Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minivan or MS... Can't decide!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PLEASE consider this... if you can afford a Model S or a brand new fully loaded minivan that costs close to the same (really? wow)... then, seriously, you're not hurting for money. So why look at the fuel equation in dollars? That $200/gas per month is a fackload of pollution no matter what way you slice it and regardless of what it costs. The electric is... well, it is a lot less. Florida does rely heavily on fossil fuels for electricity generation, but that will change as solar/wind/tidal energies are developed at some post-Trump future. Even while it is dino-powered, it is a ton more efficient to generate electricity centrally and distribute it to power cars than to have millions of individual power plants chugging along.

Take advantage of your current position and put your children's environmental future into the picture. You have an opportunity to lead. Take it.

You have a valid point in deed. I mainly looked at the numbers because I'm a statistician/data analyst so numbers is now I look at everything. Past the numbers, you are so true on many levels. Environment, gas/ pollution etc.

I started looking at EV's a while ago for those same reasons. FL is just way behind in the EV world so I couldn't even get most of the EV cars here . I then started thinking about the 2018 ody and a 2017/2018 Hyundai Ioniq EV, but that won't come to FL for a long time. Then came across the Tesla CPO (because I would still like a comfortable cost with my vehicles so brand new that isn't bare bones just isn't in the budget I want to be in) and that's what started this.

And now every time I am filling up my 20 gallons at minimum once a week, $50 later, I just think to myself... if I had that Tesla I wouldn't be smelling this gross fumes or wasting my time here... (On top of the other environmental perks)

Very good call out. I did include this in my budget review for the next 3-5 years for both. In the end the Tesla was still cheaper (but 5 years older, 30k miles starting out etc, plus that's estimating basics, not all those unexpected). I spent about $500 on the Ody in 3 years on the basic oil changes, probably another $100 or so on alignment, and $750 on tires plus all the extras like wipers and such, so $450 a year is I average.. But I also bought it brand new. Now is where I'd start getting into the expensive fixes. Although brand new is what I'd buy an Ody anyway so I'd be low first few years.

Maintenance costs on the S are listed here. Maintenance Plans

The cost is pretty steep, especially the 50,000 mile service at $850, the lowest the yearly service goes is $475. This doesn't include tires of course which don't last terribly long with the 21" staggered tires (can't rotate them). Depending on how many miles are on the tires of the used one you get, you could end up buying new tires within a year or so.

On a brand new Odyssey, tires should last for several years and the yearly service should be fairly cheap since it's a Honda and service can be performed anywhere.

One last item of awareness on safety/security, the Model S does not have a spare tire or run flat tires or an air compressor in the car. If you get a flat or blow out you're down until roadside assistance brings you a spare wheel/tire.

If you go with a CPO, make sure you review some of the threads in here on how the CPO process has gone. It's not like a CPO from BMW or Mercedes.

I added in what I paid for the 3 years I had the Ody (averaged $450 a year for the first 3 years of life, which were tires, rotation and oil changes) and I added in the 3 separate yearly costs for the Tesla and $1200sh for tires annually. Numbers still look good surprisingly. The Ody just sucks up so much gas since I do mainly city diving. 19mpg is my best average. The 2013 is a P85 not + so I can rotate, which helps a bit. Although I would have preferred the 19's for several reasons.

Hooray!

Listen... you have a win win situation

Do you stick with the tried and true dependable uber versatile and functional, but boring, minivan?
Or the awesome cool slightly less functional electric sports car that comes with a steep price?
Both are great options.

I went from Lexus RX330 to model S.

Overall I love the S

But I miss the height of the SUV. I miss the smooth ride. I miss the cargo (the S is wide but short). I mostly miss my bike hitch

But I don't miss the gas or the sluggish acceleration

Overall I LOVE My S.
But had I kept the Lexus? I would have loved the cash in my pocket and my bike hitch

Go with your guts. Both cars will meet almost all of your needs and most of your wants

We have a AWD Siena since we had our 2nd kid (8yrs ago) and have 2 electric cars (the MB B-class and the 2016 MS). Since I bought the MS, I have rarely used the Siena - it is gathering dust. The driving dynamics are so far apart that I don't feel like taking the Siena out anymore for any long drives. We do use the siena on teh weekends for soccer games - where we carry some canopies, chairs etc for kids and for us spectators. I have fit those same equipment in the MS once - so I know they would fit just fine for space (we don't have the rear facing seats in our MS and we have 2 kids).

