Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Miles / kWh window on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a little window in the bottom left of the screen that is labled 'Trip A'. It shows mileage and watt hour consumption since 'Trip A reset' . When the car is NOT being driven, does this measure include power consumption while parked?

Why is 'wH/mi' so high when the car is first started up, in the range of approx 450 and then lower after driving around town?

Reactions: Transformer
There is a little window in the bottom left of the screen that is labled 'Trip A'. It shows mileage and watt hour consumption since 'Trip A reset' . When the car is NOT being driven, does this measure include power consumption while parked?

Why is 'wH/mi' so high when the car is first started up, in the range of approx 450 and then lower after driving around town?

No, it does not count power used while in park*, only while in a driving mode(Drive, Reverse, or Hold).

*You can get energy spikes immediately after going into drive and driving because of the timing of recording of energy usage by the car. I don't know what the timing is, but for example, if the car logs every second to the Trip meter you could have up to almost a second worth of Parked energy usage get accounted for in your Trip counter. Because this is such a short window of time, it averages down VERY quickly as you drive.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
No, it does not count power used while in park*, only while in a driving mode(Drive, Reverse, or Hold).

*You can get energy spikes immediately after going into drive and driving because of the timing of recording of energy usage by the car. I don't know what the timing is, but for example, if the car logs every second to the Trip meter you could have up to almost a second worth of Parked energy usage get accounted for in your Trip counter. Because this is such a short window of time, it averages down VERY quickly as you drive.

Thanks derotam.

I was wondering about the fan/vent running after i exit my car, even in my garage which has moderate temperature compared to outside. I would prefer not to have that running so much. Would it hurt the car if i disable it?

It is running for a reason, specifically to dry out the A/C system to prevent the dreaded "Smelly A/C". Many ICE vehicles run fans for a bit after turning off the car for the same reason.

It is running for a reason, specifically to dry out the A/C system to prevent the dreaded "Smelly A/C".

That's a great feature, but my fan was running for a while after driving without A/C.

I opened the app and tapped TURN ON CLIMATE then TURN OFF CLIMATE. The fan turned off right away. Maybe it was a coincidence. I'll try it again next time.

Thanks for the info about the ac mildew avoidance. That is important. And i usually turn of the climate anyways. I will make a point of leaving it on during warm weather to dry out the ac. Appreciate peoples' experience and advice.

That's a great feature, but my fan was running for a while after driving without A/C.

I opened the app and tapped TURN ON CLIMATE then TURN OFF CLIMATE. The fan turned off right away. Maybe it was a coincidence. I'll try it again next time.

Were you in manual control or in Auto? Just cause you weren't running the A/C for cool air, if you are in auto the A/C might still be running for de-humidification purposes...even when using the heat.

I leave the AC on (icon highlighted) to keep humidity down but i turn off climate (power icon) when i exit the car. Should i just leave it on and assume the system will shut down appropriately in a short while?

My understanding (please correct me if wrong): When you exit the car the climate turns "off" in the sense of no longer heating/cooling/circulating air, regardless of that power button, and automatically runs a fan to dry the A/C coils as long as needed, and may run fans automatically to manage battery temperature as needed. The app is the only way to start/stop climate control for an unoccupied the car, and I'm chalking up the case with the fan running in the garage as a bug.

Reactions: GtiMart