Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minimize Battery Drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My not even 3 month old model Y was smashed by someone we'll call Karen on black Friday. Around my area there is exactly one shop that is trusted to fix Tesla cars, and they're booked until Dec 6 leaving my car sitting in the tow yard for another week. When I was hit my car had 261 miles of charge left, it has since drained down to 202 miles of charge and with the week of waiting and god knows how long the repairs are going to take I'm wondering if there is anything/settings I can do to minimize the drain to ensure I don't waste away to nothing? The only thing I can think of to drain the battery is the frunk is stuck open due to the accident, and the light inside seemed to be on when I went to see the car at the tow yard. I can get the frunk open, but not latched back down, can I disconnect the light to reduce the battery drain or is there anything else I can do? I asked the tow yard what happens if I drain down the zero and they said "I don't know" which wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear.
Tesla accident 2.jpg
Tesla accident 3.jpg

Yes yes. Turn off everything!!! Sentry mode is a crazy killer. And stop checking the app as it wakes up the car every time.
Normally you should only lose like 1-2% a day. ALso, you're parked outside in the snow so the cold will decrease range!

Reactions: gmetcalf18
Also once it hits 20% sentry will be force-disabled (not sure about summon etc). Sorry about your car, hopefully they can make it perfect again. If you turn everything off though though you should be able to get it down to under a mile lost per day, even in the cold.

Reactions: gmetcalf18
That's what I don't understand, I don't use sentry mode, I don't have any apps other than the Tesla app. Before the accident I've left it at home 4-5 days and not lost a single percentage, I just checked for the first time this morning and it's all the way down to 180 miles making me think something is on draining the battery. I'm going to go back to the tow yard and see if I can figure it out. Thanks for the help!

That's what I don't understand, I don't use sentry mode, I don't have any apps other than the Tesla app. Before the accident I've left it at home 4-5 days and not lost a single percentage, I just checked for the first time this morning and it's all the way down to 180 miles making me think something is on draining the battery. I'm going to go back to the tow yard and see if I can figure it out. Thanks for the help!
Yeah, sounds like something with the impact is keeping something on.