Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minimize screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

OxBrew

Sep 23, 2021
Spokane WA
Is it possible to basically shut down the screen, hide everything except speed and gear selector?

I think I know the answer. Just hoping I missed something.

When on a road trip, I just need to see the stuff in the upper left. Everything else should be black, until I tap on it.

Equivalent to Saab's old night mode, hit a button and only the speed, tach and warning stuff was illuminated (high beams, basically). All other controls went dark.

Dark screen is better than nothing, but still distracting. I do not need that dang map to drive the car. Just want it gone.

Reactions: s_zigmond
The best I've encountered for nighttime driving is to use the voice command and say "set display to 5%" Didn't know you could make it blank entirely.
I don't think you can, that's my question. Just want the core info in the upper left, over to the battery (or miles) and down just to the bottom of the gear indicators.

I just assumed this would be an obvious feature to have for long trips.

LED screen power consumption doesn't change unless you adjust the screen's overall brightness. Even then, a 15" LCD only consumes ~15W. Turning it off for ~20 hours would get you an extra mile of range. ;)

@mrwug small clarification here:

- LCD screens (regardless of backlight type: LED or flourescent) keep the backlight on whenever in any use. They actually consume *more* power displaying dark/black elements as they need to twist the pixels shut to block the light from the backlight. They also don't do this perfectly, which is why you will usually still see a greyish/dull glow on black parts of an LCD screen
- LCD tvs often have multiple lighting zones, meaning the screen area is broken down into several areas with independent backlights. This helps minimize the effect of the bleeding light in any zones that are 100% black at any given time, but still not perfect.
- a true LED display (like AMOLED phones for example, or actual OLED tvs--not QLED or just "LED" which are actually LED-backlight LCD) can independently illuminate each pixels on the screen. For these screens, a black pixel is using zero power, so it can be beneficial to have unused parts of the screen be black when you have a proper LED screen.

To the best of my knowledge, the display in the MY is an LED-backlight LCD, so having some elements of the screen be blank/black would not save much (if multiple zone backlit) or any (if single backlight) power usage.

@mrwug small clarification here:

- LCD screens (regardless of backlight type: LED or flourescent) keep the backlight on whenever in any use. They actually consume *more* power displaying dark/black elements as they need to twist the pixels shut to block the light from the backlight. They also don't do this perfectly, which is why you will usually still see a greyish/dull glow on black parts of an LCD screen
- LCD tvs often have multiple lighting zones, meaning the screen area is broken down into several areas with independent backlights. This helps minimize the effect of the bleeding light in any zones that are 100% black at any given time, but still not perfect.
- a true LED display (like AMOLED phones for example, or actual OLED tvs--not QLED or just "LED" which are actually LED-backlight LCD) can independently illuminate each pixels on the screen. For these screens, a black pixel is using zero power, so it can be beneficial to have unused parts of the screen be black when you have a proper LED screen.

To the best of my knowledge, the display in the MY is an LED-backlight LCD, so having some elements of the screen be blank/black would not save much (if multiple zone backlit) or any (if single backlight) power usage.
That's fine. I'm not asking for minimize mode for energy savings, just to minimize distractions for long trips.

Even if it still uses the same or slightly more energy, I won't be able to notice.