Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minivan or MS... Can't decide!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do the kids feel about sitting 3 in a row in the MS?
I have 3 kids (13,10,8) and we used to have the MS, but once the second kid turned 10 we could no longer use the 3rd row jump seats and switched to an MX. We also have a 2007 Odyssey as backup but we rarely use it, but I'm sure the 2018 is much improved.
Going back to a gas powered car was never really an option for me one I'd gotten used to the daily convenience of just plugging in the car as well as the instant power.

They LOVE the car. And having 3 full size seats in the back make a big difference. Even I fit in the middle very comfortable. The one we saw didn't even have the jump seats, that would be a gold mine for them. I know practicality of them will go away within a few years, but my kids are on the smaller end so even the almost 10 year old is well below the limits (comfort wise will be different) so I think regardless they will be useful, if anything, as back ups when we need more than 5 seats.

I had a X in order and after reading that is was not to parity with my S AP 1 car I decided to look at other alternatives. I purchased a Chrysler Pacifica. I decided I could buy 4 of these for the price of 1 model X! The entertainment system is fantastic! I remember I had a model X loaner and the kids were like "cool" hmmm. I brought the new minivan home and the kids went crazy! That is when I realized who am I buying this car for me or the kids? Their reaction saved me $120,000!!! It has been months of owning the van and reading this forum, I couldn't be happier!!!
How old are your kids? In a few years they're going to be a little pissed when you tell this story.

If the mini-van is the choice of formats, you owe it to yourself to test drive the PHEV Pacifica Van. 33 miles of all electric range, yet 50% better fuel economy than the Odyssey. Honda 22mpg, Pacifica 32mpg. Honda 15 bbl of oil, Pacifica 4 bbl of oil relative impact.

Compare Side-by-Side

But yeah, a Tesla Model X would be my choice of the two formats. But all 5 of my kids have their own cars and lives. Minivans with entertainment centers were a Godsend back then.

Last edited:
Long story short: 3 kids (9,7,5) currently have a '14 Odyssey, lease coming to end, debating between getting a new fully loaded '18 Ody or a pretty loaded CPO MS 85. Located in Florida, 80+ mile a day commute that's primarily taking the kids to school, then I work full time, take kids home, then off to the University for me some evenings (for the next few years) and various family outings on the weekends. So the minivan room isn't a necessity for but more useful. If you "downgraded" in size, what is your experience?

Long story: I currently have a '14 Odyssey that I purposely leased pending the '18 Ody (the new generation). After years of waiting and looking at the news for announcements and the car shows, it was finally announced! I was so excited until I realized that all the upgrades were more geared towards families with very young kids (seats that slide.. More... Side to side for easy car seat buckling, cabin camera for RF kids etc). Did have one perk, ability to speak to the 3rd row through the headphones or speakers from the front. Aside that, well, it was my current minivan with some upgraded items. Either way, I decided to upgrade from an EX-L (no Navy or rear entertainment) to a touring or touring elite to go all out this time.

Then I found out about Tesla CPO's.... And my debate started.

I started to put together all the numbers to see over all cost of purchasing the new Ody (estimating a little over current cost) and CPO's. Even with the cost being somewhat higher on the MS then a filly tricked out Ody, and the slight increase of insurance, the $200+ gas bill a month would drop to $30-$40 electric ($.06 electric charge in my area). I, for the most part, would end up paying less a month/year with the MS. Great, now reasons to get the MS are stacking up even more.

I started to review this forum and others for stories of families in the MS. I have visited the Tesla store and have had my kids sit in it for true room visual. I then took a look at my van and how I use it. I started to realize just how much "junk" we keep in it because, well... the room us there. I even keep a 2nd row seat out completely 99% of the time so 3rd row access is easier. We have maxed out seating a total of two times in 5 years, on trips I don't see doing similar ones of for a while. I have used it for a lot of home improvement and IKEA trips where all seats out but driver was taken advantage of (can fit a piece of plywood flat). But then I thought... Those were very very rare... Plus Lowes/HD have rental trucks. I could rent a minivan if I need more room on a trip. My kids don't play sports, and I don't carpool. Plus I work full time and go to a university full time for now, so the vehicle is mainly taking the kids to/from school, and simple weekend outings. Truck/frunk have more than enough room for the "junk" on those situations.

