Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mileage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plugin hybrid vehicles have advantages when taking road trips. I'm sorry GM never brought the 3rd generation Chevrolet Volt to the US and only sell this vehicle in China.

Ford, Nissan, Porsche, Audi, and Mercedes are unable to match Telsa's Supercharger network in distribution or capabilities. If you are going to take an EV road trip over 100 miles it would be best to do so in a Tesla.

Plugin hybrid vehicles have advantages when taking road trips. I'm sorry GM never brought the 3rd generation Chevrolet Volt to the US and only sell this vehicle in China.
Well, I guess, if you're willing to use the gas engine and pay those prices. I personally don't like the idea of having to use 2 different fuels or the complexity of hybrids. But I guess they are better than ICE only.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Well, I guess, if you're willing to use the gas engine and pay those prices. I personally don't like the idea of having to use 2 different fuels or the complexity of hybrids. But I guess they are better than ICE only.
As a person that has had 3 hybrids and 2 teslas I can tell you the hybrids are better and I do not actually spend more money. My Tesla costs $18 to charge at the super charger and gives me a miserable 250 miles per charge approximately. My rav4 hybrid (current hybrid I own) gives me 550 miles for $30 with current prices. No need to plug in (not a plug in hybrid), and no need to spend an hour of my day sitting looking at my phone while my car charges.

Thank you again for your help Dan alone with everyone else responding to my request for help.
I have identified Dan because he wrote "And if you haven't done so, really take a little time to look at the Owner's Manual" which I would have also suggested if I was his place.
Let me give you a little background on myself, I am probably older than most of your grandparents and maybe even great-grandparents and have used completers for >40 years.
The reason that I mention this is my memory is not what it used to be and it wasn't that great to start off with.
The reason that I purchased the model Y was not that I wanted a new toy and the latest technology but because I wanted the safety features that Tesla offered because my driving (reflexes) and like the rest of me, not what they use to be.
So reading the manual might be helpful but not to me because my memory is shot so I use the manual or YouTube or this forum to help me understand how to "do things" and yes, reading the manual would be nice but unfortunately I won't remember what I read so I use the manual to look up specific things not for a general overview.
So if you guys don't mind, I would appreciate your help with you what you probably consider stupid questions (which I usually have plenty of)
Bob

I feel you, Bob, my memory isn't what it was either. That's why it's nice to have access to the OM on my computer, where I can quickly access it. But there are a lot of hints and tips that are not in it. But welcome to Tesla and the forum!

As a person that has had 3 hybrids and 2 teslas I can tell you the hybrids are better and I do not actually spend more money. My Tesla costs $18 to charge at the super charger and gives me a miserable 250 miles per charge approximately. My rav4 hybrid (current hybrid I own) gives me 550 miles for $30 with current prices. No need to plug in (not a plug in hybrid), and no need to spend an hour of my day sitting looking at my phone while my car charges.
You joined the forum just to tell us that, did you?

You who have two Teslas and no at-home charging?

You who thinks it takes an hour to charge a Tesla?

You who finds it a "need" to plug in a cord?

Go back to writing propaganda about Ukraine, Sergei.

You joined the forum just to tell us that, did you?

You who have two Teslas and no at-home charging?

You who thinks it takes an hour to charge a Tesla?

You who finds it a "need" to plug in a cord?

Go back to writing propaganda about Ukraine, Sergei.
lol. Plus he is able to fill a 14.5 gallon tank for $30! Must be the personal refinery he has to make gas below $2. If I had those fuel costs I would go get a HumV

Hi, Bob, just touch the 'miles' number next to the battery icon on the car's screen to toggle between % and miles. And if you haven't done so, really take a little time to look at the Owner's Manual. You can access it easily via this link - Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla - or through the Service menu in the car. It's really important to understand the technology that is in this car.
Hey Dan, I did "Switch <my> display to show battery % vs miles" which I liked but apparently "battery %" is the default setting so when I restart the vehicle, that's what it shows and I need to manually change it to miles.
Can I override the setting to be DEFAULT miles (not % battery and if I want to view % battery, I manually change the setting from miles to % battery?
Thank you
Bob

Hey Dan, I did "Switch <my> display to show battery % vs miles" which I liked but apparently "battery %" is the default setting so when I restart the vehicle, that's what it shows and I need to manually change it to miles.
Can I override the setting to be DEFAULT miles (not % battery and if I want to view % battery, I manually change the setting from miles to % battery?
Thank you
Bob
If you click Controls > Display you should be able to select one or the other as the default. 'Controls' being the picture of the car in the lower left corner of the screen.

Just want to add my 2 cents worth here. It's not hard to match or beat the EPA estimate on Tesla's. If you flog your Tesla in the name of fun (spirited driving?) then all bets are off - you'll get poor efficiency and wear it out faster. Hybridfran is in flat, warm Florida where EVs thrive and good efficiency is easy to get . Drive gently and your car will go further and last longer. I'm in hilly Asheville, NC and over 16,000 miles I've averaged 233Wh/m just by not being in such rush all the time.
IMG_4201.jpeg

Just want to add my 2 cents worth here. It's not hard to match or beat the EPA estimate on Tesla's. If you flog your Tesla in the name of fun (spirited driving?) then all bets are off - you'll get poor efficiency and wear it out faster. Hybridfran is in flat, warm Florida where EVs thrive and good efficiency is easy to get . Drive gently and your car will go further and last longer. I'm in hilly Asheville, NC and over 16,000 miles I've averaged 233Wh/m just by not being in such rush all the time.View attachment 778727
Do you use the Climate Control?

As the person that started this thread, to answer Canoes question do you use Climate Control, I unknowing had until I found out the default setting was for Climate Control to be ON.
I know use voice commands before I start the car and say "Disable Climate Control", then put my safety belt on and start the car.
BTW, can I set the default for Climate Control to OFF.
In cold weather I never use heat because I have a jacket on to keep me warm and don't want to get too hot because I eventually am going have to get out of the car and face the cold weather.
In the summer, if it is not too hot, I'll open the window(s) and if it's above 76-78, I'll put the AC on and would prefer to do all these setting /adjustments myself instead of having the preprogramed.
Thank you again for your help guys
Bob

Yeah miles aren't really a good indicator of range

Leave it in percent and get comfortable knowing how far you can go. For example, after just few days, you'll know that "hey it takes me 15% one way to get to work", so now you know for work driving, leave at the very least 40% to account for a daily commute + random errand.

@boblinkent Switch your display to show battery % vs miles. That is a much better indicator of the energy actually available in the battery.
No, this is objectively false. With a percentage display, you are seeing percentage of …. what? Do you know how many usable kWh are in your battery at full charge? I don’t think so. Plus, even if you did, this number changes over time as the battery degrades. So how does knowing a percentage of an unknown value translate to “energy available“ (your words)?

Conversely, mileage display is directly proportional to energy. No, one rated mile (which has nothing to do with environmental conditions nor how the car is driven) does not directly indicate how many real world miles you will get . But it does tell you energy available. Just multiply rated miles times the EPA factor for your car (2021 Y LR is 270wh/mile IIRC) and that is how much energy is available. Simple.

When you switch to percentage, you are deliberately throwing out information (energy available).