Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Million mile motor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, that's true. For now. But as the technology matures and Tesla learns what the points of failure are, we'll see these items get drastically more reliable in the future.

Well, yes, and no. The current parts will undoubtedly get more reliable, but I'm sure they'll be adding or replacing with new parts continuously to keep up with advancement in technology and changing consumer demands. As such, there will always be new and relatively untested parts in cars.

Let's just call your view here unreasonably optimistic. It's a car, it has a service life, that service life is never going to be 500K much less 1m. On average people do not want to keep a car all that long anyway.
Seats rip, carpet wears out, road dirt etches and clouds the windows, the whole car would be replaced piece by piece anyway. Think with your head not Tesla goggles.

Heck those of us with 5+ yo car have had the function of our batteries badly handicapped without explanation.

I think the 1 million mile motor, if achieved, will mostly be useful in future Semis and robotaxis.

I bet there's someone out there that will reach 1mil miles just to say he did. at 3k miles a month, 36k a year.. it'll only take 27 years.
FWIW, I pointed out at automotive reliability and durability testing (which is crickets, oddly):
For the newly designed 2013 Malibu, Chevrolet engineers used about 170 pre-production test cars, driving each one about 45,000 miles per month for 22 months. (The re-designed 2013 Malibu Eco debuted in March.) In total, they put about 1 million miles on the test cars during the pre-production phase.

The Fox News link (yeah yeah, I know, I know) that the above came from has moved to Building the million-mile car.

And, GM isn't exactly known for building the most reliable vehicles...

As for oil/fluid in the drive unit, Oil change affect warranty? has a pointer to the filter, which looks just like an oil filter.

• Disagree
Reactions: SageBrush
I skimmed your post, don't have time to read it all as there seems to be a lot to it. How is a post about a leaf related?
Other automakers seem to test the hell out of their vehicles. You can ignore the first MNL pointer. The 2nd one (Official Tesla Model S thread - Page 270 - My Nissan Leaf Forum) has some comments typed up from Nissan's video.

You noticed my mention of 84K cycle door tests? I've you'd followed the 1st year or so of Model X, you'd see many many folks here on TMC were disastrous results on their Model X doors (e.g. latches, alignment, scuffing, sensor problems, doors that wouldn't open fully or shut, etc.) within the few few months of ownership. If you took a random Model X off the assembly line back then and subjected its doors to an 84K cycle test, I doubt you'd find any that'd pass.

Examples:
Falcon wing scratching and scuffing other parts
Falcon wing scratching and scuffing other parts
Driver side Falcon wing door hinge snapping when opening
2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test - Wrap-Up - search for door under the Maintenance & Repairs section
Model X - Anyone in process or filed Lemon Law ?
Model X Buy Back

Last edited:
Anyone remember that claim? Seems some owners have had to replace motors under 100,000 miles due to drive train problems. Soo, what sort of problems? Bearing failure, spline wear, gear wear, pump failure, etc.?

If you have had to have a motor or drive train replaced, post about it below. Also, if you know the cause of failure, post that too.

Keep on revvin',
Bill
My drive train "was drawing too much power" died at 7k miles. New motor under warranty, followed by new oil pump. Car would not go into drive.

My drive train "was drawing too much power" died at 7k miles. New motor under warranty, followed by new oil pump. Car would not go into drive.
Hard to tell what went wrong here. I don't suppose you have the work order still which might contain more info?

Would be at least interesting to find out if this was electronic (inverter failure) or physical (winding short, internal friction, etc.).