Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mini Spare For Model 3, Hyundai Genesis 18" works

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well... this is a 2012 Hyundai Genesis 135/80R18 spare. The load rating on the tire is 1984lbs speed rating is 104M but the sticker says dont go over 50mph. It was listed as part# 560-70787. The center bore is 67.1 I ordeed hub centric rings.

The lug holes are beveled..... But! It doesn't fit! The studs line up perfectly. It looks like I need to widen the holes 2mm.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• PXL_20220223_221815247.jpg
    PXL_20220223_221815247.jpg
    606 KB · Views: 199
Well... this is a 2012 Hyundai Genesis 135/80R18 spare. The load rating on the tire is 1984lbs speed rating is 104M but the sticker says dont go over 50mph. It was listed as part# 560-70787. The center bore is 67.1 I ordeed hub centric rings.

The lug holes are beveled..... But! It doesn't fit! The studs line up perfectly. It looks like I need to widen the holes 2mm.

Any ideas?
Ahh! You have performance brakes. Doesn't fit on that car.

I opened the holes slightly with a 9/16 reamer I purchased from another forum member. I did it with a hand drill and just eyeballed it. The 9/16 holes are way tighter than the oem wheel holes.

I also purchased the metal hub centric rings because I don't trust my ability to ream out the holes perfectly straight.

Tested it out today and it works great. No vibrations at all. I can't even tell the tire is on when driving.

So far I've spent about $105. My goal is to get this all done for $200 because modern spare is $437.95. Now I'm shopping for a scissor jack and lug wrench or a cheap torque wrench.

PXL_20220302_000309667.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and photog72
Interestingly this video seems to indicate that it should fit.

Hmm,. Didn't fit for me. Maybe there is a slight manufacturing difference to these. The fit was just a tiny bit too tight.

I have used this spare once now by the way and it worked. I only put it in the trunk if I am going on a long trip.

So far I used it for a flat I woke up to in my driveway and just needed to go to work. Drove maybe 20miles round trip. Worked fine.

I'm surprised Tesla hasn't come out with an OEM option to purchase by now. I feel like it would be a huge seller.

Obviously this is use at your own risk but right now all these mini spares are use at your own risk. None of them are approved by Tesla.

Last edited:
Another option to buying an "Alt Spare", instead of eBay where they run $120ish+, is to check your local Junk Yard/Pick-n-Pull if you have one close by.

My local LKQ Yard has the car inventory listed each day. I searched on Genesis and had a list of the car locations in the Yard (row/space), then started with the newest.

The first 8 Genesis junkers either didn't have a tire, was <"18, the tire was in bad share or couldn't get the trunk open. When I reached the 9th Junker, it had the 18x4 rim and 135/80-18 tire. It looks unused based on no Lug Marks in the painted Cone Seat area of the rim.

Yes it's a gamble that you may not find a suitable one at the yard, but I make a full day of it to get other parts for friends/family/my other car too.

$26 after tax and yard entry fee.

Like many on here, I'll only carry it in the trunk for Long Road Trips, else the Tire Plug Kit should hopefully work in any event and wanted to keep the cost as low as possible since I'll use it so infrequently.