I started to take the MS search seriously. I decided that if I wanted to transition down to a sedan from a Minivan that we use all 3 rows in (cause its there and we can) l I should look at ones with the jump seats (but with the mentality of "use when/if needed" not everyday due the the gripes from them) After months of research, subscribing to EV-CPO and working with a CPO rep, I have narrowed it down to two I like. A 2013 P85 (pre-parking sensors, but has everything else) with $30k miles in my state, so no shipping charge, or a 2014 85 $28k miles, $1k more and $2k shipping. The 2013 is looking to be the best deal so far (for my wants)

The numbers add up, the room we need seems to be there (although obviously less than the van), but... I can't decide if I should downgrade in size to an MS? If you did, I want your feedback. I over think, over read, research non stop to make all decisions, and then I have buyers remorse for a bit on everything. Transitioning from a Minivan to a full luxury sedan isn't something I can find tons of stories on. The Tesla fits me 100x more than a minivan ever would. I am not at all a "soccer mom," although the Ody is one amazing van and don't mind owning one.
We have an Odyssey and my MS. We often need seating for six to eight people, so we couldn't even really replace our van with an MX. It works well to have both cars. It's a 2012 odyssey and it does feel like there is something wrong with it after I've been driving my Tesla. ICE cars are messed up. If I was you I would get the MS and get a used minivan for under $10,000, for camping and the occasional times I had more than four passengers.

They LOVE the car.
The whole family seems to be on the same page then. :)
The 3rd row jumps seats were a bit of a mixed bag. On the plus side the kids love to have their own little room in the back and you don'tr need to carry booster seats around. There's also an extra 2 seats, with built in booster seats, available if you need to pick up some extra kids.
On the negative sides you do give up a bit of storage space in the back but there's so much that it's rarely if ever an issue. The real issue in my 2014 MS was thatit could get really hot back there as the airflow wasn't really adequate. Perhaps they have improved on that since. I would definitely get a pretty heavy tint on the rear window to block the heat.

I just thought about this too. I could get the MS and a Minivan that isn't as expensive as the Ody, and have the best of both worlds. My residual on my Ody is $18k and the resale is roughly $24k right now. Maybe I should just buy it at end of lease and have both? I'll have to look at the insurance on both and decide.

I mean, if anything, I could always get that second bigger vehicle later on, right? Not like buying a home that's a long term commitment (although I want to keep the MS for many moons to come). I could even get a decent used minivan instead since I won't need all the bells and whistles on it, specially since everything compared to a Tesla is well, old school/dumb phone feeling.

I currently don't have the entertainment and navigation on my Ody now. Kids have tablets and I use my phone for navigation when needed. So some of the non size perks of the van I currently have in a portable version I can use in the Tesla.

Not sure if I came here to be talked out of an MS or into one, but I'm certainly leaning MS. As one reply said, I'm here, I pretty much already made my decision

Ok. I went this route that you are thinking of. I came from a 2011 Toyota Sienna and was thinking about the Model S for a few months, vs the Model X, when I realized that for the price difference, I could just keep my minivan. It's worth about 10k now because it has 125k miles on it and is a 2011. It is pretty stable on value for the next couple of years due to the depreciation of miles.

So I decided to purchase a new Model S and keep the van. Now I have 8 passenger capabilities from the van when I need it as well as lots of cargo capacity when I need it, plus the 104MPGe for every day driving. I've had my Model S for 6 months now and have not even driven the minivan. It sits in the driveway.

That being said, I do regret not buying the X. The reasons I didn't buy the X in the first place related to the longevity of the falcon wing doors, the styling not being as sexy as the S, the higher initial cost, as well as the higher consumption. I also like the more space and more headroom in the front as well as the trailer hitch (but you can add a 3rd party one to the S, for bikes).

But if you really take a look at it, the X isn't really that much more. about $8,000 (new to new comparison of similar features 5 seater). But what you do get is a bunch more storage. Tesla states 31.6 cu.ft. for the S, and 88 cu.ft. for the X in the 5 seat configuration with the seats folded down.

So in the end I kept the Sienna and it has been parked in the driveway ever since. I have gone into the minivan a couple times, just to fetch items to put in the S. And I have 2 kids at home ages 10 and 12.

The only thing we'll have to see right now is if we can go on our camping trips in the S and still pack everything we need into the car. If we can do that, and add the hitch for the bikes, we're golden.

I replaced my Honda Element with a Model S last year. I don't have kids, but I do haul around a lot of hobbies, dogs, and frequent long weekends. The Model S is incredibly capable! The dogs have _more_ room in the back. The hobbies generally fit inside just fine. I put the eco-hitch on the back for a bike rack. And now I can have 4 comfortable passengers!

I appreciate the If I get another minivan (and no Tesla) it would be the Ody. Just because its just so nice!

I am so grateful for all these responses. Way more "similar" stories than I was able to find via research. Helping me male this decision a little easier

I am hovering my mouse over that deposit button.....

I just got a quote on my Ody as a trade in that is right in the middle of the KBB or Black Book trade in value interval and at the residual value of my lease (I'm within 2-3 months of lease end). I may be able to make a grand or two if I sell it myself, but that time investment in that process also costs (I like to value my time). I'd have to by it, and sell it within 10 days to avoid the taxes, which sounds like a stressful 10 days. Trading it in saves me about $1300 in taxes, and they handle all the transferring, paying off etc.

Any drawbacks to that, that I may be missing?

The trade in would reduce my taxes on the MS by $1300sh too.

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but have you considered your home charging setup?

