TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Mileage with 19 vs 21 inch wheels - an observation

Discussion in 'Model S' started by rogbmw, May 11, 2016.

1. rogbmw

rogbmw Member

4 weeks ago I replaced my 21 inch Michelin Pilots with the OEM Goodyear 19 inch tires on T Sport rims. Interesting to note that most of the threads say that the 21's get worse mileage. I am finding out that is just the opposite of what I am seeing. When we took delivery of our S it had the OEM Goodyear 19's, which we took off in the first 200 miles and replaced them with 21 Turbines and Michelins. The Michelins wore fairly well, and I just switched back to the OEM Goodyears at 34,000 miles. It seems from what I am seeing, the 21 inch Michelins were 2% more efficient than the OEM 19 inch Goodyears. Interesting as this is opposite of most findings.

2. ZoomFPV

ZoomFPV Member

It could be the rotational weight. I will be taking delivey of my car with the 19s which I plan to pull off immediately and replace with Axis model S wheels in 21 inch. I will try to weight the wheels when I do the swap and compare mileage.

3. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

I read somewhere that range improves after the tires are slightly worn in

4. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

This probably has something to do with it. I would recommend that OP drives a few thousand miles and then check again. Still, very interesting.

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

@rogbmw - It's helpful to be specific on the full name of the tires. As an example, if you search on "Michelin Pilot" at TireRack you get 444 results.