Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mileage when towing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's what I've been reading, but not many hybrid campers are aerodynamic either. Best one I've seen so far is the Alto line, and those are just a tad cramped for 4.

Still looking, but popups may be the best bet when it comes to aero and usable space.

Depends on the topography of the towing route. If there's a significant downhill stretch, you might regain some power on the way down. A nice feature that could be in a future firmware update for the Model X specifically is topographically-aware navigational routes for towing, taking into account regenerative braking on downhill stretches.

@AnOutsider
Consider how you might model an estimation of the mileage. For example, you might take into account weight of the camper, weight of the items in the camper, coeff. of drag of the camper, height, width, etc. This might be a useful start to a handy tool for evtripplanner or a good email suggestion for Tesla to offer something in-house (i.e. on the website) to aid shoppers.

I wonder if the Model X once placed in Tow mode, ignores past history from the calculation of range and estimated energy usage. Because in reality it's not the same vehicle at that point.

Look at aliners and chalets. 16ft airstream get my vote though

I actually checked out the ALiners this morning. I was looking into the RPODS, and while they're more aerodynamic than most (and all fairly light), a guy on the RPOD forum said he went from 22 MPG to 10 MPG in his Jeep when towing an RPOD. With an ALiner he said he got 16 MPG.

Going from 22 MPG to 10 MPG is a 55% loss in range. In a best case scenario with a P90D X, that'd be 112.5 miles on a charge (probably more like 100ish).

Using the same math, that would put you at 187.5 mile range with a popup.

As for the Airstream Bambis, I can't help thinking a Safari Alto (or even RPOD) would be a better choice both in terms of cost and usable space.

So, getting closer to grabbing an RPOD, but some reading has revealed a couple interesting products that folks who tow have recommended.

First is the Aeroplus, a sort of roof-mounted spoiler that's supposed to push air up and over the item you're towing, which, I guess, cuts down on the impact the frontal area of the trailer would make. Doesn't look compatible with the X though.

aeroplusbanner.png

Aeroplus | Roof-Mounted Wind Deflector | Trailer Accessories | Purple Line

Next is the AirTab, which looks like a product designed for tractor trailers. It's a bunch of little triangles that supposedly help with funnelling air. Looks like something that would need a bunch of tinkering to get right, though you wouldn't need to do any roof mods, it can stay on, and could work on both the towing vehicle and the item being towed.

trailflo1.gif

utility1.jpg

Airtab | Aerodynamic Fuel Savers | Application

Interesting, those look like airplane vortex generators which create a turbulent boundary layer to delay separation of the boundary layer from the trailing edge, improving control surface response. Here, I suppose with the vortex generators on the trailing edge of the trailer creating a turbulent boundary layer you might see slightly less drag...

how does the wind deflector get mounted? If it's by suction cup (a'la Seasucker racks) then it could work, you'd just not open the falcon wings when it's in place...

how does the wind deflector get mounted? If it's by suction cup (a'la Seasucker racks) then it could work, you'd just not open the falcon wings when it's in place...

From what I read, it mounts to your roof rack (which, so far, the X does not have). I found another that seems to hook into the channels by the rear windows but 1) it had middling reviews and 2) not sure that would work with the doors either.

So, getting closer to grabbing an RPOD, but some reading has revealed a couple interesting products that folks who tow have recommended.

First is the Aeroplus, a sort of roof-mounted spoiler that's supposed to push air up and over the item you're towing, which, I guess, cuts down on the impact the frontal area of the trailer would make. Doesn't look compatible with the X though.

aeroplusbanner.png

Aeroplus | Roof-Mounted Wind Deflector | Trailer Accessories | Purple Line

Next is the AirTab, which looks like a product designed for tractor trailers. It's a bunch of little triangles that supposedly help with funnelling air. Looks like something that would need a bunch of tinkering to get right, though you wouldn't need to do any roof mods, it can stay on, and could work on both the towing vehicle and the item being towed.

trailflo1.gif

utility1.jpg

Airtab | Aerodynamic Fuel Savers | Application

An Rpod will have very similar drag as a square trailer. Because if you look from the front, the silhouette of the frontal area is the same.

Trailers like scamp, escape, airstream have tapering side so there is less frontal area.

Yes an Rpod is more aerodynamic then a box but your talking like 2% in reality not 15%. Basically airstream radiused the corners and lowered frontal area. Rpod swept the forward surface but didn't lessen the frontal area.

Also the amount of empty space between the tow vehicle and the trailer induces drag. You'll notice a Semi truck and reafer are very close, trying to fill in space. The Rpod will greatly increase empty space due to the model X and trailer roofs sloping away from each other.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
if you put a square box around the airstream, you would find lots of frontal area removed in the corners. This frontal area is the largest drag factor at highway speeds. If you were traveling much faster, like a plane. Then shape and length would start to weigh in. Because drag goes up exponentially.

If you were traveling at 40mph, shape wouldn't have enough effect to really matter

No matter the speed, the airstream will always be more efficient in drag then the Rpod, and then the cargo trailer. But the Rpod and cargo trailer are a lot closer in result then the Airstream to the Rpod is.

That AeroShield is very interesting. It would have been infinitely more practical if they used that space underneath for storage and made it into a box that doubles as a deflector.

Anyway, it would be fun to have it remotely controlled. Then one could say deflector shields up, just before moving. :D

• Funny
Reactions: AnOutsider