Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mileage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I don't drive my car much and have put on <1K miles in 4 months and spotted something that appeared to be VERY sTrAnGe.
I charged the car overnight and when I entered the vehicle it was at 85% charged, I drove 2.8 miles and when I looked at the battery life it was 81%. I can't believe that driving 2.8 miles drained my battery 4% which means that at this rate, I would need to recharge the battery after driving 60 miles.
Really, or do I have a battery issue?
Thank you
Bob

Hey guys, I don't drive my car much and have put on <1K miles in 4 months and spotted something that appeared to be VERY sTrAnGe.
I charged the car overnight and when I entered the vehicle it was at 85% charged, I drove 2.8 miles and when I looked at the battery life it was 81%. I can't believe that driving 2.8 miles drained my battery 4% which means that at this rate, I would need to recharge the battery after driving 60 miles.
Really, or do I have a battery issue?
Thank you
Bob

There is nothing strange at all about that, and no you dont have a mileage issue. Miles will almost never roll off at 1:1, and you cant calculate it like that. For more detail, you can look at this sticky thread in the model 3 subforum about range and battery, etc, which is currently 200+ pages:

For a super high level synopsis...

"Thats very normal, there is no battery issue with your car displaying that, miles will not roll off at 1:1 unless you drive like the EPA tests, and when you first get in the car it uses a lot of energy doing stuff like warming the cabin, warming the battery, etc in addition to moving the car that means short trips are not super efficient".

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec
Miles will almost never roll off at 1:1, and you cant calculate it like that.
I charged the car last week and drove roughly 50 miles when the battery was down to 34% so my calculation was that (roughly) 50% of the battery was used to travel 50 miles.
I thought that was a numbers guy but obviously I don't understand Tesla numbers!
How am I suppose to calculate mileage being that I am getting (roughly) 50 miles per charge which is no where near the guesstimated "Range: 303 to 330" for a 2022 Model Y and yes, I have a 2021 Model Y but that shouldn't make that much of a difference.

If you started in cold weather, the car is using energy to warm the battery as well as warm the car. Throw in a hill, or a slick surface, and you can use more than the expected miles on short errands. If the car is plugged in, you can use the app to warm the climate in advance, which also warms the battery before you unplug it.

Charging to ~85% is ok for daily driving, even a bit less if you don't do much daily driving, so ~70%.

Always precondition while plugged in for 5 to 15 minutes (depending on the temperature). The Tesla app will notify you when the passenger cabin has reached your preferred temperature.

Short trips are the least efficient, so don't estimate range based on local driving.

A better estimate would be to drive for 30 miles on the highway (15 one way and 15 the other) then note the Wh/mi figure on the Trips screen for this trip. Don't be surprised if you drive at 70 MPH, with the climate control set to 72F or so if the Wh/mi result is over 300 Wh/mi (typical for winter temperatures in many parts of the US).

Don't be concerned about charging to 90% or even 100% for a road trip.

You can use A Better Route Planner (ABRP) on your phone or on the web to plan charging stops on your road trips.

Thank y'all for your post.
The temperature has been surprisingly warm, in the high 70s so warming the car should not be an issue and yes, most of my trips are short trips and I try to avoid highways during rush hour.
I don't understand "Always precondition while plugged in for 5 to 15 minutes (depending on the temperature). The Tesla app will notify you when the passenger cabin has reached your preferred temperature" means?
As I mentioned the temperature has been relatively warm and I haven't "knowingly" been using the AC but the car seems to do things that I would normally not do i.e. like turn on the heat which I never do, provide me with directions to my apartment when I start the car, .......), so you never know
But I believe that you are telling me that my battery is not defected so I'll do a little more testing when I get a chance.
Thank you again for your help
Bob

I don't understand "Always precondition while plugged in for 5 to 15 minutes
Before exiting the Tesla vehicle set the Climate Control to Auto and your preferred comfort temperature. To precondition the Tesla vehicle turn on the Climate Control using the Tesla app shortly before you plan to leave. (Open the Tesla app and tap the fan icon or go to the Climate Control settings.) This will initiate preconditioning. Preconditioning will warm up (or cool down) the passenger cabin to your preferred temperature. In colder temperatures preconditioning can also automatically warm the battery pack.

You can precondition the Tesla vehicle whether or not the Tesla vehicle is plugged in as long as the battery state of charge is at least 20%. If plugged in while preconditioning the battery will be recharged even as power is being used for the preconditioning. In moderate temperatures preconditioning for 5 minutes may be sufficient, rarely more than 15 minutes unless the outside air temperature is below freezing. The Tesla app will notify you when the desired cabin temperature has been reached. With the latest version of the Tesla app you can now respond to the notification that the desired temperature has been reached and turn off the climate control if you are not yet ready to start driving. This would save a little energy if you are not ready to leave, start driving right away. If you don't start to drive then preconditioning will turn off after a time.

