Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Millions of micro chips on windshield, possible to fill them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Not really a problem per se, but after just 10 months of my Model 3 ownership, my windshield is basically blasted by shotgun bird shots, with a million micro chips all around the windshield.

Are there any DIY products out there that fills them? I don't find it a problem since I don't see them while I drive, but it would be nice to see a clean windshield everytime I wash my car. Thanks all.

Hey all,

Not really a problem per se, but after just 10 months of my Model 3 ownership, my windshield is basically blasted by shotgun bird shots, with a million micro chips all around the windshield.

Are there any DIY products out there that fills them? I don't find it a problem since I don't see them while I drive, but it would be nice to see a clean windshield everytime I wash my car. Thanks all.
Did a preacher get a fee?

No, there is little you can do to really improve things short of glass replacement. If you are up to it, you can try to polish the windshield which *might* very incrementally reduce the visibility of the pits, but again won't make a radical difference.

If you choose to polish, you will need at minimum a strong random orbital polisher, Carpro Ceriglass as well as their rayon pad. There are specific directions on how to do this -- it isn't particular hard or complicated but it is a bit of a PITA and messy.

Last edited:
Unfortunately all the glass repair stuff requires deep cracks or a pit large enough to fill. The small stuff is too small to be repaired.

One thing new owners could do is add a film similar to clearbra stuff on the windshield. They make optically clear versions.

I had micro scratches from an abrasive rag or something used by a detailer. It took me hours of work, but it can be fixed with the proper stuff. I used the following:

- Machine polisher (Orbital is recommended for glass, not DA)
- Carpro Rayon Glass polishing pads
- Carpro CeriGlas polish (contains Cerium Oxide which is what you want for polishing glass)

Also, see this video:

• Informative
Reactions: Blu Angel and KenC
Nope. It's an issue with Tesla glass. My 3 windshields were pitted after ~10K miles. My 20+ other cars I have owned have/had much more robust glass.

Example: I owned a 2006 MB E500 with 190K miles. Original windshield replaced at ~165K miles from chips/wear. It took years at that many miles to get pitted to a point where it had a sand-blasted look when driving into the sun.

Reactions: Perscitus
^^ This ^^

As much as I agree with webbah, and the great effort (and right steps) put in to correct glass micro scratches, that will sadly not work for the millions of nicks/pits that these windshields tend to accumulate in a short period of time (as XLR82XS).

The problem is compounded if:
a. doing mostly highway driving
(following closely need not apply anymore given the abysmal state of highways, debris on and off the road)
b. living near oceans, seas, deserts or mountains
c. driving a Model 3 or Y (particularly the 3) because of its low hood line, and giant frontal area of the windshield

My 997 Porsche's windshield was full of pits! It was the worst.

Last weekend I took my P3D on its first "extended" drive (~650 miles total). Unfortunately, I now have some noticeable pits on the windshield (only noticeable when light hits them just right). Oh well.