TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Minivan or MS... Can't decide!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ChrgdTeCHick, May 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ChrgdTeCHick

ChrgdTeCHick Member

Long story short: 3 kids (9,7,5) currently have a '14 Odyssey, lease coming to end, debating between getting a new fully loaded '18 Ody or a pretty loaded CPO MS 85. Located in Florida, 80+ mile a day commute that's primarily taking the kids to school, then I work full time, take kids home, then off to the University for me some evenings (for the next few years) and various family outings on the weekends. So the minivan room isn't a necessity for but more useful. If you "downgraded" in size, what is your experience?

Long story: I currently have a '14 Odyssey that I purposely leased pending the '18 Ody (the new generation). After years of waiting and looking at the news for announcements and the car shows, it was finally announced! I was so excited until I realized that all the upgrades were more geared towards families with very young kids (seats that slide.. More... Side to side for easy car seat buckling, cabin camera for RF kids etc). Did have one perk, ability to speak to the 3rd row through the headphones or speakers from the front. Aside that, well, it was my current minivan with some upgraded items. Either way, I decided to upgrade from an EX-L (no Navy or rear entertainment) to a touring or touring elite to go all out this time.

Then I found out about Tesla CPO's.... And my debate started.

I started to put together all the numbers to see over all cost of purchasing the new Ody (estimating a little over current cost) and CPO's. Even with the cost being somewhat higher on the MS then a filly tricked out Ody, and the slight increase of insurance, the $200+ gas bill a month would drop to $30-$40 electric ($.06 electric charge in my area). I, for the most part, would end up paying less a month/year with the MS. Great, now reasons to get the MS are stacking up even more.

I started to review this forum and others for stories of families in the MS. I have visited the Tesla store and have had my kids sit in it for true room visual. I then took a look at my van and how I use it. I started to realize just how much "junk" we keep in it because, well... the room us there. I even keep a 2nd row seat out completely 99% of the time so 3rd row access is easier. We have maxed out seating a total of two times in 5 years, on trips I don't see doing similar ones of for a while. I have used it for a lot of home improvement and IKEA trips where all seats out but driver was taken advantage of (can fit a piece of plywood flat). But then I thought... Those were very very rare... Plus Lowes/HD have rental trucks. I could rent a minivan if I need more room on a trip. My kids don't play sports, and I don't carpool. Plus I work full time and go to a university full time for now, so the vehicle is mainly taking the kids to/from school, and simple weekend outings. Truck/frunk have more than enough room for the "junk" on those situations.

I started to take the MS search seriously. I decided that if I wanted to transition down to a sedan from a Minivan that we use all 3 rows in (cause its there and we can) l I should look at ones with the jump seats (but with the mentality of "use when/if needed" not everyday due the the gripes from them) After months of research, subscribing to EV-CPO and working with a CPO rep, I have narrowed it down to two I like. A 2013 P85 (pre-parking sensors, but has everything else) with $30k miles in my state, so no shipping charge, or a 2014 85 $28k miles, $1k more and $2k shipping. The 2013 is looking to be the best deal so far (for my wants)

The numbers add up, the room we need seems to be there (although obviously less than the van), but... I can't decide if I should downgrade in size to an MS? If you did, I want your feedback. I over think, over read, research non stop to make all decisions, and then I have buyers remorse for a bit on everything. Transitioning from a Minivan to a full luxury sedan isn't something I can find tons of stories on. The Tesla fits me 100x more than a minivan ever would. I am not at all a "soccer mom," although the Ody is one amazing van and don't mind owning one.

2. Dwdnjck

Dwdnjck Member

Take a nice long drive in the Tesla and drive your minivan home. If you don't think something is wrong with the minivan, get a new one.

3. whitex

whitex Active Member

#3 whitex, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
    After over a decade of driving a minivan (2 Toyota Sienna's) my wife transitioned into a Model S at the very beginning of this year. She drives as much as 2K miles per month hauling kids around and participating in different activities. Initially she did have some concerns about space, but now she loves it and would never go back - kids love it too. She discovered that the Model S is almost the same size and the van (look it up if you don't believe it) - the only thing it doesn't have is height inside. With the hatch on the back, she can haul as much stuff from Ikea and other places as with the van (she once brought a 100" table, very tight fit but did it - side benefit, no shortage of Ikea employees willing to help load it into a Tesla ;)) This morning she put our lawnmower in the trunk (over some plastic garbage bags of course) and drove to mow her mother's lawn. Bottom line, Model S is a deceptively large car. Here is my Model S next to a Cooper Mini. Model S vs. Mini-0000.png

And here a Model S next to some sport cars with comparable 0-60mph times:
    vidcap.png

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  4. henderrj

henderrj Member

"Punch it grandpa!" I hear that every time our grandkids are in the backseat. They fight for those jump seats. All 4 of them love it! Course I live in the Northwest so the temperature is much more moderate here.

Somebody did a comparison of the cost for a new Tesla and an odyssey or maybe a pilot a few years ago. Amazingly it came out about the same. I'm sure if you do a search here or via Google you'll find that. Pretty interesting read.

