Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Miles you expect to obtain from friends, destination chargers, etc. but not from Tesla Superchargers

Miles you expect to obtain from friends, destination chargers, WCs & non-Superchargers in next year?

• 200-400 miles

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • 401-600 miles

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • 601-800 miles

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • 801-1000 miles

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • 1001-1200 miles

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • 1201-1500 miles

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • 1501-1800 miles

• 1801-2100 miles

• 2101 miles and higher

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • None of the above

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From Perry SC to Ardmore SC this week. 58.8 mph average speed. Includes stop and go traffic in Oklahoma City.
View attachment 256070
Lol! that same stretch is where I burned out the battery contactor on my 70D, going a WHEEEEE! bit faster than the limit.
I'm picturing that when you are driving, you have a couple of these guys helping smooth the way. ;)

I am mending my lead-foot ways though.
curling_f.jpg

I chose the "2101 miles and higher" since I surely exceeded that this year and likely will next year. Most of that is opportunity charging. Where I live EVs are rare, so I use the public charge stations whenever I can so that people can see them being used. For example, I'll plug-in and then walk four to seven blocks — each way — to the grocery store or a mile or more to go to the movie theater. When I had my LEAF it was necessary, especially in winter; with the Tesla it is purely discretionary. I get some exercise and the charge station gets used (they were all 80% paid for by a state grant fund that is, in turn, paid for by a registration fee charged to plug-in cars). If, someday, the charge stations are mostly full I'll pass on opportunity charging and leave them to those who really need the charge.

The majority of my miles this year came from Supercharging; the nearest Supercharger Station is 98 miles from my home, so it is all on road trips.

I presume that my charging and use pattern is atypical...

stay with relatives?
how many of your relatives have an l2 charger?
Only one (my sister who drives a Model S) but most of them have a 240v outlet that I have used at one time or another. But I never wait for it to charge. That's where our behavior is mostly the same. Your answer to the poll is probably on the low end. That doesn't make this discussion "an exercise in nonsense." I think what you meant was that L2 charging away from home is nonsense if you have to wait for it, which is mostly true. Or plugging in for short periods of time, or when you don't really need to.

Last edited:
Only one (my sister who drives a Model S) but most of them have a 240v outlet that I have used at one time or another. But I never wait for it to charge. That's where our behavior is mostly the same. Your answer to the poll is probably on the low end. That doesn't make this discussion "an exercise in nonsense." I think what you meant was that L2 charging away from home is nonsense if you have to wait for it, which is mostly true. Or plugging in for short periods of time, or when you don't really need to.
Mostly I agree. However, I had one instance where I plugged into an L2 for a short time and got enough energy to go to the SC that was along the route rather than one where I would have had to backtrack. Saved about an hour of driving. This doesn't happen often, but it's not zero either.

• Informative
Reactions: Missile Toad
@jerry33 , ditto for me. I added ~200 range miles by parking 3/4 mile from my hotel visit, last month, to get a 17MPH charge. And although I burned an hour dropping it off & walking back to it, I saved 1 hour drive time to a SuperCharger in the opposite direction of my next day's travels. And unlike Jerry, who has had 100K miles to see this benefit -- it only took me 12K miles (lifetime mileage on the car) to avoid the backtracking.

My gym has destination chargers. 99.9% of my cars power needs are filled by them, with the bonus of giving me a reason to go work out every day. In October alone so far they have provided me with 560kWh of juice (according to Teslafi). I have no idea how many miles that is, but I’m not complaining.

/edit Lifetime (since they installed the chargers back in January) I’ve gotten almost 2,700kWh from them.

Reactions: Missile Toad
My gym has destination chargers. 99.9% of my cars power needs are filled by them, with the bonus of giving me a reason to go work out every day. In October alone so far they have provided me with 560kWh of juice (according to Teslafi). I have no idea how many miles that is, but I’m not complaining.

/edit Lifetime (since they installed the chargers back in January) I’ve gotten almost 2,700kWh from them.
I'm curious, how long are your daily workouts?

I'm curious, how long are your daily workouts?
90 minutes usually, or a little longer. I also have dual chargers and the HPWC's that the gym put in output @80amps.

I should add, I'm one of several Tesla owners at the gym, and all have been very happy with the arraignment. It's not a ton of "savings" but it's a nice perk.

Since the Roadster does not support SuperCharging the destination chargers are a Godsend. They are much better than the typical L2 we find. Even a 110v plug at a B&B can be quite helpful over a weekend.

Agreed.

Better yet, many (though not nearly all) of those Destination Chargers deliver 80Amps, making them anything but "an exercise in nonsense".