Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mini Spare For Model 3, Hyundai Genesis 18" works

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just throwing the idea out there.

Bought a Hyundai Equus (ad said ’13-‘16) 19x4 spare with a 155/70R19 tire for 70 shipped. The tire is almost exactly the same diameter as the 20” Performance tires. Bolt pattern is 5x114.3. Weight shouldn’t be a problem since an Equus is heavier than a Model 3. I’m hoping that it’ll clear the Performance brakes. I’ll report back when I get a chance to try it out. (May take a while.)
Any update? Would love to see pics of it clearing the Performance brakes.

It didn't clear mine.

I have a shop down the street that had the OEM Hyundai spare tire/rim.....

I had them turn the wheel very very slowly to see if it would clear my calipers and it wouldn't. I needed about a 1/16 of an inch more clearance in the rear. I needed about 1/8 of an inch in the front. Not worth risking tearing the red off my calipers.

Thanks for the reminder. I’ll try to install them this week. The height of the tire is concerning; it is ~1” taller than the factory tire.

It didn't clear mine.

I have a shop down the street that had the OEM Hyundai spare tire/rim.....

I had them turn the wheel very very slowly to see if it would clear my calipers and it wouldn't. I needed about a 1/16 of an inch more clearance in the rear. I needed about 1/8 of an inch in the front. Not worth risking tearing the red off my calipers.
Was this an 18” or 19” spare? The one I have is a 19” spare.

Reactions: photog72
i like the fact that it's small/donut. Any deals on the tire?

I like donuts -- donuts.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: SlimJim
Thanks for the compliment!

Didn't see a Hyundai Equus spare on eBay right now for a decent price, but there is a Kia K900 spare. I believe it's the same as a Equus. Thought about buying it to confirm.

Wheel Alloy 19x4 Spare Fits 15-17 K900 1829245 | eBay

Yes this is the same spec as the Hyundai spare. Lug nut size is M12 instead of M14 so note that you might need to ream the holes bigger.

Center bore is bigger than the M3 so you can consider getting a 67.1 to 64.1 adapter ring. But since this is for a spare you probably don't need to worry about having perfect balance.

Reactions: photog72
Yes this is the same spec as the Hyundai spare. Lug nut size is M12 instead of M14 so note that you might need to ream the holes bigger.

Center bore is bigger than the M3 so you can consider getting a 67.1 to 64.1 adapter ring. But since this is for a spare you probably don't need to worry about having perfect balance.
I already have a 19” Hyundai spare and the studs don’t need to be reamed.

I also already commented that an adapter will be needed.

I know I'm way late to the party here. Has this been well tested? Are you all certain about model 3 not minding having different circumference tires on each side of the car? I know it doesn't use limited slip differentials (clutches or such), but won't this trigger some level of slip detection if one side is different than the other? It's all good to get something with the same ratios printed on the sidewall, however, different tires (even from the same mfg) can vary significantly from those numbers. Whether this causes damage or just digital confusion I do not know. Seems like it would be a good idea to test travel distances per revolution and adjust spare inflation accordingly. Unless of course someone has driven and shown different radius tires don't cause a problem?

I know I'm way late to the party here. Has this been well tested? Are you all certain about model 3 not minding having different circumference tires on each side of the car? I know it doesn't use limited slip differentials (clutches or such), but won't this trigger some level of slip detection if one side is different than the other? It's all good to get something with the same ratios printed on the sidewall, however, different tires (even from the same mfg) can vary significantly from those numbers. Whether this causes damage or just digital confusion I do not know. Seems like it would be a good idea to test travel distances per revolution and adjust spare inflation accordingly. Unless of course someone has driven and shown different radius tires don't cause a problem?
These are temporary spares. They are not supposed to be used for driving long distances and at high speed. And, with that, if you're going to compare the stock 235/45-18 tire vs. the 135/80-18 tire, the revs/mi is 766 vs. 761. An indicated 50 mph on a stock size tire, would mean you would travel at 50.4 mph on the space saver spare.