TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

MINI-e - they're just going to crush them aren't they?

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by mpt, Jul 3, 2009.

1. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

Jay Friedland, Legislative Director at PluginAmerica.org has spotted that CARB's Zero Emission Vehicle program has no minimum timeframe for vehicles used for compliance; BMW's 500 MINI-e cars will earn the same full credit as a real vehicle production program.

Is this a bait and switch, or ‘lease then crush’ program like the EV1?

PluginAmerica has set up an e-form here:

Plug In America

To submit a request to CARBs chair, Mary Nichols to close this potential loophole.

Believe the hype or not, I urge you to sign up to send the message now just in case; we'll discuss the reality/speculation later!

MPT

2. johnr

johnr Member

Thanks MPT. Just finished filling out the form and sent it off. Let's close those loopholes!

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#3 vfx, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
    BMW also collects the EV $7500 from the Feds while charging customers ($10,200) $7700 for the year's lease. Talk about sticking it to the customers!

One blogger complained about this and was denied his car.

(sound familiar?)

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

So, what is happening with Mini-Es now? It sounds like some leases are running out and not being renewed? If BMW gives up on the Mini-E, I hope (at least) that the ACP drivetrains can get into some conversion vehicles. We ought to keep track of what happens to those Mini-Es once their leases are done.

5. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

Well since they obviously didn't want the public owning them, hence the BS lease gimmick, I doubt they are going to sell them.

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

As I understand it they offered current drivers new leases at a reduced $600 (from $900) per month.
    Only about %20 are going back. Mostly in disgust with BMW, not the cars.
    Many drivers also had huge issues with the local dealerships.

The remaining cars are going to be re-offered in different locations in Europe and more given to municipalities. as they did when the harsh pre-screening process left BMW with not enough Mini takers. By the way, that was another thing that angered leasers. The same car they were paying $900 per month for were given to communities for $10 a month.

This is the hearsay i have heard.

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I read similar reports, although it sounds like after the 1st year, the $10/month entities were told they needed to switch to $600/month which caused some to bail out. Does anyone know where they plan to send the 1 year old used units? I just heard "out of the country", but that doesn't say much about their fate.

8. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I did read a story somewhere about other markets being used for the phase 2 leasing, with France and Australia being mentioned.

By the way, I believe they have settled on the people for the second phase of leases in the UK. I still haven't been contacted. Not sure how much more I could want to be involved with this - I'm in their trial area, I have a garage with power, I can easily do the mileage they are looking for and I'm just about the only Brit that bothers to get involved with their UK Facebook group. Oh, and I can afford their lease. I actually think now that they are looking for anonymous types who won't say anything if the car does have some flaws (not that I'd be going into it blinkered anyway).

Oh well.

9. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Does not appear as if they are going to crush the vehicles. I would however be leery of any EV lease type program. Nissan had hinted they would lease the Leaf or battery. They gave that up, which was smart.

10. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

11. shark2k

shark2k Member

Are they letting Tom keep that?

-Shark2k

12. tommolog

tommolog Member

Yes. They let me take off the side scuttle numbers at the event. I already attached it to my ActiveE ;)
    ActiveE 025.jpg

13. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Any idea what's happening with the components?

14. tommolog

tommolog Member

I'm told many of the cars will continue to be in use for some time. AT least 50 are being used by the London Olympic committee until well after the games are over and there is a trial lease program beginning in South Africa very soon. Plus, many of them are being used by BMW employees in Munich.
    Once they do get decommissioned, the battery packs will all have 2nd life uses and BMW is currently working on a few deals to have them used(I suppose they'll sell them) They are also going to dissemble the cars and sell any parts they can for the used/2nd hand market. A lot of the parts are standard MINI parts and can be used on any MINI Cooper. I don't know what they are going to do with the AC Propulsion Power electronics units. I would think they have some kind of deal with ACP to buy them back for pennies on the dollar. Many were lightly used and can certainly get transplanted into another car to convert it to electric drive.

15. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Yeah there are a lot of us who would love to get our hands on the ACP system. :love:

16. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yes indeed...

17. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Any update on what happened to these cars?