Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Min percentage of charge at SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

What would you be comfortable with as a min percentage of charge for arrival at a supercharger? With my Leaf I would always have to prepare to have at least a Plan B charger in reach. I am planning a trip to Exeter after the lockdown and ABRP tells me I would get to the a Exeter chargers with about 11%. That would scare the hell out of me with the Leaf, is that okay with a M3SR+?

I would be happy with that, so long as I had a plan B in case consumption was higher than estimated, and then I'd stop for a quick splash n dash. If you keep an eye on the energy graph that will tell you exactly how you are doing against the target.

I don't tend to use ABRB, what does the car say when you input the destination in the nav?

Reactions: ParHunter
There are one or two other rapid chargers on the A303 and M5. If using the A303 you could make a decision as to whether to top up at, say, the Route 303 Instavolt near Honiton, or the Ionity or Instavolt rapids off the M5 near Cullompton if going that way. Might be a useful back up plan to have, just in case.

Reactions: ParHunter
I guess I will need to check at Amesbury chargers. If I am below 50-52% then I will need to charge up there.
Btw. You should try ABRP, best navigator for EVs IMHO. It tends to suggest more but shorter charge stops to minimise journey. Lots of options including waypoints min charge at chargers or destination etc.

Reactions: Dre78
I'm not too worried about SC reliability or estimation accuracy. If range is tight, I will watch the 'energy' graph to check I'm not too far below the estimation line. The one worry is at what state of charge can the BMS perform a recalibration if it has got out of sync.

I've been tending to work with 5% on a SR+ for planning. However, as I pass the last convenient charge option on the way home, I'll be looking for 10% margin (i.e. If I reach Wyboston at 15%, I'll add a couple of kWh since I know it takes 7% to get home from there, and any diversion would be long with limited options for charging).

Hi

What would you be comfortable with as a min percentage of charge for arrival at a supercharger? With my Leaf I would always have to prepare to have at least a Plan B charger in reach. I am planning a trip to Exeter after the lockdown and ABRP tells me I would get to the a Exeter chargers with about 11%. That would scare the hell out of me with the Leaf, is that okay with a M3SR+?

Assuming a Leaf 30, 11% is around 10miles and on an SR+ around 20miles. Providing you’re not in a remote location, you should be okay getting to another charger with a 20 mile radius these days if your first choice doesn’t work

Arriving at 11% SoC wouldn’t concern me in the slightest. There are a good few videos of folk trying to run an M3 until it stops dead and it’s a bit like toothpaste: there always seems to be a little bit left in the tube!

One thing I would take into account on your trip would be wind speed and direction. Motorway driving with an additional 20-30 MPH of wind can really hurt your range. I do an east:west weekly commute and was convinced there was something wrong with the car: turned out I was headlong into a 30MPH easterly.......which, predictably, had swung through 180 degrees by the time I had to head back!

Btw. You should try ABRP, best navigator for EVs IMHO. It tends to suggest more but shorter charge stops to minimise journey. Lots of options including waypoints min charge at chargers or destination etc.

I have played with it but what it can’t do is factor in bladder anxiety ;). If I’m planning a journey I tend to use Google maps and plot the stops I would like/need to make, and then use the nearest SuC.

If you haven’t been to the Darts Farm SuC, it’s not range you need to worry about, it’s the damage to your wallet that’s the biggest concern :). There and Tebay are the best SuC sites for spending :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: darkNstormy