TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Million mile Battery... Oh HELL NO!

Discussion in 'Cybertruck: Battery & Charging' started by lafrisbee, Dec 30, 2019.

1. lafrisbee

lafrisbee Active Member

I am 63 damn years old. I started driving cars before you even needed to know how to hotwire one because everyone left their keys in the ignition if they did not want to have to bother looking for them, or the "careful people" put the keys on the floorboards. Either way when you are 12 yrs old you and a buddy can push a car down the street before you start it, and turn it off, and almost coast back into the spot you "borrowed it" from...
    And in the 50 years since I have been driving I haven't driven a half-a-million miles..and now in my old age all these younger whipper-snappers get a car that can go long after they are dead too?
    Well back to me... My wore-out 63 year ol' ass is going to buy a "truck" that has a million mile battery, but I am only gonna live to "drive" a couple of hundred thousand more?
    "ain't life a bitch"

• Funny x 8
    • Love x 1
  2. Tessaract

Tessaract Member

May you get unlucky and be required to drive every one of those million!

• Like x 5
  3. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

My wife and I were shopping the other day and she was admiring a $1000 area rug for our music room. “It’s high quality wool,” she said, “it will last forever.” I replied, “But I’m certainly not going to last forever. Why do I need a $1000 rug?!?!”

• Like x 2
  4. Puddles

Puddles Member

Ah but you see, Elon’s plan for world domination is one where his cars are not sold, but rented. And as soon as you’ve been dropped off, the car will either go charge itself, or pick up someone else. In this way, 1M miles is not so far fetched.

• Like x 1
  5. lafrisbee

lafrisbee Active Member

So he's selling rentals?

6. Puddles

Puddles Member

As I understand it, he's going to be selling rides, not cars. Fortunately this will probably happen in Elon Time. I will be getting around in my Jazzy, and being tended to by a barely legal nurse, by then.

• Like x 1
  7. lafrisbee

lafrisbee Active Member

Barely legal in what country?

• Love x 1
  8. lafrisbee

lafrisbee Active Member

OK Back to the real issue... 30 years ago I noticed they started building trucks to last (This mean they'd last until you at least got through paying for them.) It seems in this century they've made em last for like 150,000 miles if you treat em right.
    And now stainless steel with a 1,000,000 mile battery?
    You know "unbelievable" has so many meanings.... this is making me think back to when I was 30 yrs old and made my first phone call from a friend's Father's car. It should have been me being all cool and *sugar* because I was calling a friend to ask him, "What name did you use when you reserved the keg?" Instead the first thing out of my mouth was , "GUESS WHERE I AM CALLING YOU FROM!!!?
    When I am actually driving this vehicle for the first time I think it is going to be like that.
    This *sugar* doesn't seem real.

• Like x 1
  9. Phlier

Phlier Bluebird

I find myself *really* wanting to be there when you take delivery of your Cybertruck. :)

• Funny x 1
  10. lafrisbee

lafrisbee Active Member

Cool, let Bigee E catch a lift with you.

• Like x 1
  11. DMC-81

DMC-81 Member

#11 DMC-81, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    +1 The SS body and the future battery promise was part of the tipping point for me to switch. Cybertruck will be my first EV. I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time... 7, 9 and 14 years for my current cars. So I hope it lasts for many years of service.

Yes, I bought my first cell phone in 1991...the "brick phone". Looking at my daughter's iPhone 11, I chuckle to myself that my first phone only had the "smart" feature to store 10 numbers. Still, it was cool as *sugar* at the time. :)
    I expect to be similarly amazed at the truck.

12. dazedNconfuzed

"Lasts forever" (SS+1M) should have great resale value. You drive it 200,000 miles, straight depreciation means you get about 80% on resale; that it is built to still be in great shape at a million miles means it STILL has another 250,000 to 1,000,000 miles of tolerable. More likely it would just be unpopular vs actually in bad shape.

Contrast ICE vehicles, which are worth pretty much $0 at a quarter-million miles.

The $ might not interest you directly in a couple decades, but your heirs will appreciate it.