TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Millennials Opt For Used Tesla Model S

Discussion in 'News' started by tree, Jul 29, 2015.

1. tree

tree Member

http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/07/millennials-tesla-model-s/

A new study from Edmunds.com shows 10% of preowned Tesla car buyers are millennials, 6% of that same group are new Tesla buyers. The study also indicated 36% of those who purchased used Tesla Model S sedans earned under $100,000. According to another report from IHS Automotive, millennials appreciate the reliability of Tesla cars.

2. spentan

spentan Active Member

Am I a millenial?

Born in 1988,

Moved from Australia to USA to drive a Tesla (srs)

and have owned and sold 2 P85s, Own a P85D, and Own a business with 2 P85s.

All thanks to a 100k investment I made back in 2012 in TSLA. :)

3. Armadillos

Armadillos Member

Millenials are born from 1980 to 1990s...

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

5. Ohm Alone

Ohm Alone Member

Cooler...and better. Better always works for me, and I'm a lot older.

6. Vgsllc1

Vgsllc1 Member

Yes indeed, we love Model S

7. boofagle

boofagle Member

I'm a 1986 millennial. I would love a Tesla. Even used ones are too pricy for me so right now I'm just an enthusiast. Last year when gas was super expensive I looked for a way to save some money. I had a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and the gas expenses were sucking my bank account dry. I searched around for an alternative but there was nothing that was really going to help elevate the gas expenses enough to make me trade in my beloved jeep...that is until I found a used Volt. It was a 2012 with 24,000 mostly gas miles, for around $20k. Much less than a new one. It could get me too and from work without using gas. It was the perfect car for my needs. Now I can proudly say that I don't remember when I had to fill up last and I feel much better about driving it around than my gas guzzling jeep, something I never thought of until I switched to electric. I'm even starting to research solar for my house. It's changed my mind about driving and about the impact we have on the environment but since I can't afford a Tesla it's the next best thing. I feel like more millennials will not only buy used Tesla's but all used electrics.

8. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Makes sense to me. The older you are, the more disposable income you generally have. Younger folks will have a harder time affording a Model S, and will look at used ones to bring the cost down. That's why I'm looking at used ones. Born in 1975. In a few more years, some additional school loans and such drop off and at that point I would just buy new.

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Great story. Though some deride it, I think the volt is a great car and gateway drug

10. nathanharman

nathanharman Member

My anecdotal experience is that millennials are much more likely to know about the Model S than the older folks like myself...

11. ModelSBD

ModelSBD Member

I leased a Volt back in 2012. That was a first "EV" car I drove. I loved the technology, and like you, I was able to get to work, plug in there (on a 110v), and get back home all on electric. After being sold on EV driving within the first month of leasing the Volt, I signed up for a test drive at a local Tesla event held near me and was sold. Ever since, I've been saving like crazy and now I'm proud to say I am "patiently" waiting for my 70D to be delivered (scheduled for late September!!). Should definitely be well worth the wait. FYI/BTW, I myself am a millennial ('84) and in that 36% below $100k individual income (granted, I am married to a clinical therapist who's doing ok). Moral of the story, SAVE for a generous down payment! (shoulda invested in TSLA back in 2012...). After the tax breaks and gas savings, I convinced myself the 70D is definitely worth the price tag.

12. Schmidty

Schmidty Member

Born in 1979, so just on the edge of being a Millennial. I paid off my student loans not too long ago and have no debt besides my mortgage. Have a great job that pays very well. Would love a new Model S but it's still outside of what I feel is a comfortable car payment. So last week I purchased a CPO. I would think a lot of Millenials are still paying off college loans and other debt...perhaps a large reason why a lot of young people choose to move back in with their parents after college. I believe a car in the 30-40K is more realistic, but for those that save their money wisely I think a CPO is a possibility. :)