No problem. If you don't precondition when the Tesla vehicle senses the battery pack is cold you won't have regenerative braking until the battery starts to warm from driving. Preconditioning can restore at least partial regenerative braking for your drive. In summer preconditioning will cool down the passenger cabin in ~7 minutes. You could also open the windows (via the Tesla app) to ventilate the passenger cabin. Once you start using preconditioning you appreciate the comfort this allows. (Preconditioning will typically use ~1 to 2% of the battery charge if you precondition when not plugged in. If you charge at 240V/32A or higher power while preconditioning the battery charge will be maintained. Lower power charging, i.e. Level 1 (120V/12A) charging would require some additional time for charging to replenish the battery after preconditioning.

Last edited:
Thank you again for the additional information canoe.
Also, having you had an issues with (last months) update of the display app?
At least a dozen times my screen goes completely blank for maybe a minute or 2 then comes back on and this may happen a few times during a trip.
Not only do I not see the cars "coming toward me and/or that are behind me, but the map shuts down which is very discomforting if I am in so if I am in an unfamiliar location and don't know where to go.
Thank you again for your help canoe
Bob

Thank you again for the additional information canoe.
Also, having you had an issues with (last months) update of the display app?
At least a dozen times my screen goes completely blank for maybe a minute or 2 then comes back on and this may happen a few times during a trip.
Not only do I not see the cars "coming toward me and/or that are behind me, but the map shuts down which is very discomforting if I am in so if I am in an unfamiliar location and don't know where to go.
Thank you again for your help canoe
Bob
You can try rebooting the system. Park the Tesla and press and hold the left and right scroll wheels for 10 seconds. The Tesla will reboot. As far as the Navigation system shutting down the GPS signal may have been blocked. The satellite imagery requires a cell phone signal. If you were out of range of cell service then you would not have the satellite imagery or traffic updates, not sure about the basic map functions. With Google Maps (on your phone) you can download a regional map to the phone if you know in advance that you will be traveling in an area with limited cell service.

What is the energy consumption number (yhe kWh/Mi number) displayed by the car on your trip displays? I think the most relevant one would be the "current trip" consumption. For instance when you drive 2.8Mi and consumed 4% of the battery, what's the kWh/Mi consumption? If it is consistently abnormally high trip after trip, maybe there's an issue.

Mileage sucks. Selling my two tesla model ys for this very reason just two months after purchase. Long range my a$$.

Feel ripped off and quality of build and bumpy ride are unacceptable for a vehicle of this price. Got a Rav4 hybrid for 2/3 of the price and get real 550 miles per tank ($30 tank). I recommend you do the same.
And don't even get me started on the "don't charge your car to 100%" crap. Means you already have less range from the get go. Imagine someone telling you to charge your phone to 90% and then the estimated 12 hours or use turned out to be 7 hours. Returning for sure.

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec and DanDi58
Mileage sucks. Selling my two tesla model ys for this very reason just two months after purchase. Long range my a$$.

Feel ripped off and quality of build and bumpy ride are unacceptable for a vehicle of this price. Got a Rav4 hybrid for 2/3 of the price and get real 550 miles per tank ($30 tank). I recommend you do the same.
Gas is only 2$ in FL? Enjoy your Rav sorry to see you go. Bye

@boblinkent Switch your display to show battery % vs miles. That is a much better indicator of the energy actually available in the battery. As you drive the car more, you'll find you worry less about how many miles your range is, since you can charge it up every night (assuming you have charging capability at your home). And road trips aren't an issue since the car will tell you when you need to stop and charge.

And don't even get me started on the "don't charge your car to 100%" crap. Means you already have less range from the get go. Imagine someone telling you to charge your phone to 90% and then the estimated 12 hours or use turned out to be 7 hours. Returning for sure.

Very nice of him to join today just to share this news. 😂🤣😂

Thanks Dan for advising me to "Switch <my> display to show battery % vs miles".
Is there documentation or a YouTube how to do this
Thank you Dan
Bob
Hi, Bob, just touch the 'miles' number next to the battery icon on the car's screen to toggle between % and miles. And if you haven't done so, really take a little time to look at the Owner's Manual. You can access it easily via this link - Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla - or through the Service menu in the car. It's really important to understand the technology that is in this car.

Reactions: Johnny Vector