Been a long time since our kids were small enough that we needed a minivan, we now owna Soul EV and the Tesla. Don't think I'll ever go back to gas!

5. tpham07

tpham07 Member

Model S has plenty of space. If you want the same utility as a minivan, try for a model X.

6. whitex

whitex Active Member

#6 whitex, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Model X does not have any more usable room, possibly less than the Model S. I was waiting for the Model X to come out to replace the van, then went to test drive one, opened the trunk and said "what the ....?!?" - less space than the MS. I realized that the MX is just MS on stilts (larger wheels on taller suspension), 3rd row that doesn't completely fold out of the way and fancy but rather impractical doors (mostly wing doors but not a fan of no handles on the front either). That and it burns through more electricity per mile. So we just replaced the van with another Model S instead.

7. Burnt Toast

Burnt Toast Member

Well that's not true

8. Burnt Toast

Burnt Toast Member

OP, you came to a Tesla forum to ask about buying a Tesla. You've already made up your mind.

• Like x 4
  9. docherf

docherf Member

I went from full size suv to MS. The cargo space is enormous in the MS. Trips to home Depot or Costco are no problem. If you need plywood, they'll cut it for you to size at the store - then it fits. miss the towing, but not much else. Love the MS. I had a minivan years ago - it was practical but can't say I ever missed it.

10. whitex

whitex Active Member

Man (or a woman) of few words, eh? Not sure which part you think was not true (maybe you dispute them all), so let me iterate through what I said with some supporting facts.

Size comparison,:X is 2.3" longer and 3.2" wider, however it does have a third row of seats which doesn't fold into the floor like a lot of minivans do. So, less space than S inside.
    SvsXsize.png
    As for practicality of doors, van sliding doors open or close in less than 2 seconds, the wing doors took 6 seconds to open during my test drive, way longer to close as they failed to close the first time around so had to open and close again. I hear they shaved off some time, but still way longer than a van and less reliable. I live in the NW, waiting 2 seconds vs. 6 seconds while it's raining on your head makes a big difference, so is waiting for the door to close finally. As for the front door, there is no handle. The model I test drove had automatic present, which was definitely slower than opening my S door by hand, plus would have to be disabled anyways because in the garage we park our two Tesla's close enough that if both presented at the same time, the glass on the windows would crash into each other. Oh, that that's if you pay for the auto-presenting doors, if not, you press a button then grab the door by something, a lot of passengers would just reach for the glass window which I assume is not meant to be used as a door handle.

As for mileage, X75D has a rated range of 237miles, while S75D has a rated range of 259 miles. Same battery. X uses more electricity.

If you bought an X. this is not meant to be a criticism of your choice, just providing some data for someone who is considering a Tesla as an alternative to a van since I was in the same situation 5 months ago. IMO X is useful if you absolutely have to have the 3rd row of seats often - the 3rd row in X it is definitely superior to S jump seats, but if that's not the case (which the OP seems to indicate) then X doesn't offer much over S, while it costs more and has some drawbacks.

• Informative x 2
  11. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

#11 davidc18, May 8, 2017
    Traded our Odyssey on a second MS, but having said that, the MS is much less practical than the Odyssey and at times, we have to take both cars when we travel with our 3 boys plus their gear. Just saying don't let your excitement over the MS blind you to the significant reduction in usability you are likely used to with the Odyssey.

Ask your local SC for a weekend test drive in an MS and see if it will work for you.

• Like x 1
  12. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

My 3 kids are smaller at 4, 2, 2 and the S works well for us.

We also considered an Oddyssey to replace our Grand Cherokee. Instead we went the route of a CPO S85 RWD. Spacious trunk and frunk as well as ease of putting on a cargo pod for trips (Must have pano roof).

As you'll experience with any 2 row vs 3 row vehicle, there is only one middle seat and kids will eventually fight when kept close to each other.

The odyssey will afford you an extra seat or two for friends or family to join. If I were to do it again I'd make the same choice, though I would like Autopilot.

13. Burnt Toast

Burnt Toast Member

So you proved yourself wrong. The S is smaller in every dimension than the X. In car sizes, a couple of inches makes a big difference. Its the difference between an E class and S Class for example. A more valid comparison would be interior volume, which is probably 50% bigger in the X.

14. ChrgdTeCHick

ChrgdTeCHick Member

So grateful for all of the responses I've already received thank you!

We did look at the X as well, but I didn't find that it justified the extra cost for us. If anything, I could keep my van and get the MS and still pay less a month than I would buying the X. It's nice for sure but when we looked at it with the mentality of replacing the van (vs downgrading to a sedan) it was a "downgrade" as far as practicality. Way less storage, not as comfortable, and my garage sits low, so those doors would open very little making getting in and out more of a pain then a sedan.

I will inquire about either an over night or weekend test because that would be the best type of test! I have a scheduled test drive this week. Where I'm at, you never see a single Tesla unless you go into the beach side multimillion dollar homes, so the test drives may be a bit more strict.

