Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Miles on delivery >> miles on purchase agreement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to purchase a MYP before the end of the year to take advantage of the year-end perks. The only way to assure delivery before 2021 was to buy a demonstrator vehicle. My Tesla agent found a nice car with my exact specifications and only 343 miles (and a discounted price because of those miles).

The car was delivered to my driveway from the local delivery center and I found it waiting when I got home. I logged on, accepted delivery, and it was only then that I saw the odometer reading of 496 miles.

I called the delivery center to complain, and the agent I spoke with told me that because I had opted for home delivery, there were miles accumulated from that drive. The problem with that explanation is that my delivery center is only 30 miles away. He then suggested that the car was a demo car and “was probably continued to be used as a demo car until it was delivered to me.” I argued that once Tesla and I had finalized the purchase agreement and they had taken my payment in full, it became my car and shouldn’t have been used at all. He didn’t seem to care. I then asked for an additional discount now that the car had almost half again as many miles as the purchase agreement had stated, but he said that the discount I had already gotten was for the mileage that was on the car. I argued that the discount was for 343 miles, not 496, but he didn’t seem care about this either. Finally, I asked for more Supercharging miles on my existing Model 3, but he said that they couldn’t change the referral miles once awarded.

I asked to get a manager involved, and he came back with an offer of $100 credit at the Tesla store. By this point, I was so frustrated, and figuring this was better than nothing, I accepted. He said the manager would process this and send me an email with the voucher.

That was three days ago, and I still have not received the voucher. Talk about adding insult to injury!

Am I alone on this, or have others had unreasonable excess miles on delivery?

Not much difference in demo vehicle pricing between 496mi. and 393mi.
How much do you think would be appropriate to further discount the car for you.
Realizing, of course, that there will be some additional miles on the car to get it driven to you at your home for delivery.

From your post it sounds like Tesla was going a bit out of their way to get this car delivered to you prior to EOY. Will gain you bonus of 3 Months of free Supercharging plus 3 Months of Free Full Self Driving.

I'm not complaining about the actual miles. I would have taken the car with 343 or 496 miles on it. The difference in miles is not significant, but that's not my point.

And to be clear, I'm very happy with the car and the perks I got with having the delivery right at the end of the year.

My point is the fact that I had agreed to one thing, and Tesla did something else. I was told that the car was in Rancho Cucamonga (I'm in San Diego) and that it would be trucked down to me. That's the way they delivered my Model 3 to me last year--on a truck to the local delivery center. I would be totally fine with them driving it to me for delivery at my house from the LOCAL delivery center.

But by far my biggest complaint is with the agent I spoke with, in that he didn't have any issue with telling me that total strangers drove my car after I bought it. (And as an aside, I have a pretty good idea of how some drivers would test drive a Performance Model Y, especially if they knew it was not one they were going to buy.) Further, he wasn't willing to do anything to make me happy, even things that would have cost Tesla practically nothing, like additional supercharging miles.

I realize customer service is not Tesla's strongest virtue, but I would have expected at least an "I'm sorry" from the customer service rep. I didn't get even that.

Bottom line, I wanted to relate my whole delivery experience, but I really don't want to make too big a deal out of this. I'm mainly curious if others have had a whole bunch of unexpected "delivery miles" appear on their cars when they accepted delivery.

Sounds like they had someone drive your car to your home from Rancho Cucamonga. Perhaps that was the only way they could get you delivered prior to EOY.

Things are crazy busy for Tesla at the EOY. Then simply do not have enough time for the niceties but are in serious "Get it done" mode.

I had a similar phone call from a Tesla rep offering me a demo MYP. This time the car had 4000 plus miles on it. This is my first EV and I just couldn’t understand how nonchalantly the Tesla rep was on the phone. I felt like he was doing me a favor. This to me is a huge hole in Tesla’s armor. You can’t last long at the top with service like this. It’s inevitable, there will be competition and if they don’t clean up the smog attitude, they will eventually pay... eventually. I refused the offer, I will rather wait.

And I am VERY appreciative that Tesla was able to deliver my car before year end especially in light of how crazy it is for them right now. In fact, if the sales rep had told me it would have to be driven to me from Rancho Cucamonga to get to me by the end of the year, I would have readily agreed and that would have been it. But he assured me it would be trucked to San Diego, so I wasn’t expecting an extra 150 miles on the odometer. Again, I have no issues with how they delivered it to me. I just wish they hadn’t told me one thing and done another. But I also understand how confusion and miscommunication can happen when multiple people and locations are involved.

What I DON’T appreciate is the condescending attitude of the customer service rep when I called with what I believed to be a legitimate complaint. And for him to suggest that Tesla was still using my car as a demo vehicle after I had paid for it speaks volumes about his lack of concern for me as a customer, his unwillingness to find out the real reason for the extra miles (and I am now fairly certain that they represent the distance from Tesla Rancho Cucamonga to my house), and his reluctance to take any responsibility for resolving my issue. And to top it off, I still do not have the promised $100 voucher!

I will chalk this up to misunderstandings, miscommunications, and invalid assumptions. Mainly I wanted to get other people’s opinions, and now I have them.

Thanks for listening!