Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minnesota and Other Cold Weather S Drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello-

My lease is ending in about 6 months and I've finally decided on the MS being my next vehicle. I was originally looking at CPO 2014 60's but have started to see lower mileage loaded S85's pop up for 5 to 6K more. I don't have a long commute and don't travel very often. However I do like the idea of having the extra mileage if ever needed. But also wouldn't mind saving some money either.

For all those Minnesota or similar climate drivers I'm curious as to what your average typical range is during the Winter months for your 60's and 85's at about 80-90% charge? Also how well does the MS' RWD perform in the snow?

Thanks

I have a P85d in a similar climate. When it gets very cold, range drops dramatically. At -25 I can't get 300 km while using minimal heat. I would take a bigger battery over AWD. But if you're looking at a new 60, you have the option to increase the battery at any time. And there's not that much difference between the batteries in a new 75 and and older 85.

I have a rear wheel drive 60 that I ran with Michelin X-ice last year. It performed much better than my previous front wheel drive Jetta wagon, and I really didn't have any concerns about driving it in poor conditions. The combination of very even weight distribution, along with amazing throttle control is great. For reference, I generally use about 300-310 wh/mile during the summer, but 340-400 during the winter.

I will say that regen braking can present some concerns in the winter. First off, the lack of regen capability until the car warms up is obvious, as it has a much different driving feel. I also happen to have about a 1.5 mile descent shortly after I leave work, so unless I charge at work during the winter, I have no regenerative braking heading down this hill. Because the car rolls so easily (free rolling drive train and low aero drag) it is amazing how much braking is required to prevent myself from careening down this hill, especially during slippery conditions.

Thanks for the responses.

Good to know about regen braking. Due to the price difference I strongly gearing towards a CPO S85. A little bit weary about the older models though based on things I've read but the 4 year 50K limited warranty helps.