Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minimizing Whr/mile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a thread for those of us (a minority) who value efficiency and economy over performance and thrills. Nothing against performance seekers and thrill buyers - they contribute to the mission of fossil fuel usage reduction bigly. When I owned a 2005 Prius, there was a class of drivers known as hypermilers, who used every trick they could think of to increase their mpg - I've carried my Prius hypermiling over to my Teslas and I think I'm not alone. I'm not a religious hypermiler - I typically drive 2-5 mpg over the speed limit when on the highway, stay in the right lane except to pass, and generally go with the flow of traffic but I do pretty well with a 232 Wh/m average over 17,000+ miles.
This is accomplished by a couple simple things:
1: Stay in Chill mode
2: Keep tires inflated to 42 psi
3: Anticipating/timing stoplights so as to avoid braking
4: Use of standard aerocovers
5: Gentle driving
6: Maintaining a steady speed
7. Use HVAC only when needed
8. Keep unneeded junk out of the car
9: Use of basic autopilot as much as possible (it's smoother on the accelerator than I am)

So no doubt, I am one of the most boring Tesla drivers in the country.

The benefits are:
1: Less stress on my Y should help it last longer with fewer repairs
2: Longer tire life
3: Less electricity usage
4: passengers don't get motion sickness/wife doesn't scream at me
5: maybe fewer moving violation tickets and accidents which should lower insurance costs

all leading to lower TCO.

So what do you other hypermilers in Teslaville do that I am missing? Any mods to decrease Whr/m? How do you deal with hills? Any advice?
Only thing I disagree with here is #9.... I'm smoother than the car and can look WAY ahead to see what traffic and lights are doing. Otherwise 100%

OP is not a hypermiler. I was during my Prius owning days (~ 70 mpg) but no more.

Not that I have turned into an aggressive driver, it is just for me a case of driving at speeds of the flow of traffic. I have also narrowed down the list of fuel savings tricks to the top 5 or so that matter the most:

• I combine trips
  • I anticipate what is ahead, and coast down. Very little friction brake use
  • I pay attention to the sun. I use it to heat the car in the winter, and I block it in the summer
  • I use the car's seat heater and heated steering wheel for comfort, and rarely use cabin heating
Lifetime over 32k miles in my Model 3 was 219 Wh/mile. Sold a few months ago, waiting for Model Y

Reactions: house9 and Big Earl
So if the goal is to reduce carbon emissions wouldn’t this actually be bad? Drafting behind a semi isn’t free; it causes the truck to use marginally more fuel. So, the cleaner EV is using less energy but the ICE is using more. Also taking advantage of another driver for your benefit is kind of a jerk move.
Do you have a citation for the claim that a vehicle drafting behind another causes the leading vehicle to use more fuel? I thought I had heard that when bicycles draft, the second rider smooths out the air flow behind the first resulting in a very minor reduction in drag for the front rider. I assumed it would be the same for trucks and cars?

So... a quick Google search says that in Nascar racing, both cars go faster when drafting. Two nearly identical race cars is different than a truck and a car, so maybe the aerodynamics work out differently. The car would have to make the low pressure zone behind the truck worse to cut into its fuel economy.

For me, the possibility of cracking a windshield is a bigger reason to avoid drafting a truck than the possibility I might cause them to burn more fuel. I've already had one windshield replaced on my Y, and I'd like to keep the current one around for a while.

OP is not a hypermiler. I was during my Prius owning days (~ 70 mpg) but no more.

Not that I have turned into an aggressive driver, it is just for me a case of driving at speeds of the flow of traffic. I have also narrowed down the list of fuel savings tricks to the top 5 or so that matter the most:

• I combine trips
  • I anticipate what is ahead, and coast down. Very little friction brake use
  • I pay attention to the sun. I use it to heat the car in the winter, and I block it in the summer
  • I use the car's seat heater and heated steering wheel for comfort, and rarely use cabin heating
Lifetime over 32k miles in my Model 3 was 219 Wh/mile. Sold a few months ago, waiting for Model Y
I think 219 Wh/mi over 32k miles is amazing. I averaged 237 Whr/mi over 53,000 miles in my 2018 LR RWD Model 3, but that did include 2 roundtrips from Rochester, NY to SanDiego which probably drove my average up considerably.

