Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to know what the relationship is between ambient temp and range. I am planning a 246 mile (396km) round trip in a P85 on Sunday with a 30a (110v) RV charge at the destination. The forecast is for a high of -17c. Burnsville to Granite Falls. Thoughts?

There is no easy answer as it depends on how much sunlight you have, and your cabin temperature setting. If you use range mode, cabin heating will add at most 50 Wh/mi @ 65 mph. This might not be enough to keep you warm at -17 C, though. I am also concerned about the 15 to 20 mph headwinds you will face. Bottom line, I think, is that you will make it there provided you adjust your speed to ensure predicted range based on average over past 15 miles remains more than distance to go.

Charging at 30 A 110 V is going to be an issue. That's only 3 kW. The battery heater will use all of that overnight while trying to charge (forecast low for Sunday night is -26 C / -8 F). You will need to plug in immediately upon arriving to try to get as much charging done as possible before the battery cools down. You will probably need at least 40 hours to charge.

Good luck!

Fabulous log. Thank you. I would like to know what the relationship is between ambient temp and range. I am planning a 246 mile (396km) round trip in a P85 on Sunday with a 30a (110v) RV charge at the destination. The forecast is for a high of -17c. Burnsville to Granite Falls. Thoughts?

my limited experience this winter doing 200 mile trips is the following using maximum cruise control, minimal range heating, 60-65mph, and standard preheat protocols...

45 deg F .. 300 wh mi .. 200 rated miles
32 deg F .. 350 wh mi .. 230 rated miles
15 deg F .. 375 wh mi .. 250 rated miles

There is no easy answer as it depends on how much sunlight you have, and your cabin temperature setting. If you use range mode, cabin heating will add at most 50 Wh/mi @ 65 mph. This might not be enough to keep you warm at -17 C, though. I am also concerned about the 15 to 20 mph headwinds you will face. Bottom line, I think, is that you will make it there provided you adjust your speed to ensure predicted range based on average over past 15 miles remains more than distance to go.

Charging at 30 A 110 V is going to be an issue. That's only 3 kW. The battery heater will use all of that overnight while trying to charge (forecast low for Sunday night is -26 C / -8 F). You will need to plug in immediately upon arriving to try to get as much charging done as possible before the battery cools down. You will probably need at least 40 hours to charge.

Good luck!

40 hours to charge. Ugh. And I understand that the Tesla charging system limits the maximum charge to a rated 20A for any 100v source, so it will only pull 16A. That's 1.75kW. Thank you for your help. I don't think we can do it. Darn. Seems like everything is working against us: the temperature, the wind, the charging source, 4 adults in the car...

Starting to prepare for the return trip. Weather over the next 3 days look challenging.

While in Toronto, I visited the service center in Mississauga (to replace a door handle that stopped working after 5.8.4 update), Lawrence Ave (huge new facility) and Yorkdale (said to be the store with highest foot traffic in the world).

I plan to stop at Highland Park on the way back, as well as Madison and Onalaska superchargers if ready. May also do some scouting for the London ON supercharger site if time and weather allows.

Trudging through the unploughed highways in Detroit at @ 70 km/h (45 mph) consuming 270 Wh/km (430 Wh/mi) was no fun and used quite a bit more range than planned.

Charging in Ann Arbor now while visiting some museums at the U of MI.

> my limited experience this winter doing 200 mile trips is the following using maximum cruise control, minimal range heating, 60-65mph, and standard preheat protocols...

45 deg F .. 300 wh mi .. 200 rated miles
32 deg F .. 350 wh mi .. 230 rated miles
15 deg F .. 375 wh mi .. 250 rated miles [balefire]

Nice chart!! My gut feelings all nicely laid out. Will stick this to the dash. Now if I get stranded at least I'll have someone else to blame. :biggrin:
--

J in MN, where's the love? No update today? Too tired? Did you stop here in Mishawaka again? I would love to drive to and from Toronto on only Superchargers. Then I will be able to tell my friends that the early adopter phase is over...

J in MN, where's the love?

Yes, sorry. We arrived late in Mishawaka due to the extra charging required in Ann Arbor.

Charging at Mishawaka Friday morning was NOT super - cold soaked battery and ambient at -19 C / -2 F meant 30 kW (0.5 C) max.

Got to Highland Park at about 2pm where it was a white day, and not just because of the snow:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388848525.292573.jpg

Speaking of white, here is a pic from Chatham ON.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388848662.550413.jpg

Glad I brought a shovel - the car was thoroughly plowed in over night.

I was told that ground was broken on the London ON supercharger, but we couldn't find any evidence at the White Oaks Mall, or anywhere else along Wellington Rd.

Done at Highland Park where sleet is now falling.

Hit an unexpected heavy snow shower in Rockford. 4 of the 6 stalls were snowed in with 14 inch deep drifts. One of the two accessible stalls was not working.

High temperature for the day was 0 C just south of the Dells.

Leaving Mauston now.

Last edited: