Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Milk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious. What makes a milk spill so difficult to clean from a car?

From experience it's the fact that the milk soaks in to the seat foam where it quickly goes sour and smells foul.
This was in a car with perforated leather though, in the Tesla I'd imagine a good soak up and wipe down would protect you from the worst of it?

In the perforated leather world we tried a number of things and what worked in the end was a healthy application of baking soda, brushed in to the perforations and left for two days before vacuuming up.
I hope you managed to get it off the surfaces, or that it only soaked in to carpets. If that's the case I'm sure you can get rid of it with a combination of a wet'n'dry vacuum and some baking soda.

Model 3 is exactly 2 weeks old and has had a pint of milk spilled in it. Ffs

Welcome ideas to clean it. Apart from getting a new car.

many thanks
Get it immediately to a high quality, reputable car valet person. You can't clean this properly yourself.
Model 3 is exactly 2 weeks old and has had a pint of milk spilled in it. Ffs

Welcome ideas to clean it. Apart from getting a new car.

many thanks

I presume you have patted the area to remove most of the milk? Never rub as this makes the milk go deeper into the fibers.

Get some white vinegar in a spray bottle and mix it one part vinegar to four parts water. Soak the area and leave it for 5 hours with the windows open. After 5 hours pat it dry with a clean microfiber cloth. Smell the area and if you can still smell it then you can try massaging baking soda into the area with a brush. Only do this once the area is dry. Leave it over night then hoover it up.

If that doesn’t work then either an enzyme cleaner will be needed or a trip to a professional valeter/detailer.

Reactions: Wizzwizz and Yev000
Had it happen to me once and I asked the same question. The answer I got from a work colleague was to mop it out and clean the area using Zoflora Concentrated Disinfectant. It did a brilliant job and no lingering rancid milk smell. It is very powerful so a diluted mix should suffice. It can be bought at most supermarkets or Robert Dyas. I used "Summer Breeze" fragrance and was converted from that day on. :cool:

thumbnail_IMG_0239[1].jpg

Just one more...had milk spilled in the boot of my 3 months brand new A6 Avant, went under the rear seats and the foam soaked it up. Smelled horrid for.2 weeks..until somebody suggested to put freshly ground coffee in open containers and leave for a few days. The smell of coffee overran the rancid smell quite quickly