Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Miles at 100% charge (P3D Long Range) -- 282 miles available.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my car for about 8 months now, 6k miles on it. Charge to 85% each day. I've charged to 100% 3 times (including today). I've supercharged only twice. San Diego so never seen temperature lower than 50 degrees.

So I just charged to 100% and it only shows 282 miles on it. Within 10 minutes to 100% charge complete, it now only shows 280 miles available. This is 90% of what it should be. Is this a battery balancing issue or some sort of degradation?

What does your car show for 100% charge? Should i be concerned?

Drain it down to under 15% and then charge it again to 100%. If you don’t get any gain, take it to the SC. I’m believe I heard they had a bulletin on some vehicle batteries from last summer.

I've had my car for about 8 months now, 6k miles on it. Charge to 85% each day. I've charged to 100% 3 times (including today). I've supercharged only twice. San Diego so never seen temperature lower than 50 degrees.

So I just charged to 100% and it only shows 282 miles on it. Within 10 minutes to 100% charge complete, it now only shows 280 miles available. This is 90% of what it should be. Is this a battery balancing issue or some sort of degradation?

Took delivery of my P3D in August 2018, and have ~17k miles On it.

I recently did a 100% range charge, and it showed 300 miles on it, and still needed another 10 minutes on a 7kw charger. What’s a bit weird is that it already showed the battery percentage at 100%, so not sure how many more miles it would have gotten.

@ybbor
Mine isn't as bad, but my 100% is down to 295. (Was down to 297 within the first 3 months)
August 2018 delivery, 7910 miles. Charge to 90% daily per Tesla, only supercharged on a couple of trips, and to 100% a handful of times.

I've asked the service center to run diagnostics a couple of times, and each time they say everything checks out normal. You can call their number, select option 2, and request a capacity test.

What is your lifetime Wh/mi?

Calibration every once in a while is healthy and normal

Short explanation: Batteries charge state is basically what voltage they are at. It's not quite linear, but as long as you can measure voltage you can get an accurate reading. The sensor that measures this voltage loses it's reference naturally over time and the only way to get that back is to bring it down to another threshold where it can re-calibrate. Basically bring the batteries voltage down closer to 3.0V instead of the max 4.1V per cell. Done.

Full explanation: BU-603: How to Calibrate a “Smart” Battery – Battery University

• Informative
Reactions: Tron 3
Honestly, I would prefer to have the car calculate estimated mileage available based on my driving behavior instead of providing a theoretical distance based on average driving behavior.

Then there could be a battery health meter elsewhere which provides an accurate measure of health.

Reactions: Lobstahz and alexGS
Honestly, I would prefer to have the car calculate estimated mileage available based on my driving behavior instead of providing a theoretical distance based on average driving behavior.

Then there could be a battery health meter elsewhere which provides an accurate measure of health.

In detailed terms, how do you do this? Coulomb counting? My point being what you're saying sounds nice, but is almost impossible to get as accurate as just reading the voltage

Took deliver August 28'th 2018.

Given your delivery date your battery may be one of the ones covered by this TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10148848-9999.pdf (Affected Model 3 vehicles built between approximately May 7, 2018 and August 25, 2018.)

I'm in the same boat. My 100% calculates to 292-295miles. Coincidentally, I took delivery the same day August 28th, 2018. I have a Tesla charger at home that I have consistently charged the M3LR to 80%. I have charged to 100% 3-4 times for road trips, and supercharged only on those trips. I have recently charged to 90+% to try to recalibrate but it hasn't had an effect yet. I will try a couple more 15% to 95% cycles to see if it changes at all. Just a little concerning that it has 10% loss (using 325 mi as the baseline) after 13K miles. I understand 5% battery loss is normal in the first year I just don't want it to keep going without at least seeing if there is a possible issue. Lifetime efficiency is 221Wh/mi.