We plan to sell the Siena later this year after the camping season is over. My summary of comparisons are:
* I let the kids do their thing in the Siena. Make it dirty, spill, put on headsets for their DVD-based central overhead screen, lots of cup holders etc. Those flexibilities are somewhat limited on the MS on long drives. With 2 kids in the back, there is plenty of space in the middle to carry their gadgets etc, but they are aware this is dad's favorite car and they aren't just as kids as they would be in the minivan. In long drives, on open roads, my daughter very rarely would unbuckle (after asking for permission) and do a quick walk/stretch for 10 seconds and buckle back (I don't recommend this to anyone and should have never allowed it - she has outgrown that anyways, but boy she loved that feeling to stand upright and stretch... :))
* I do get parents from overseas that stay for a month or two with us (once in a year or two), and the 7-seater is a bonus.
* cheap to service and fix anything. Just go to any local store and get things done quickly and cheaply (I always buy the OEM parts from online for any service).
* bike rack attachment. I have always left it on and find it useful.

Despite those three virtues of minivan, I will sell it.I can't drive this car anymore safely - too much of a compromise and I think it is dangerous to switch between a MS and a minivan. The brakes, the steering, the suspension: too much adjustment. For the time when I have guests that need 7seaters, I will turo/rent a 7-seater. As for bike rack, I will most likely do what others have done - add a hitch (I am sure it would be expensive $500 for the rack + perhaps another $1K for installation).

I see that you have made your decision and it is a wise decision. Congrats!

Reactions: ChrgdTeCHick
Ok! Just making sure you have an idea of what that will cost you, have you had an electrician come and look at your panel? The reason I ask is because I just got my MS about 3 weeks ago and started planning my home charging setup and I basically have to upgrade my panel which is more than I was planning to spend. I'm currently using a basic outlet to charge and commute about 80 miles a day and I'm not charging fast enough for what I'm consuming, so about once a week I have to visit a supercharger and/or charge at work.

For homes that require a panel and service upgrade to add a 50 Amp circuit, ask if a 30 Amp circuit can be added. 30 Amp breaker allows 24 Amp 240 V charging, which is fast enough for overnight charging to meet almost anyone's needs. If your panel can't do 30 A, even a 20 A circuit (16 A charging) is enough for people that normally drive less than 100 miles per day. This is what I have, and it even comfortably handles the occasional 200 mile day, since I don't need a full charge the next day.

Another option for some people would be to convert an electric stove, water heater, or dryer to natural gas or propane.

GSP

• Informative
Reactions: phaduman
We have a AWD Siena since we had our 2nd kid (8yrs ago) and have 2 electric cars (the MB B-class and the 2016 MS). Since I bought the MS, I have rarely used the Siena - it is gathering dust. The driving dynamics are so far apart that I don't feel like taking the Siena out anymore for any long drives. We do use the siena on teh weekends for soccer games - where we carry some canopies, chairs etc for kids and for us spectators. I have fit those same equipment in the MS once - so I know they would fit just fine for space (we don't have the rear facing seats in our MS and we have 2 kids).

We plan to sell the Siena later this year after the camping season is over. My summary of comparisons are:
* I let the kids do their thing in the Siena. Make it dirty, spill, put on headsets for their DVD-based central overhead screen, lots of cup holders etc. Those flexibilities are somewhat limited on the MS on long drives. With 2 kids in the back, there is plenty of space in the middle to carry their gadgets etc, but they are aware this is dad's favorite car and they aren't just as kids as they would be in the minivan. In long drives, on open roads, my daughter very rarely would unbuckle (after asking for permission) and do a quick walk/stretch for 10 seconds and buckle back (I don't recommend this to anyone and should have never allowed it - she has outgrown that anyways, but boy she loved that feeling to stand upright and stretch... :))
* I do get parents from overseas that stay for a month or two with us (once in a year or two), and the 7-seater is a bonus.
* cheap to service and fix anything. Just go to any local store and get things done quickly and cheaply (I always buy the OEM parts from online for any service).
* bike rack attachment. I have always left it on and find it useful.

