Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Miners & Component Breakdown of Tesla Products

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting a new thread to address the following:
What does the resource breakdown look like for Tesla Products?
  • Vehicles: S3XY, Cybertruck, Semi
  • Energy Storage
  • Solar Roof

What are some miners that are publicly traded, eco-friendly, and can supply the required raw materials for Tesla. Probably one in each continent would be ideal.
  • $VALE, $BHP, and $RIO are some of the biggest nickel miners in the world. However, I am not aware of how environmentally friendly they are. I suspect not enough...
  • $FVAC is a good US-based rare-earth miner, unfortunately, I think they don't do nickel since nickel mining isn't big in the US.
According to Nickel production top countries 2019 | Statista, the biggest nickel mines are in Indonesia, Philippines, Russia, Australia, Canada, China and Brazil.... Canada might be close enough to the US for the Americas... I doubt we want to be dependent on the other countries though. Geopolitically best to bring the supply chains as close to the US as possible. I suspect Trump may be help with federal policies along these lines.

Specific to nickel:

https://www.nickelinstitute.org/media/2272/201707-nickel-reserves-en-new-design.pdf has higher numbers. Published 2017 using older data: sources on p2.

MINED NICKEL 1.900.000 metric tons
Annual nickel mine production
APPLICATIONS 25.000.000 metric tons
Nickel in use today
RESERVES
100.000.000 metric tons
Proven nickel reserves worldwide
RESOURCES
199.000.000 metric tons
Potentially available nickel resources worldwide
290.000.000 metric tons
Potentially available nickel offshore worldwide

I dont think that type of innovation has been applied. I'm sure you will find a lot of marketing that says such. Whats probably gonna happen is some company that owns a mine(and is not actively mining) with 50+ years of mining will get bought out and innovated upon.