Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mini Spare For Model 3, Hyundai Genesis 18" works

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a Hyundai Genesis 18" spare on ebay for $100 with free shipping. I mounted it front and back and took a drive each time for a few miles. It works perfectly. The standard Tesla lug nuts fit the wheel just fine. The tire that comes on this spare is easily rated for the weight of the Model 3. Diameter is the same as tires that come on the 3. This mini spare takes up way less room in your trunk and weighs 15 pounds less than bringing along a full size Aero wheel and tire.

I would suggest only carrying a spare if you are going off to areas with little to no Tesla service and especially no cell service. I spend a fair amount of time on the Navajo and Hopi lands where one needs to be self sufficient. In most cases a plug kit and compressor is all you need but there is always the small chance of a complete blowout.

I recommend you buy one or two of these jack pads to carry with you along with a scissors jack and breaker bar with short extension and 21mm socket. My preferred: Jack Pad: Tesla
Daniel
I just got 4 of those Jack Pads .how much you cost on them ?

Thanks for the compliment!

Didn't see a Hyundai Equus spare on eBay right now for a decent price, but there is a Kia K900 spare. I believe it's the same as a Equus. Thought about buying it to confirm.

Wheel Alloy 19x4 Spare Fits 15-17 K900 1829245 | eBay

Well, I did end up buying the K900 spare and there is good new and bad news.

"Good" news: A Kia K900 is the same spare as a Hyundai Equus

Bad news: Didn't realize there was a different lug nut style used until test fitting the K900 spare. < D'oh! > At this point, it's not a spare I'd recommend for everybody.

Bad news: Didn't realize there was a different lug nut style used until test fitting the K900 spare. < D'oh! > At this point, it's not a spare I'd recommend for everybody.

So, what you're saying is that the Equus spare fits w/ no problems and no modification (other than the hub ring)? The K900 spare has issues w/ the lug nuts?

So, what you're saying is that the Equus spare fits w/ no problems and no modification (other than the hub ring)? The K900 spare has issues w/ the lug nuts?

Not quite. I put “good” [news] in quotes cause I was hoping to find that a Hyundai Equus and Kia K900 used the same spare; well, they do. However, even the Hyundai Equus uses a mag style lug nut and will need modification to work properly in a Model 3. That’s where the tapered drill bit came into play; I modified the original [Equus] spare to have a taper to match the original lug nuts. Drilling a taper is not something I’m going to recommend to the general public.

Reactions: photog72

Looks like recess has what we call chatter (jumping/bit to material) in the process. I would say use a drill press vs a hand held drill..

Looks like recess has what we call chatter (jumping/bit to material) in the process. I would say use a drill press vs a hand held drill..

Yup, it’s chatter. Unfortunately, my drill press won’t reach the holes even if I were to remove the tire first.

BF16E289-61FB-4853-9677-C791688522B7.jpeg

6582524A-FA9F-4EBD-B1DB-502CFA7709E5.jpeg

I bought a Hyundai Genesis 18" spare on ebay for $100 with free shipping. I mounted it front and back and took a drive each time for a few miles. It works perfectly. The standard Tesla lug nuts fit the wheel just fine. The tire that comes on this spare is easily rated for the weight of the Model 3. Diameter is the same as tires that come on the 3. This mini spare takes up way less room in your trunk and weighs 15 pounds less than bringing along a full size Aero wheel and tire.

I would suggest only carrying a spare if you are going off to areas with little to no Tesla service and especially no cell service. I spend a fair amount of time on the Navajo and Hopi lands where one needs to be self sufficient. In most cases a plug kit and compressor is all you need but there is always the small chance of a complete blowout.

I recommend you buy one or two of these jack pads to carry with you along with a scissors jack and breaker bar with short extension and 21mm socket. My preferred: Jack Pad: Tesla

Late reply.
I used a "reamer". Being very careful I was able to do it with a. hand drill without the bit "catching" or chatter.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BNKCNN2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm willing to sell and ship it as I doubt I'll ever use it again.
View attachment 581810
Whole diameter isn’t the issue. It’s the lack of a taper. The taper bit I was using with a hand drill skipped. Eventually I’ll get around to modifying my drill press to make it work. No rush though.

The 17" Genesis spare fits the non-Performance brakes just fine, got one for $60 on ebay. I had to modify the rim a bit to work with the wheel spacers (clearance for studs poking through). Now I need to find a way to mount it in the trunk, I'm thinking about installing nutserts/rivnuts in the beam above the trunk.

Reactions: photog72
The 17" Genesis spare fits the non-Performance brakes just fine, got one for $60 on ebay. I had to modify the rim a bit to work with the wheel spacers (clearance for studs poking through). Now I need to find a way to mount it in the trunk, I'm thinking about installing nutserts/rivnuts in the beam above the trunk.
Both front and back? That's a great deal. The 18" Genesis wheels are pricey, though they can be found for about $100 every so often.