Thank you for mentioning this and yes. I know that adds some cost. I have a current regular plug on my garage that the car would pull right up to that if I buy the MS I'm having an electrician come swap it and the wires/breaker to a 240v. It doesn't get used otherwise.

Ok! Just making sure you have an idea of what that will cost you, have you had an electrician come and look at your panel? The reason I ask is because I just got my MS about 3 weeks ago and started planning my home charging setup and I basically have to upgrade my panel which is more than I was planning to spend. I'm currently using a basic outlet to charge and commute about 80 miles a day and I'm not charging fast enough for what I'm consuming, so about once a week I have to visit a supercharger and/or charge at work.

I am hovering my mouse over that deposit button.....

I just got a quote on my Ody as a trade in that is right in the middle of the KBB or Black Book trade in value interval and at the residual value of my lease (I'm within 2-3 months of lease end). I may be able to make a grand or two if I sell it myself, but that time investment in that process also costs (I like to value my time). I'd have to by it, and sell it within 10 days to avoid the taxes, which sounds like a stressful 10 days. Trading it in saves me about $1300 in taxes, and they handle all the transferring, paying off etc.

Any drawbacks to that, that I may be missing?

You can also try CarMax which I found was very easy to deal with on another car I sold (I did not want to deal with the hassle of a private sale, even though I could probably get a bit more $). When I traded in for my S last fall Tesla offered to match the CarMax price -- I assume that is still true but am not sure. In my case, Tesla's offer actually came in about $1500 higher than CarMax's but others have reported that they got better offers from CarMax so it might be worth checking.

By the way, I used to drive an Odyssey (2000, so a bit older). The Odyssey was very practical. The Model S is also very practical but puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. There is literally no comparison IMO.

Ok! Just making sure you have an idea of what that will cost you, have you had an electrician come and look at your panel? The reason I ask is because I just got my MS about 3 weeks ago and started planning my home charging setup and I basically have to upgrade my panel which is more than I was planning to spend. I'm currently using a basic outlet to charge and commute about 80 miles a day and I'm not charging fast enough for what I'm consuming, so about once a week I have to visit a supercharger and/or charge at work.

I had to replace it 7 years ago (moved into a Pacific recalled panel) and now am maxed out at my panel because of my recent kitchen remodel. Adding induction cooktop and convection oven and more lights maxed me out. But the breaker that controls the outlet now used to control my old dishwasher and now only that outlet so it could go several ways. I put an upgrade on my budget sheet just in case. Closest super chargers to me are no where near my commute. Not even in the same city for that matter, so proper home charging would be very important to me.

You can also try CarMax which I found was very easy to deal with on another car I sold (I did not want to deal with the hassle of a private sale, even though I could probably get a bit more $). When I traded in for my S last fall Tesla offered to match the CarMax price -- I assume that is still true but am not sure. In my case, Tesla's offer actually came in about $1500 higher than CarMax's but others have reported that they got better offers from CarMax so it might be worth checking.

By the way, I used to drive an Odyssey (2000, so a bit older). The Odyssey was very practical. The Model S is also very practical but puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. There is literally no comparison IMO.

Thanks. I was going to try them too. The Tesla is an estimate pending inspection, but the car is in great shape so the inspection shouldn't change it much if at all.

The Odyssey is a wonderful family vehicle that lasts a long time. When the nasty recession came along we ended up keeping our Odyssey about 10 years--longer than planned. I think you may like keeping the Odyssey along with a CPO Tesla. The model S is deceptively large marking it somewhat difficult to park and negotiate tighter situations. The great aerodynamics make vision to the rear and sides more restricted. There are places that I prefer not to park my model S--any parking lot with shopping carts or tight parking structures.

Yes safety is pretty much my #1 concern for sure! Although I rethought the S actually had higher ratings (by a fraction if a hair) than the Ody. The Ody I would get is the 2018 which reports ha e not come out yet. But with the history I'm sure it will be very high.

I'm 5'4 as well. I'll keep heigh/viewing in mind when doing a through test drive.

The Model S has not been able to achieve a top rating in IIHS crash testing.

Tesla made several design changes in late 2016 and retested with IIHS, but the Model S still failed to earn the highest marks. ("Tesla ran into problems in the test when the safety belt allowed the dummy's torso to move too far forward. That allowed the dummy's head to hit the steering wheel hard through the airbag".)

Two electric cars miss IIHS awards

The Odyssey earned a IIHS Top Pick award for safety in 2016 and got the highest rating in each separate crash test.

The Model S has not been able to achieve a top rating in IIHS crash testing.

Tesla made several design changes in late 2016 and retested with IIHS, but the Model S still failed to earn the highest marks. ("Tesla ran into problems in the test when the safety belt allowed the dummy's torso to move too far forward. That allowed the dummy's head to hit the steering wheel hard through the airbag".)

Two electric cars miss IIHS awards

The Odyssey earned a IIHS Top Pick award for safety in 2016 and got the highest rating in each separate crash test.
Tesla made another chance January 23 but it hasn't been retested yet