Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mini Spare For Model 3, Hyundai Genesis 18" works

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone knows if the 50 mph is the limitation of the tire? will the wheel work fine if a normal tire is used? or is the construction of the wheel less robust?
My Hyundai Genesis spare tire is rated for 81mph (104M rating) but the wheel says 50mph. I imagine it’s a handling/braking safety issue not a tire exploding issue.
F25B031C-CAFD-4199-B483-DD5E89B1911C.jpeg

My Hyundai Genesis spare tire is rated for 81mph (104M rating) but the wheel says 50mph. I imagine it’s a handling/braking safety issue not a tire exploding issue.
View attachment 456218
Pretty much most spares are M rated, but limited to 50MPH. I had same hope when I saw Modern Spare advertising 80MPH (looks they took out that now?). But after checking with manufactures, as well as specs online they all say it is limited to 50MPH.

I was hoping to find a spare tire that supports close to 80MPH, but so far none. Its not like it is going to blow at 80mph, but what I was told is, it is do with thermals as speed increases the spare casing does not take increased heat that comes with it for longer distances.

See description on tirerack for the same tire modernspare is advertising..(I think they are false advertising).
"The smaller physical size requires Pirelli Spare Tyres be maintained with 60 psi cold tire inflation pressures and driving speeds restricted to 50 mph."

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Spare+Tyre&partnum=38MR8TEMP

I was also thinking how about Audi, Merc collapsible spare tires. Ofcourse Bolt pattern is 5x112 instead of 5x114.3. But I am reading online people using 5x112 pattern wheels on 5x114.3 hubs with wobble lugnuts as it is only 2mm difference. If they are collapsible, there is a possibility we can fit the spare either in the frunk, or in storage well in the trunk.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jsmay311
I was also thinking how about Audi, Merc collapsible spare tires. Ofcourse Bolt pattern is 5x112 instead of 5x114.3. But I am reading online people using 5x112 pattern wheels on 5x114.3 hubs with wobble lugnuts as it is only 2mm difference. If they are collapsible, there is a possibility we can fit the spare either in the frunk, or in storage well in the trunk.

I'm looking at that as a solution too. Though a collapsed tire would still be at least 20 inches in diameter, and the hidden space in the trunk is only 18" wide at the top, and 15" at the bottom. The frunk is about 14" wide, so no way the spare would fit. Would have been awesome if the spare could fit inside the hidden compartment.

Though the collapsible tire do take up less space than a regular spare, so it's an valid option. One note is that these tires are 195mm wide which are about 4cm (1.5cm) wider than regular spares that's usually 155mm wide.

IMG_7724.JPG
I bought a Hyundai Genesis 18" spare on ebay for $100 with free shipping. I mounted it front and back and took a drive each time for a few miles. It works perfectly. The standard Tesla lug nuts fit the wheel just fine. The tire that comes on this spare is easily rated for the weight of the Model 3. Diameter is the same as tires that come on the 3. This mini spare takes up way less room in your trunk and weighs 15 pounds less than bringing along a full size Aero wheel and tire.

I would suggest only carrying a spare if you are going off to areas with little to no Tesla service and especially no cell service. I spend a fair amount of time on the Navajo and Hopi lands where one needs to be self sufficient. In most cases a plug kit and compressor is all you need but there is always the small chance of a complete blowout.

I recommend you buy one or two of these jack pads to carry with you along with a scissors jack and breaker bar with short extension and 21mm socket. My preferred: Jack Pad: Tesla

or get an Audi Jack and modify it like this..
View attachment 463204

Reactions: gene
Anyone try the Maserati inflatable spare?
18 inch 5x114.3

Wonder if this fits in frunk or trunk well.

2014 Maserati Ghibli S Q4 Emergency Spare Tire Wheel Compact 18x6 ET5 OEM | eBay

I'm thinking of picking up a Mercedes R350 spare along with a pack of wobble lug nuts since its a 112x5 wheel. Those wheels are also 18" but run less than $100 since the Maserati ones are now very expensive.

If anyone had experience with them please let me know, otherwise I'll report back on how it fits on the Model 3 after I pull the trigger.

Reactions: photog72
It's not that Tesla feels it is unnecessary, it is just general trend across the whole industry. In the ever more increasing push for more fuel economy, carrying dead weight of spare and jack that may never be used was easy place to cut out weight. Most times the pump and tire sealant are just as adequate in a pinch without the weight penalty. Last time I had a vehicle with an actual spare tire was 2000 when I had a pickup truck. Every car since then just had pump and tire sealant and have never needed to use. I'm sure I just jinxed myself. :p
Does not fit in back wheel on 2019 they may have made the calipers bigger.
ber: 12365"]I bought a Hyundai Genesis 18" spare on ebay for $100 with free shipping. I mounted it front and back and took a drive each time for a few miles. It works perfectly. The standard Tesla lug nuts fit the wheel just fine. The tire that comes on this spare is easily rated for the weight of the Model 3. Diameter is the same as tires that come on the 3. This mini spare takes up way less room in your trunk and weighs 15 pounds less than bringing along a full size Aero wheel and tire.

I would suggest only carrying a spare if you are going off to areas with little to no Tesla service and especially no cell service. I spend a fair amount of time on the Navajo and Hopi lands where one needs to be self sufficient. In most cases a plug kit and compressor is all you need but there is always the small chance of a complete blowout.

I recommend you buy one or two of these jack pads to carry with you along with a scissors jack and breaker bar with short extension and 21mm socket. My preferred: Jack Pad: Tesla[/QUOTE]

how about sonata?

Just google "hyundai sonata wheel dimensions" along with the year

Hyundai Sonata 2013 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs

Look for wheels that are:
- equal or bigger than 64.1mm in center bore
- PCD of 5x114.3
- thread size of M14

If thread size is M12, then you'll need to drill the holes bigger yourself. That goes for the Genesis spare tire too.
If the center bore is bigger than 64.1, then you'll need ot spend $10 on an adapter ring.

For those who are looking for a deal -

Look for Mercedes R350 spare tires. They're 18 inch, 5x112 wheels which means you'll need to use wobble bolts with them, but they're usually under $100, and they're space saver tires so they'll take up a bit less space.

I bought mine for $72 shipped. Look for listings that show pictures of the wrecked car instead of just the spare tire itself. Those listings are from salvage shops that save money by taking one photo and making multiple listings of various parts. Just ask to have them show you a photo of the tire for you to verify before sending it out.

Just google "hyundai sonata wheel dimensions" along with the year

Hyundai Sonata 2013 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs

Look for wheels that are:
- equal or bigger than 64.1mm in center bore
- PCD of 5x114.3
- thread size of M14

If thread size is M12, then you'll need to drill the holes bigger yourself. That goes for the Genesis spare tire too.
If the center bore is bigger than 64.1, then you'll need ot spend $10 on an adapter ring.

Thx. Looks like I'll stick to Genesis since I don't want to be drilling etc or maybe R350 depending on what wobble bolts are.

What model years for Genesis/ R350 ?