The smoother you drive the better quality you'll get from the Tesla (or any car). Don't speed. Don't slam the breaks. Don't speed up, then down, then up, then down, etc. Steady pace is best. Also, no need for AC or heat? Don't use it. As OP stated, all these small things add up if you're actually trying to get as much miles as possible.

This seems like an awful lot of work. I have a lifetime of 275 wh/mi for just over 14k miles without really trying.
So you're probably paying about $60 more per year in electricity than Op. Seems reasonable for not worrying about it imo

I have kind of a heavy foot but still appreciate tips that can help improve efficiency. I would add narrower tires to the list.

Reactions: zpaul and Halldawg
Mythbusters did the truck drafting test. There is a gain but ONLY if you drive scaringly close, otherwise it's not worth it. So, it's just plain not worth it.

I'm one of those that would indeed say that chill mode isn't necessary since you can achieve the same thing by being reasonable, and you have access to all your power in emergency situations. But to each his/her own.

Reactions: Pianewman
I'm always pleased to see the efficiency improve when I'm driving the MYP, but alas, between the MN winter and the fact that my car is a P, my lifetime efficiency over around 11k miles is at 295 Wh/Mi. I like seeing that number go down in the warmer months, and I usually try to drive in a way that's biased toward efficiency. But I also want to mash the accelerator once in a while, so sometimes I feel conflicted while driving this car. :p

I'm always pleased to see the efficiency improve when I'm driving the MYP, but alas, between the MN winter and the fact that my car is a P, my lifetime efficiency over around 11k miles is at 295 Wh/Mi. I like seeing that number go down in the warmer months, and I usually try to drive in a way that's biased toward efficiency. But I also want to mash the accelerator once in a while, so sometimes I feel conflicted while driving this car. :p
I wouldn't worry about it. The occasional accelerator mash is unlikely to have a measurable effect on lifetime efficiency, unless by "once in a while" you mean "every few seconds". All the other things mentioned are going to have a much larger effect. If you feel like mashing the accelerator when there's a Camaro with loud pipes next to you at the stop light, you can do so knowing it won't make any real difference to your overall efficiency!

Reactions: gx9901 and GtiMart
So what do you other hypermilers in Teslaville do
Yes! Great subject. Mostly said yes yes yes as i read you list, awesome doing all those. I am taking notes as i read, and may insert a good suggestion if it hasn’t been covered. I’ve been driving 25,000 a year for 15 years of 85 mile daily commutes in my Prui (haha 2004 2005 2010 & 2015s) and just in my first month with Tesla. Couldn’t be more tickled, i love it. It was a necessity to learn mpg improvements over the years. Only have 2,000 on my MYLR, but getting 252Wh/mi 2000 mile lifetime average so far.

Ok, i have two ideas i’ve used over my 15 years of learning to conserve $, and now kW:

1. When starting a drive, avoid getting up to highway speeds for about first 2 miles. When leaving my work, I take the side road to the next onramp. I’ve done both, straight on the freeway and measured my wh/mi to a point beyond the next onramp. Results were freeway 348wh/mi in 3 miles; sideroad 232wh/mi same distance same point. Made a big improvement on the end result of that 42 mile commute. (239wh/mi vs 272wh/mi).

2. When approaching a bridge/overpass (higher than surrounding road), get out of cruise, and maintain throttle at same position as level road portion. Let inertia take you up and over, maintain throttle down the other side, re-engage cruise when you regain cruising speed. This is maybe 10-15% increased benefit. Gosh Elon, make us a hypermile button with all or some of these features. Cruise likes to punch throttle going up and over, and coasting or regen the other side, so not too efficient.

Anyway, i love this thread. Thanks to all who contributed.

