Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mileage with 19 vs 21 inch wheels - an observation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4 weeks ago I replaced my 21 inch Michelin Pilots with the OEM Goodyear 19 inch tires on T Sport rims. Interesting to note that most of the threads say that the 21's get worse mileage. I am finding out that is just the opposite of what I am seeing. When we took delivery of our S it had the OEM Goodyear 19's, which we took off in the first 200 miles and replaced them with 21 Turbines and Michelins. The Michelins wore fairly well, and I just switched back to the OEM Goodyears at 34,000 miles. It seems from what I am seeing, the 21 inch Michelins were 2% more efficient than the OEM 19 inch Goodyears. Interesting as this is opposite of most findings.

4 weeks ago I replaced my 21 inch Michelin Pilots with the OEM Goodyear 19 inch tires on T Sport rims. Interesting to note that most of the threads say that the 21's get worse mileage. I am finding out that is just the opposite of what I am seeing. When we took delivery of our S it had the OEM Goodyear 19's, which we took off in the first 200 miles and replaced them with 21 Turbines and Michelins. The Michelins wore fairly well, and I just switched back to the OEM Goodyears at 34,000 miles. It seems from what I am seeing, the 21 inch Michelins were 2% more efficient than the OEM 19 inch Goodyears. Interesting as this is opposite of most findings.

It could be the rotational weight. I will be taking delivey of my car with the 19s which I plan to pull off immediately and replace with Axis model S wheels in 21 inch. I will try to weight the wheels when I do the swap and compare mileage.