I do notice that the feedback is pro MS (obviously since this is a forum for Tesla) but I do like the feedback that also gives the minivan it's perk. Although this isn't a purchase out of excitement, just trying to look at other options than a minivan, and switching to a regular sedan is eh... An SUV would be more expensive. So I think to have me switch its this or minivan.

For those that had both (or similar vehicle), what did you find you miss the most? Was it over all day to day room? Practicality? (sliding doors do make parking and getting the kids out less worrisome, specially with the pointy back seat doors). What about short term? Such as, I don't see me needing all the minivan practicality for a few years working and going to school full time (way less time for trips). I could always buy another minivan (or like) in a few years. My kids day to day luggage consists of backpacks, tablets and headphones. No strollers, diaper bags, sports equipment etc.

Thanks again!!

15. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

We moved from a Sienna Limited to a Model S. 90D. No issues. I added a tow hitch for bike racks and have never looked back. We did consider the X, but neither of us liked the body style or the inability to fold the 2nd row seats. Also the FWD seemed problematic at the time, and provided no value added benefit. The reduced range and lack of a sunroof further sealed our decision on the X, in our case it made no sense when compared to the superior specs of the Model S.

We also had an Odyessy prior to the Sienna. My wife's only complaint is the lack of adjustable seat belt shoulder height and she wishes the air suspension would raise the car higher. She is 5'4".

16. MS16

MS16 Member

As a family vehicle, crash safety is probably something you're interested in. The 2016 version of the Honda is rated much higher than the S. The 2017 Odyssey will only improve on that.

The Odyssey is a remarkably safe vehicle, both in crash testing and in number of fatalities, zero.

Record 9 Models Have Zero Driver Deaths, IIHS Says - NBC News

The nine vehicles are:
    • Audi A4 4WD
    • Honday Odyssey
    • Kia Sorento 2WD
    • Lexus RX 350 4WD
    • Mercedes-Benz GL-Class 4WD
    • Subaru Legacy 4WD
    • Toyota Highlander hybrid 4WD
    • Toyota Sequioa 4WD
    • Volvo XC90 4WD

• Like x 1
  17. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

#17 Xenoilphobe, May 8, 2017
    This report only reports drivers and was limited to the 2011 model year. Unfortunately the Odyessy is not fatality free I found too many examples to post. In fact none of these cars are fatality free.

Man killed in crash along 580 in Oakland

KPD identifies three people killed in I-640 crash

Two boys, ages 12 and 14, killed in five-vehicle crash near Wenatchee

Stay away from light small cars or large vehicles with high center of gravity and no ESC. Get something heavy with a low center of gravity and large crumble zones. Never put anyone you cherish in the third row

IMG_0377.PNG

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  18. Plastic6

Plastic6 Member

I had a X in order and after reading that is was not to parity with my S AP 1 car I decided to look at other alternatives. I purchased a Chrysler Pacifica. I decided I could buy 4 of these for the price of 1 model X! The entertainment system is fantastic! I remember I had a model X loaner and the kids were like "cool" hmmm. I brought the new minivan home and the kids went crazy! That is when I realized who am I buying this car for me or the kids? Their reaction saved me $120,000!!! It has been months of owning the van and reading this forum, I couldn't be happier!!!

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  19. ChrgdTeCHick

ChrgdTeCHick Member

Yes safety is pretty much my #1 concern for sure! Although I rethought the S actually had higher ratings (by a fraction if a hair) than the Ody. The Ody I would get is the 2018 which reports ha e not come out yet. But with the history I'm sure it will be very high.

I'm 5'4 as well. I'll keep heigh/viewing in mind when doing a through test drive.

I just thought about this too. I could get the MS and a Minivan that isn't as expensive as the Ody, and have the best of both worlds. My residual on my Ody is $18k and the resale is roughly $24k right now. Maybe I should just buy it at end of lease and have both? I'll have to look at the insurance on both and decide.

I mean, if anything, I could always get that second bigger vehicle later on, right? Not like buying a home that's a long term commitment (although I want to keep the MS for many moons to come). I could even get a decent used minivan instead since I won't need all the bells and whistles on it, specially since everything compared to a Tesla is well, old school/dumb phone feeling.

I currently don't have the entertainment and navigation on my Ody now. Kids have tablets and I use my phone for navigation when needed. So some of the non size perks of the van I currently have in a portable version I can use in the Tesla.

Not sure if I came here to be talked out of an MS or into one, but I'm certainly leaning MS. As one reply said, I'm here, I pretty much already made my decision

20. bak_phy

bak_phy Member

How do the kids feel about sitting 3 in a row in the MS?
    I have 3 kids (13,10,8) and we used to have the MS, but once the second kid turned 10 we could no longer use the 3rd row jump seats and switched to an MX. We also have a 2007 Odyssey as backup but we rarely use it, but I'm sure the 2018 is much improved.
    Going back to a gas powered car was never really an option for me one I'd gotten used to the daily convenience of just plugging in the car as well as the instant power.