Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minivan to Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was absolutely thrilled that our MX was able to replace an Audi Q5 and a Honda Odyssey van. The Odyssey is at the top of its class when it comes to vans. But it's still a van and rarely needed with the X being able to seat six!

I wonder if someday they X can be setup as a stow and go as the Dodge Caravan. Have 7 seats but all of them fold able so you can have a flat surface for cargo on the rare occasions you might need it for that purpose.

Waiting for our 90D with non-perforated ultra-white seats (have 2 youngens in carseats), currently have a Prius and an Odyssey.

The Odyssey in my view appears to have the X beat out in terms of pure utilitarianism, but hopefully I will be proved wrong for the most part once I get my new ride.

So after having thoroughly enjoyed our X for about 3 weeks now, my wife and I have been quite happy with the X, serving both as a family hauler and daily driver.

The one time we missed our Odyssey was last weekend while at Ikea when we couldn't purchase a shelf set because we felt it would have been a little too long to fit in the X. In retrospect, I'm sure we could have angled the boxes in the X in a way that they could have fit, but at the time we also didn't want to risk dinging the gorgeous interior.

So after having thoroughly enjoyed our X for about 3 weeks now, my wife and I have been quite happy with the X, serving both as a family hauler and daily driver.

The one time we missed our Odyssey was last weekend while at Ikea when we couldn't purchase a shelf set because we felt it would have been a little too long to fit in the X. In retrospect, I'm sure we could have angled the boxes in the X in a way that they could have fit, but at the time we also didn't want to risk dinging the gorgeous interior.

I have yet to miss the minivan, but I'm sure I will once soccer season begins again. I will miss the 3rd row seats that flip backwards and face out. But, I agree that the X if a fabulous family hauler! So much fun to drive and so much better in the rain/snow than the Odyssey.

Just think, you probably saved yourself a bunch of frustration putting together the shelf set...

My wife still drives her 2002 Odyssey - refuses to upgrade or change to something else. I hate driving the Odyssey so took three kids in the X to Ikea, and managed to fit a set of boxes for a twin Malm bed frame and trundle drawers in our 7-seater. Had the third row seats down to fit the big flat boxes, and rested the two long boxes in the spaces between the headrests. Did the same the following week heading to the mountains with my new 170cm skis (wrapped in a towel to protect the seats). I didn't want to bother with the trailer hitch rack because the kids' skis all fit diagonally in the rear with third row folded.

I have yet to miss the minivan, but I'm sure I will once soccer season begins again. I will miss the 3rd row seats that flip backwards and face out. But, I agree that the X if a fabulous family hauler! So much fun to drive and so much better in the rain/snow than the Odyssey.

Just think, you probably saved yourself a bunch of frustration putting together the shelf set...

LOLOL

Funny you should say that - after we exited Ikea and got in our car, my wife gave me that look (the one all married men have seen), and accused me of having weaseled my way out of the assembling task :D

@AD1902: "I currently have ordered the Ultra White Seats...any concerns from current owners?"

I have had my X with ultra white seats for 3 months. Like other posters, mine are pristine. I use this product every 3 months: Gyeon Q2 Leather Coat. It adds a hydrophobic coating, analogous to Opticoat et al., and works extremely well.

But: the stitching on outside of the driver and passenger seats has blackened. Its really an eyesore and there is no way to protect it from blackening. However, if I had to do it over again, I would not hesitate to pick ultra white again.

Haha, this probably does not sound good but it is honest.

I can't help but feel a bit surprised when a Model X is being used as an alternative for a minivan.

1) Minivan are the best value for money in terms of the utility they provide. Model X is a luxury cruiser for 6.
2) For everyday driving, minivans drive quite well.
3) A $100k car is not in the same league as a $40k car.
4) Why would you want to put kids in a $100k car who will simply mess it up.
5) Where do young families even find the money to afford a Model X?

I can't help but feel a bit surprised when a Model X is being used as an alternative for a minivan.

1) Minivan are the best value for money in terms of the utility they provide. Model X is a luxury cruiser for 6.
Not everyone shops on price alone.

Reactions: TexasRat

My reasons: I am going from a minivan to an X and using it for the same purpose
1 - Our decision wasn't based on a financially smart choice, we wanted to drive electric and wanted a car big enough to fit 2 kids, plus an occasional friend/cousin plus our 150lb dog. MX was our only choice at the moment.
2 - Sure our Odyssey was okay but it isn't electric and we want to drive all electric
3 - No. But again we wanted to drive electric. It wasn't the smartest financial decision. To do that we should have bought a used compact car, and rented on the occasion that we needed a larger vehicle. But eh....we just wanted to buy it.
4 - My kids are 6 and 11. Minimal mess. Plus cars can be cleaned. Shocking, I know!
5 - We are fortunate to both have decent careers. It happens.

Our MX is going to be a total minivan. I might not even wash it very often. It will still be fun! And we will enjoy it.

If you had asked me 6 months ago if I would ever spend over $100K on a car. I would have laughed and said you were crazy...but then we fell in love with the driving electric cars. The Chevy Bolt was our gateway car. LOL

Reactions: TexasRat and ohmman
I’ll add this.

I’d never have even considered pulling a camper in an ICE minivan. And some of our best family vacations have now happened due to having a Model X that can tow our Airstream. It’s not a minivan substitute for us, it blows the minivan away on many fronts. The only thing on the horizon that might replace our current Model X is another Model X with a larger battery capacity.

• Love
Reactions: beths11
I’ll add this.

I’d never have even considered pulling a camper in an ICE minivan. And some of our best family vacations have now happened due to having a Model X that can tow our Airstream. It’s not a minivan substitute for us, it blows the minivan away on many fronts. The only thing on the horizon that might replace our current Model X is another Model X with a larger battery capacity.

I know in another thread you had expressed concern/complaint about your shudder and how it happened quite significantly while towing on your last trip. Would you say that even including that incident and the fact that there seems to be no permanent fix, you would still buy another X? I hope I love it as much as I've experienced the car on the 4/5 drives I've done with it to say the same.

I know in another thread you had expressed concern/complaint about your shudder and how it happened quite significantly while towing on your last trip. Would you say that even including that incident and the fact that there seems to be no permanent fix, you would still buy another X? I hope I love it as much as I've experienced the car on the 4/5 drives I've done with it to say the same.
Yeah, Tesla needs to get a permanent fix to that issue. But I know they will take care of me based on my 4.5 years of customer experience, and I wouldn’t pull my Airstream with anything else. So I’d definitely still buy another.