Despite those three virtues of minivan, I will sell it.I can't drive this car anymore safely - too much of a compromise and I think it is dangerous to switch between a MS and a minivan. The brakes, the steering, the suspension: too much adjustment. For the time when I have guests that need 7seaters, I will turo/rent a 7-seater. As for bike rack, I will most likely do what others have done - add a hitch (I am sure it would be expensive $500 for the rack + perhaps another $1K for installation).

I see that you have made your decision and it is a wise decision. Congrats!

Thank you for still telling me your story. These type of feedback gives me more to think ahoutbwhetehr I keep the ody or not. I understand what I will loose, but I feel what I will loose we use just because its there not because I NEED it. Even the jump seats werent needed, but as a family of 5 already, I wanted that extra just in case.

For homes that require a panel and service upgrade to add a 50 Amp circuit, ask if a 30 Amp circuit can be added. 30 Amp breaker allows 24 Amp 240 V charging, which is fast enough for overnight charging to meet almost anyone's needs. If your panel can't do 30 A, even a 20 A circuit (16 A charging) is enough for people that normally drive less than 100 miles per day. This is what I have, and it even comfortably handles the occasional 200 mile day, since I don't need a full charge the next day.

Another option for some people would be to convert an electric stove, water heater, or dryer to natural gas or propane.

GSP

Thank you for this as I still have to rake care of the electrical. I noticed I actually have two spots for my irrigation system that is dead and have never been used, so I think I have the room for the 50amp. The panel is 200w. That way if I need a subpanel for future I can do it later. Would you suggest going ahead and doing 50 if I have the room and I'm already having an electrician come in? We would generally be under 100 miles a day (but right at) and 8+ hours to charge. My electric company is 6 cents per, no matter the time.

Gas isn't really an option. Its very very rarely used here, currently not ran to my house (don't even know if its near the house too) amf the stove and dryer are new within the last year. I'm actually thinking solar heating for the water when it goes out because we get rebates here for that too, and well, why not go solar right?

Reactions: phaduman
What??? In Cali, the peak rate is 4xc per kw. Nights are 11. I have solar, so I don't complain but wow, 6c / min - that is pretty much wholesale price I think. Good for you.

California is nuts. We have a power shortage, they raise the rates to punish high usage, then when we stop using power, they whine they aren't selling enough power anymore, so they raise the rates anyways.

We should have the cheapest power in country, but we don't.

And now, the cost of electricity or gas isn't really the issue, it's road tolls. We are $20.85 a day one way if you are a member of the Royal Family and need to go 20 miles.

Luckily, I'm a driver formally known as Prince. :D Too soon?

This is probably how they will tax EVs for road use in the future. $1 a mile to use the roads.

I agree!!!! Kids love the van

Using anything but a minivan for car seats and kids, is like using pliers versus a socket set to loosen a bolt.

There is a right tool the for job, and the Minivan is a specific tool. Small kids can climb in, easy to clean, easy to deal with kids while driving, overhead entertainment, no swinging kid doors so kids (or you) won't bash somebody's door in a parking lot, lots of room for strollers, storage pouches, etc, etc.

My wife is a V8 sports car or pickup kind of gal, and our minivans left the minute the kids didn't need mandated seats, but she has to admit she love them when she needed the right tool.

Using anything but a minivan for car seats and kids, is like using pliers versus a socket set to loosen a bolt.

There is a right tool the for job, and the Minivan is a specific tool. Small kids can climb in, easy to clean, easy to deal with kids while driving, overhead entertainment, no swinging kid doors so kids (or you) won't bash somebody's door in a parking lot, lots of room for strollers, storage pouches, etc, etc.

This is very true. But I also noticed it depends on the ages and activities. For me, I've had once since 2011 and I have beloved using it! But now I don't have strollers, iPads vs overhead entertainment (never got it in the van, had back seat DVD's never used too) and only 1 really needs the seat. I have all 3 in them now because they fit and safer and we have the room. None play sports so we typically don't have many "extras" in the van. Although I see me parking very far or opening the doors for them so that sharp back door point doesn't hit another. The sliding doors is certainly the best perk that I enjoy from the van.