TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Military members

Discussion in 'North America -' started by masterjrm, Apr 11, 2012.

1. masterjrm

masterjrm Member

I think it would be interesting to see how many people are currently or were previously in the military. I have seen several posts of people mentioning USAA and have seen a couple about the military. I previously didn't think there would be a lot of military Tesla enthusiasts.

I have been in the Army since 2004 and I am an EOD Team Leader. I am from Sonora CA, I am stationed out of Fort Bragg NC, and I am currently deployed to Afghanistan. I heard about Tesla in early 2009 and put down a reservation for the Model S. I have reservation P564.

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

#2 dsm363, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
    Welcome! I have no military background but have USAA through a family member. Have a brother who was in the Navy for 5 years though. USAA is great for insurance.

Thanks for everything you and your team do and stay safe. Take care.

3. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Yep I have both of my parents to thank for my USAA membership. But also not a member. My brother is a member on his own account but he only spend 2 years at a military academy before he decided the military wasn't for him.

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#4 TEG, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
    promo2.jpg

Attached Files:

5. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Welcome to the forum (and congrats on your Model S reservation).

6. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Congrats!!

Thank you for your service!!

7. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Former USAF Captain here...hoping USAA has great rates on the Model S!

8. kvietor

kvietor Model S S280 VIN 168

CW4 Army (ret). 21 years flying helicopters and King Airs.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

#9 efusco, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
    10 yrs army national guard & 2 yrs active duty w/public health service (uniformed)-O3. (have been out of any uniformed services for about 12 years now)
    And curious about USAAs rates too

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3smp3b
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

#10 dsm363, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
    USAA may not have the absolute lowest rates but I think they are fairly competitive. I've also never dealt with a better bank/insurance company. You always get someone on the phone literally within one to two minutes and they always seem to do a good job. I haven't done a rigorous price comparison for insurance rates but I'd highly recommend USAA.

11. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I agree with the customer service aspect. You always get a person and they seem to be native English speakers.

I switched from Wells Fargo (after they bought Wachovia, and switched it in GA) to USAA. The deciding factor was searching twitter for USAA and about 95% of the comments were positive. When you search for BoA, or WellsFargo, you get about 95% negative comments.

Their auto policy for me is about $3 less every 6 months than GEICO, but changing would be too much hassle for just $3.

12. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I'm sure one could find some cut rate insurer that is cheaper, but their services has always been exemplary and their rates always competitive (usually better than) the major insurers. And I fully agree, their banking, insurance and other services are just outstanding. It's a very well managed company top to bottom.

13. kvietor

kvietor Model S S280 VIN 168

I've had both GEICO and USAA. Auto rates are very comparable but since my home is insured with USAA I have elected to keep them for my auto insurance. The last time I asked for a quote for the Model S, the agent was familiar with Tesla and gave me a quote $10/month more than what I was paying for my 2002 Jetta. USAA also has a subscriber savings account and once a year will add to that account a percentage based on profits for the year. In addition, I also get a check once a year. Sort of like profit sharing. When you take all that into account, No other insurer can touch them.

14. Nvbob

Nvbob Roadster 1256

TEG, you found my plate! :cool:

Navy HM1 retired after 20 years.

NVTEZLA.jpg

15. Jonathan Hewitt

Jonathan Hewitt Active Member

I'm a submarine guy currently on shore duty. USNA '08. Hopefully I'll be a Tesla owner in the next year or two.

16. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

Former Navy Flight Surgeon assigned to the Marine Corps. Assigned to CH-46 and F/A-18D squadrons.

17. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

U.S. Army retired in 1993 after 22 years of active service. Hope to be a proud Tesla owner by the end of November. This waiting is testing my patience.

18. Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith Member

USAF retired (2012) - Space and Missile operatior (ie: NCC) , along with a bunch of procurement (satellites and stuff).

Huge fan of USAA, I have had them over 21 years for car/home/property insurance and a bunch of banking.

19. jenga

jenga Member

16 years so far, Active Duty Navy. Model S owner since Dec. 2012. Chipper, I'll be visiting Chattanooga over the holidays, we should meet up and swap stories if you're in town!

20. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

I love USAA!!!!!!!!