

TIA!

I don't think you can get an accurate measurement of overall range by looking at the last 12% of your battery. From my experience we get better range at the top end and it gets a little worse toward the bottom. Try your same test from 90%-80% and see what the difference is.

I've only had my Long Range for ~3 weeks.

Charging to 90% gets me almost 350 miles. Anecdotal of course, but its been pretty consistent. You getting 370 on a full charge seems low.

I did get down to 20% on Monday and it showed 82 miles left. Charged to 90% and I think it was ~350. Maybe 347 or something.

EDIT: I usually keep my setting to show mileage because I'm more familiar with my day to day driving and how far things are. I used to ride motorcycles a ton without gas gauges so I always had mileage in the back of my mind.

I've only had my Long Range for ~3 weeks.

Charging to 90% gets me almost 350 miles. Anecdotal of course, but its been pretty consistent. You getting 370 on a full charge seems low.

I did get down to 20% on Monday and it showed 82 miles left. Charged to 90% and I think it was ~350. Maybe 347 or something.

EDIT: I usually keep my setting to show mileage because I'm more familiar with my day to day driving and how far things are. I used to ride motorcycles a ton without gas gauges so I always had mileage in the back of my mind.
As a new Tesla owner you will want to better understand the difference of "showing" and "getting".

the OP specifically used the words "getting 32 miles at 12%". You are using the term "showing 82 miles at 20%". Those are two different things and as it pertains to this particular topic, words are important.

What you show is the rated range, which is likely not what you will "get" at 70 MPH.

Reactions: aerodyne
As a new Tesla owner you will want to better understand the difference of "showing" and "getting".

the OP specifically used the words "getting 32 miles at 12%". You are using the term "showing 82 miles at 20%". Those are two different things and as it pertains to this particular topic, words are important.

What you show is the rated range, which is likely not what you will "get" at 70 MPH.

Oh I understand completely. I'm not new to how this works.

Just saying what I'm showing has been very accurate so far in the last 3 weeks. I have a heavy foot (I usually drive high power vehicles).

Worry less? There is a warranty in place and IMO it only matters as you get closer to that warranty expiring. I personally have never tracked the mileage closely. We charge to 80% and have never gone below 42% in a single day. Plugged in every night.

One day I drove about 50 highway miles one way and the battery % was not dropping for miles and I told my wife I thought something may be wrong with the battery. It eventually dropped but we were going slightly downhill for most of that drive, and we must have had a tailwind. I made that 50 miles on 10% of the battery. The way home took us nearly 30%. Slightly uphill and into the wind. Point I am trying to make is there is so many variables to consider. Who cares (at least I don't) :)

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
My job is 32 miles from my house. I leave home at 89% battery life. By the time I get to work it's down to 86-87%. When I get home, I'm already low 70 battery charge remaining.

Estimating it this way means I'm getting around 315 mileage on a full charge. I always drive around 70mpg on cruise and windows cracked. Just figured I'd get better mileage.

I have only 180 miles on my May built MS LR.

RR north of 404.5

Consumption around town about 250 Wh/mi.

Look at the EPA data. Rating is based on combined city and highway. Highway range will be nowhere near 405 miles. Maybe 350ish at 70mph.

Reactions: Richbuton
My job is 32 miles from my house. I leave home at 89% battery life. By the time I get to work it's down to 86-87%. When I get home, I'm already low 70 battery charge remaining.

Estimating it this way means I'm getting around 315 mileage on a full charge. I always drive around 70mpg on cruise and windows cracked. Just figured I'd get better mileage.
This is really hard to follow and really does not make much sense.

Based off of this response, you get to work and only consume 2-3% for your 32 mile drive? But when you get home you are down to 70%. Do you travel downhill on your way to work and uphill on the way home?

Do you park outside at work? If it's hot you will lose range during the day due to cabin overheat protection and this loss should not be factored into your actual range.

This is really hard to follow and really does not make much sense.

Based off of this response, you get to work and only consume 2-3% for your 32 mile drive? But when you get home you are down to 70%. Do you travel downhill on your way to work and uphill on the way home?

Do you park outside at work? If it's hot you will lose range during the day due to cabin overheat protection and this loss should not be factored into your actual range.

No, the 32 miles takes away 12-13% one way for a total of about 25%. So when I leave home at 90% and drive a total of 64 miles, I'm around 65% once I'm home.
I was just quoting your post, which is why I said it was not easy to follow:

"My job is 32 miles from my house. I leave home at 89% battery life. By the time I get to work it's down to 86-87%. When I get home, I'm already low 70 battery charge remaining."

Based on this you only consume 2-3% (89%-86-87%) to get to you work.

And your numbers keep changing, ("When I get home, I'm already low 70 battery charge remaining."...."I'm around 65% once I'm home.") I don't think we are going to be able to help you figure out if you have an issue or not.

Best of luck.

Simplified:

Battery life leaving home to work @89-90%
Arrive to work: distance 32 miles
Battery life at work: 77-78%
Leaving work for home distance: 32 miles
Battery life arriving at home: 64-65%

Even simpler. 64 miles consumes roughly 25% battery life.

And it's parked in a covered garage.

Simplified:

Battery life leaving home to work @89-90%
Arrive to work: distance 32 miles
Battery life at work: 77-78%
Leaving work for home distance: 32 miles
Battery life arriving at home: 64-65%

Even simpler. 64 miles consumes roughly 25% battery life.

And it's parked in a covered garage.
always drive around 70mpg

This is the same basic information / complaint in the gigantic 260+ page "battery" thread in the model 3 subforum. EPA range is at like 55 MPH and its not "a little more consumption" to go faster.

Im not reading anything unusual here, but I also dont have a model S. A new S should be like model 3s in this regard though, so it all sounds normal to me.