TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

MINI QED

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by tonybelding, Aug 30, 2006.

1. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

Check the article. . . .

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/08/the_hybrid_mini.php

Pretty impressive. In some ways it seems more practical than the Tesla Roadster. Don't get too excited just yet, though! It's only a technology demonstrator, no plans for production.

It's nice to see somebody showing what can be done, at any rate.

2. Tesla2Go

Tesla2Go Member

Very interesting! They're using batteries together with an ultra capacitor. I wonder how handling is affected though having the motors on the wheels.

Perhaps it's just my own impression but it seems the last year we've seen explosion of electric vehicles that are actually practical. I wonder in 3 years what the situation will be :)

3. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

Part of it is technology, just because we have Li-ion cells now.  (No thanks to Chevron who locked up the NiMH battery patents.)  But there's also a renewed sense of motivation. . .

The stars are aligning.  Gas prices went up so much, we had Katrina, we have Iraq and Iran and Hugo Chavez, and people are accepting the need to do something about global warming.  (I remain skeptical of global warming doomsday scenarios, myself.)  Peak Oil has become a hot topic.  And then of course the "Who Killed" movie came out.  (I still haven't seen it.)  All these factors are driving renewed interest.

Although most people wouldn't think so, gasoline is still fairly cheap.  It's been $4-5 per gallon in Europe for many years.  And although there is renewed interest in electrics, it's still more of a smoldering spark than an open flame.  Most car makers still haven't done anything concrete. So. . . We aren't there yet. Another oil disruption and price spike might get things moving.

4. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

I am very impressed by Tesla Roadster, but this Mini conversion is astonishing.

It has everything. 4h or 1000+km range, if that is not enough there is little ICE that is enough for 60-70mph continous speed. Completly regenerative braking (no friction brakes) that replenish all kinetic energy, LiPolimer batteries that are more stable and easier to work with than LiIon, ultracaps for powerspikes etc.

The only unknow is price. I figure it goes into multiples of Tesla Roadsters :(

Here is more detailed article. On page 2 are various specs.
    http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsID/2060724.006/page/1/country/ecf/lang/eng/mini/pml-builds-640hp-electric-mini