Reactions: Nolakai
Great information on helping to reduce wh/mi. Very consistent with the recommendations to improve mpg for hybrid vehicles, which I've driven for many years. I've put many miles on two Prius' which are now being used by other family members and still going strong. Without trying to focus on improving wh/mi my new Model Y LR has gotten 249 wh/mi over my first 2,000 miles and best rating of 236 wh/mi. I wonder if there's a sweet spot driving a Tesla at a certain speed to get the best wh/mi. My Prius' really liked a speed in the mid 40's to get the best mpg. I'm going to start actively using some of my hybrid techniques and recommendations in this conversation to see how I can improve my numbers. Granted, living in a warm climate is helping me considerably.

Here's some interesting information I pulled from ev-database.uk referring to Model Y LR:

Real Energy Consumption Estimationbetween 200 - 405 Wh/mi​

City - Cold Weather *300 Wh/mi
Highway - Cold Weather *405 Wh/mi
Combined - Cold Weather *349 Wh/mi
City - Mild Weather *200 Wh/mi
Highway - Mild Weather *313 Wh/mi
Combined - Mild Weather *254 Wh/mi

Indication of real-world energy use in several situations. Cold weather: 'worst-case' based on -10°C and use of heating. Mild weather: 'best-case' based on 23°C and no use of A/C. For 'Highway' figures a constant speed of 70 mph is assumed. The energy use will depend on speed, style of driving, climate and route conditions.

Great information on helping to reduce wh/mi. Very consistent with the recommendations to improve mpg for hybrid vehicles, which I've driven for many years. I've put many miles on two Prius' which are now being used by other family members and still going strong. Without trying to focus on improving wh/mi my new Model Y LR has gotten 249 wh/mi over my first 2,000 miles and best rating of 236 wh/mi. I wonder if there's a sweet spot driving a Tesla at a certain speed to get the best wh/mi. My Prius' really liked a speed in the mid 40's to get the best mpg. I'm going to start actively using some of my hybrid techniques and recommendations in this conversation to see how I can improve my numbers. Granted, living in a warm climate is helping me considerably.

Here's some interesting information I pulled from ev-database.uk referring to Model Y LR:

Real Energy Consumption Estimationbetween 200 - 405 Wh/mi​

City - Cold Weather *300 Wh/mi
Highway - Cold Weather *405 Wh/mi
Combined - Cold Weather *349 Wh/mi
City - Mild Weather *200 Wh/mi
Highway - Mild Weather *313 Wh/mi
Combined - Mild Weather *254 Wh/mi

Indication of real-world energy use in several situations. Cold weather: 'worst-case' based on -10°C and use of heating. Mild weather: 'best-case' based on 23°C and no use of A/C. For 'Highway' figures a constant speed of 70 mph is assumed. The energy use will depend on speed, style of driving, climate and route conditions.

Another way to summarize this (nice) table is: The car uses 200 Wh/mi under ideal conditions. Add 100 for highway speeds and/or extreme weather.

Just returned home in my 2022 Model Y LR from a short mid-week trip to the beach, total mileage 115 miles with a reported 214 wh/mi. The outside temp was 80 with no rain. No A/C running during the trip. Traffic was light with maybe 20 percent being highway and only one person in the car. The wh/mi seemed to trend down slowly on long stretches of road doing between 45 and 55 mph. Also tire pressure was set to 43 psi cold, a little high but we are getting hit with a cold front tomorrow with temps maybe in the high sixty (I'll need to find my sweaters).

Just returned home in my 2022 Model Y LR from a short mid-week trip to the beach, total mileage 115 miles with a reported 214 wh/mi. The outside temp was 80 with no rain. No A/C running during the trip. Traffic was light with maybe 20 percent being highway and only one person in the car. The wh/mi seemed to trend down slowly on long stretches of road doing between 45 and 55 mph. Also tire pressure was set to 43 psi cold, a little high but we are getting hit with a cold front tomorrow with temps maybe in the high sixty (I'll need to find my sweaters).

Yep, very close to optimal conditions, and pretty close to 200 wh/mi which is darn good.